Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compiling in Linux
ok, so, now I'm trying to install GCC 2.95.2 as this might actually be able to work with the SDK, but I'm getting the same errors. Luckily... I found a guy who had already done this sort of thing...

Let us now prey that it works for us....
The patch appears to be working... I'm looking right now... and this thing actually compiles a lot further than it had before... just wondering if it'll complete successfully now... oooo... :-D
What do you know, just as I wrote that.... it completed. lol. Successfully... time for the install...

> make install

*holds breathe*
done...

hmm...

what now...
YAY!!!...don't look at me now :ph34r:, i dunno... it's just great to see a working linux version get compiled. i guess the thing that started this whole affair was the idea that we could distribute our server-side modifications to the entire ricochet community...namely holdouts.
sooooo cool net...you actually made it read like an epic saga....and Yep asm that would be one of the reasons evil started all this so we can use ya'lls changes and debugs on our rico servers after we compile them for Linux (all Holdouts servers are Linux)
not sure what the next step is but I am hoping this means it wont be long till some of the changes are incorporated onto the servers...maybe we will quit losing people if they can do things like change skins, or not get annoyed by reconnectors
wow this is gonna be cool
ok

right...
the full steps are:

Quote:[*]download: gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
[*]download: glibc-2.2.patch
[*]unpack tar file using: tar -zvxf gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
[*]change directory using: cd gcc-2.95.2
[*]configure using: ./configure
[*]patch using: cat ../glibc-2.2.patch | patch -p0
[*]make using: make
[*]install using: make install

After that you should be able to start compiling the SDK as per instructions :-D
Oh, and GRITS, I told ya I knaw away till I figure things out ;-)
netniV,

Instructions look great! I will try them out this evening when I get home.

Thanks

desNotes
Your welcome. The files above are hosted on my domain, so you shouldn't have any problems as they are an exact copy of what I used.:)

netniV
I successfully installed the compile and the library patch without incident.

Upon trying to compile the Makefile for ricochet I get the following message:

Makefile file not recognized File format not recognized collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Now to be sure it wasn't a DOS cr/lf problem, I retyped the Makefile using a text editor on
the Linux box. I will see what I can find and continue.

desNotes
i have created a web page for the Ricochet: Team Arena mod. also, i have the code for the "reconnecting" fix as well. i will put the instructions for making a successful linux compilation on the web site soon.

Ricochet: Team Arena
After two nearly full days of making changes to the individual source code files to make the source ansi compliant the Ricochet code has successfully compiled!!!

The size of the dll is a little bigger than the one that comes with the game but that is normal, even without any changes.

Unless someone has a Linux Ricochet server at their house, my next step will be setting up a Ricochet server on my Linux box. I don't want to try it on GRITS' servers because we would need to do a completel restart and I don't want to hassle Holdouts until it is stable.

Anyway

<span style="color:blue">WOO HOO</span>
Good job to all of you...this is really cool
asm,netniV and desNotes
I know there are other geeks out there maybe this is how CS started...kind of cool to be on the ground floor...cant wait for the reunion in 5 years where we can say &quot;remember when......?&quot;
so glad you got the compiling done...big step desNotes
I for one am very excited...it opens some doors for all the developers that hang out around &quot;ricochet&quot; and I am sure the expected changes will help keep people from 'getting bored'
Let me know when you want to test it out on the Holdouts servers...I will have to warn Stefan but I am sure he will be more than willing to shut it down for us.
The dedicated server comes successfully first time for me (the HLDS bit). If you have a problem with that let me know. I can set one up on my connection, but it's not a fixed IP so it might randomly change after a week or two... Plus it's only a 256K uplink, with a 576K down.
After some frustration (due to my impatience in learning Linux), and a few restarts I have a Linux Rico server up and running (_Enter_Here_2). It does not have the new dll yet, thought I would let it run for awahile to ensure stability (plus I'm really tired and if I installed it I would be up all night testing).

So baring a crash, tomorrow night will start the new dll with code from kermit and myself. Cross your fingers everyone.

desNotes
Well, if you need a hand with any of that.. get me access to your box and I'll help out directly ;-) Though, something tell sme that you are now sorted with regards to the linux admin side of things, it's more compiling the code....

(would you believe I dreamt about this and Pique's thread last night :/)
netniV,Jun 26 2003, 10:54 AM Wrote:ok

right...
the full steps are:

Quote:[*]download: gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
[*]download: glibc-2.2.patch
[*]unpack tar file using: tar -zvxf gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
[*]change directory using: cd gcc-2.95.2
[*]configure using: ./configure
[*]patch using: cat ../glibc-2.2.patch | patch -p0
[*]make using: make
[*]install using: make install

After that you should be able to start compiling the SDK as per instructions :-D
THANK GOD I DOCUMENTED SOMETHING FOR ONCE!

Heh. I need this right now ;-) Man, I just re-read this entire thread and it brought back a FLOOD of memories about it all... especially as this was during my previous job.
.asm,Jun 26 2003, 06:47 PM Wrote:i have created a web page for the Ricochet: Team Arena mod. also, i have the code for the &quot;reconnecting&quot; fix as well. i will put the instructions for making a successful linux compilation on the web site soon.

wow .asm I really like the whole &quot;page cannot be displayed theme&quot; :P
FreeFall,Jan 24 2004, 06:53 AM Wrote:
.asm,Jun 26 2003, 06:47 PM Wrote:i have created a web page for the Ricochet: Team Arena mod. also, i have the code for the &quot;reconnecting&quot; fix as well. i will put the instructions for making a successful linux compilation on the web site soon.

wow .asm I really like the whole &quot;page cannot be displayed theme&quot; :P
Yeah, I thought that too. It looked so realistic:)
This is pretty handy and the files, especially patches, are getting hard to find soo. I'll just zip them and put them here.

Took me a few hours just to find the patch.

Gwars uploaded them to the website for me.

http://www.vadavaka.com/downloads/gcc-2.95...5_and_patch.zip
&lt;@Miagi&gt; !8 Am I spamming?
&lt;@ChanServ&gt; Miagi: Yes.
&lt;@Miagi&gt; !8 Should I stop?
&lt;@ChanServ&gt; Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!