Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Switching
I ran some tests on my test server after enabling model switching. It worked pretty well overall but I still need to tweak a few things.

Currently in a players config.cfg file there is no entry for model. If a player comes in to the server like this, the model defaults to Gordon. HLDM models will display but since they were not developed for ricochet they flop around and move around on the pads like they are break dancing. An interesting and amusing effect, but I can see where it would get old quickly. I will change it so that if there is no entry in the player's config.cfg, it will default to either male or female model.

It is also possible for any player to switch to an HL model on their own. This might also be true with CS but since I don't have CS on my computer right now I don't know for sure. Apparently the game engine puts all the models in memory so they can be utilized on the fly. I can see a potential problem if a player has scores of models, it could cause their game to slow down. I would like to prevent this because I think after awhile it will be annoying. Maybe some kind of flag on the server to allow only ricochet models, although I am not sure at this point how to differentiate between the various types.

With the ability to switch models, this could open up teamplay in Ricochet. I know Pique designed the 2v2 map but there were some problems with it that were unrelated to the map. Including teamplay in the server code could fix this and would allow teams on Pique's 2v2 map and on Deathmatch maps. Maybe real clan tournaments?

Anyway, I will post more as progress is made.
I have made a change where if a player comes in and has no model listed in their config.cfg file it will default to the male ricochet model. My next goal is to limit the models accessed to just the ricochet ones.

Try it out in _RICO TEST server...

desNotes
I am now in the process of testing the final code. Currently if someone enters my server (_Enter Here - 24.129.145.8:27016) and does not have a Ricochet model assigned (meaning none or a HL model), the female model will display.

In addition I have placed a 3rd model called fassn_female on the server which will be downloaded to the player when he/she enters. This model is essentially the female model with the human assassin head. I did this to test out the variability.

Players can change the model by typing the following just like HL:

model male
model female
model fassn_female

I decided to make the format of the models to be "anyname_male" or "anyname_female." Without the "_female" or "_male" the models will not display. I did this for two reasons: One, ricochet models are very different than HL, CS, TFC, etc. and using models from other mods are funny for awhile but get distracting quickly. Secondly, the rico models, male and female, are themselves quite different. Some players have commented that they do not like the female model becasue it does not have the same movements as the male. I personally find the male model distracting with all the flips, jumps, etc. By retaining the "_male" and "_female" parts of the name, players will be able to know what the original model was.

There is one thing that I'm sure someone will notice. Currently only the male head displays on the ground when it has been decapped. To me this is not a big thing but I will look into it. I would rather get the changes out there and see how stable they are.

I will be posting more information on the various models in an effort to start some interesting in making additional skins for them.
While testing out the code changes we ran across a bug of sorts. The male model will no longer do back flips and a few other animations. I am looking into it and will do some further testing.

Thanks to the [Cake] guys for noticing and pointing it out last night.
The female asses are HOT. I think I've said this like 8 times now:lol:
LOL PIX you should use that to your advantage when your aiming at someone.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
He needs hands to aim.....
Rofl,:lol:Ahahahahaha, god that was funny. Props wha!
That's wut AFK is for foo!

...or should I say AWC (away while cranking):devil:
I'm not reading this cause I'm strapped on time. But in my own tests, whenever I substitue a model for the basic player ones, I get incorrect animations. I have never tried the default HLDM skins. Just CS and DoD skins, which may very well explain the problem. Do you get the models to appear correctly?
HLDM, CS, TFC, etc. models do not work. You are correct in that they do not have the correct animations. Ricochet has two models, male and female, but the game is hard-coded to use the male model. I modded the code to use both and any skinned variation of the two. I skinned the female modle in black with a GaG (GRITS admin Group) tattoo. Here is a front and back of it for Pix

[Image: admin_female_front.jpg]

[Image: admin_female_back.jpg]
cool shoes
Who's looking at the shoes???:lol:
nice butt ( Y )