Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Typekilling
Ok, one of my pet peeves is people complaining about getting typekilled. Meaning, they were typing something during a match, and the opponent killed them. Now... let's get this completely straight. If I ask you a question, and I am playing you, then you stop to respond, and I kill you, then complain your ass off... I would. But if you're randomly talking to someone else, sometimes I am either impatient (say we are last match or almost the last match), I don't notice (maybe I'm reading something else someone else said, or watching TV), or I don't care (ie, not in a good mood), and therefore I kill you while you are typing. I don't even care if it's at the beginning of the second round, especially if you were playing without typing in the previous round. Sometimes I just fire as quickly as I can, or whatever. Today I was harped at by someone who was annoyed by ONE typekill I did like in the second round. I am sick of that crap, because if you start typing during a game, you run the risk of getting killed. For the most part, I try to wait, but only if I know for sure you are typing or are just afk for a few moments. Some players wait for me to make the first move by just standing there... so I will make the first move, and usually that is headed straight towards your head. If you die... you die. Don't complain, just don't type or wait until a round is over. I don't respond to people's hellos usually because I am in the middle of a game, and don't wanna get typekilled. The person who typekilled you... it is NOT their fault.
The way I look at it is... Type in game at your own risk.

There have been many times when I have stopped in the middle of the round to type something and bonk or slice... I'm dead. ok big whoop, its just a game.

Its a little annoying when I get killed tryping to do admin things, but again I live with it just because 90% of the time I don't give any warning that I'm gonna type something. This is also why I have some warning bound to keys so that when people break rules I don't have to stop and type things out, I just hit a button and the warning is given.
You're probably expecting me to rant back at ya huh? Me being the king of typekilling complainers and all...but honestly I totally hear you. As someone who's ***I'm Stupid for Swearing***ed at people for typekilling I also find myself not realizing someone is typing sometimes and sometimes I even do it just to piss them off. So yes if you ask me something and you typekill me...rest assured your ass will be mine, but if I'm just flirting with Grits or something I know I take the chance. Another thing is that I've learned to type fast and while I'm in midair...so brief short sentences that get the point across, that way I'm not running the risk of becoming a sitting duck. Oh and g-boy...just pwn them some more if they start hassling ya...
I type pretty fast... with on average 80-90 wpm... so I can type pretty quickly, and usually only putting one line in or two... and it's pretty obvious when I'm typing since I will be completely stlil (unusual for me most of the time). It is annoying though were you mention to someone that you are doing something so they just ignore it and blitz ya.

I might moan I might not... but that's it. For those that carry on at you.. there's... MUTE... believe it or not ;-)
If I'm typing stuff while in a game and I get killed, I could care less. To me it's not a big deal, ya know?:thumb:
Normally when someone stops to type something, I bounce around for a bit and fall off anyway :-(
Most of the people who are good in rico and knows me wont typekill me that's great. If i get typekilled it's usually some noob and I dont care coz ill kick his ass anyway :) But I hate when someone good player typekills.. I dunno why but I still hate it.
That's what annoys me... and I told someone that one time... he just said he couldn't be bothered to wait... which is fair enough, but means I end up waiting a LOT longer just because someone has decided that they don't wanna show no respect/patience.

Especially annoyed me one time when I was typing to GRITS on MSN on one machine to rely copies of messagse as they were appearing in game... :-D And I'm a quick typist so it wasn't even as if I was that long... like no more than 10 seconds a go....
like i always say..type on your own time..not in a middle of a match..all conversations can wait:)
I'd rather type than play anyway, but not at the expense of others waiting on me to finish a match. If 10 others are waiting on me to finish up a last match. No typing. But if it's when everyone is matching...np. So many fragile egos on the line....eeeek!
Perhaps HL needs to have the notification icon pop up over your head like in Quake 3 when you are typing....hum?

btw...good to see ya Shakira:D
Interestingly, on that point... have you ever noticed that one or two people seem to be invinicible whilst they are typing? I've had shots go through peolpe that have suddenly stopped to type, and then they say whatever it was and I can hit them instantly... bizairre!:)
Shakira,Jun 26 2003, 08:36 AM Wrote:
Quote:Oh and g-boy...just pwn them some more if they start hassling ya...

Word on the street (or from a very close friend of mine) is that g-boy got pwned once he stopped type killing.
I wouldn't say "pwned" or "stopped" typekilling, considering I never started. There was someone in the server being a total pain in the ass, I was doing the XXX thing to mark who it was, and then I started reading what limitless was saying and I started playing again as I was reading (I do that often). I wasn't really paying attention, it was like the second round, and I didn't notice that cb was typing. So yeah, I started playing again, and fired, and killed. Then I won 3-2 after cb fell in the last round. Then I was called a lousy typekiller... wtf? That's like calling someone a bumper because they happened to be making the same jump as you once, and a collision occurred. Anyone who plays me knows I don't purposely typekill. And pwned? Not quite... I played cb one more time (those were the only two games yesterday we played), and lost 3-2. I think was pissed me off about it was this: I never typekill to get kills or to win matches. I hate it when someone implies that I do. I'd much rather that if it happens, I get the benefit of the doubt, and I consider myself a good enough player that I don't need to do it. And besides that, I prefer competition... I get angry when someone is afk because I wanna play. So why would I start attacking someone while they are typing? If I just didn't notice, or like I said, if I was in a bad mood. Yesterday I was paying attention to something else, and I just started jumping and firing instinctually.
g-boy,Jun 26 2003, 05:17 PM Wrote:

Word on the street (or from a very close friend of mine) is that g-boy got pwned once he stopped type killing.
I wouldn't say "pwned" or "stopped" typekilling, considering I never started. There was someone in the server being a total pain in the ass, I was doing the XXX thing to mark who it was, and then I started reading what limitless was saying and I started playing again as I was reading (I do that often). I wasn't really paying attention, it was like the second round, and I didn't notice that cb was typing. So yeah, I started playing again, and fired, and killed. Then I won 3-2 after cb fell in the last round. Then I was called a lousy typekiller... wtf? That's like calling someone a bumper because they happened to be making the same jump as you once, and a collision occurred. Anyone who plays me knows I don't purposely typekill. And pwned? Not quite... I played cb one more time (those were the only two games yesterday we played), and lost 3-2. I think was pissed me off about it was this: I never typekill to get kills or to win matches. I hate it when someone implies that I do. I'd much rather that if it happens, I get the benefit of the doubt, and I consider myself a good enough player that I don't need to do it. And besides that, I prefer competition... I get angry when someone is afk because I wanna play. So why would I start attacking someone while they are typing? If I just didn't notice, or like I said, if I was in a bad mood. Yesterday I was paying attention to something else, and I just started jumping and firing instinctually.
Chill. Take it easy... with Cadbury's Caramel...
Wow Net, 3 quotes, thats some record. On a little different note: Don't act like your afk. I know some people just stand still off the start, but it really pisses me off when I stop because i think they're gone and then they come alive. Give a little signal. like... turn around or something. Shoot off a push disc, Move slightly from side to side. Dont act AFK just to ***I'm Stupid for Swearing*** me up. Thanks for your time!:thumb::smurf:
*-=][_=-*
I don't do that.:P If I'm playing, there's always a signal at the start:) During the round I might stop... but that's part of play... I wouldn't expect that in the middle of a round I would be typing... just at the starts.
If people stop moving and shooting I stop shooting them. People don't just stop moving in the middle of a match except when they're going to type. I don't know why it's hard to avoid type killing. On the other hand, I couldn't care less when I get type-killed, because it is indeed my own choice. I just think it's a gesture of good sportsmanship to allow someone to type something.
Hi, I"m Jabba and i'm a typekillaholic.

God grant me the Serenity to accept the typekills I cannot change,
the courage to dodge those I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
netniV,Jun 26 2003, 05:43 PM Wrote:
g-boy,Jun 26 2003, 05:17 PM Wrote:

Chill. Take it easy... with Cadbury's Caramel...
yeah (wanted to beat the record:Psure hope it works)

i think arena is for socializing and its hard to socialize without typing, if a conversation is really good then one would want to voice their opinion in it and its hard when your a slow typer (like me), so i thank those who do wait, and to those who don't, they should try waiting a bit, if i'm typing for awhile feel free to kill me. Just remeber its a game :thumb:
Just think about it though, on DM... it's a lot harder to stand around chatting... so you have to stop to make quick things, and that habit (as an admin) is something I do on arena sometimes... only thre, the other player can tell you've stopped...
Quote:There have been many times when I have stopped in the middle of the round to type something and bonk or slice... I'm dead. ok big whoop, its just a game.

ITS NOT JUST A GAME!! ITS MY LIFE!!!!!!