Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a new map
well i made a map and its called rc_compact. It plays alot like rc_deathmatch, BUT its more compact. And of course, the layout is different.

Attached Files
.ace   rc_compact.ace (Size: 47.73 KB / Downloads: 12)
wow good job ill test it out pronto
I don't know what a .ace file is so I renamed it .bsp like all of the other maps. I got an error trying to load the map though.

Mod_LoadBrushModel: maps/rc_compact.bsp has wrong version number (3215714 should be 30)

Anyone want to take a stab at what this means?
[Image: b_560x95.png]
an ace is a type of rar file... i believe thats ur prob
.ace? isnt that a file compressed by WinAce?

/edit lol me and sinbon posted at exactly the same time :lol:

I just downloaded it and uncompressed it with WinRAR and found out that the file was corrupt =/

! E:\My Documents\rc_compact.ace: The archive is corrupt
sorry, winace is my default zip program^_^, anyways i was working on anothe map while i made this one. I made a rc_chipsunf2!!!! woohoo!!!
Its pretty much the same as the orginal, except that there are two pads instead of one.

Attached Files
.ace   rc_chipsunf2.ace (Size: 40.54 KB / Downloads: 4)
Well I hate to say it pG but I still can't open up or unzip any of the things and I even downloaded winace a little bit ago. Sorry.
How do you make maps anyways? Do you have to download a program, or is there something that came with hl?
ok i zipped this files this time, both maps are in here

Attached Files
.zip   maps.zip (Size: 122.46 KB / Downloads: 12)
They're cool maps. I love the compact one, but for some reason both keep freezing up on me after about 3 minutes of playing. Don't really know if this is my fault or something wrong but anyhow awesome maps.
I'll have to try it when i get back
Turtle,Aug 1 2003, 09:17 AM Wrote:They're cool maps. I love the compact one, but for some reason both keep freezing up on me after about 3 minutes of playing. Don't really know if this is my fault or something wrong but anyhow awesome maps.
it shouldn't be my fault, i throughly tested these maps b4 distributing them.... But i can try again.
Well, compact is working now without freezing. For some reason though it still freezes when I try chipsunf2. Don't know why or what's the problem. Maybe it's cause my computer is retarded and won't do things every now and then.
pG,

Are there any easter eggs in the maps?
no... they are dm maps, so i couldn't figure out where i'd place the easter eggs. I was orginally going to put a giant PG above the skybox, but how many ppl would go look for it? you'd have to type spectate, go find it, look at it for a minute then reconnect.
grits when are you going to get these maps onto the GRITS server, so we can test them out with alot of ppl?
I have been monitoring this thread .....soon as I stop seeing "problems"
let me know when everything is fixed and then we will see if our servers like them
I got something like 7fps when I play them...that's cause you didn't use hlvis nor hlrad when compiling.
yes i did. i used zoner's hl tools. and i don't get 7 fps. I get normal fps. try it again, it is probably a comp problem
The maps worked fine for me and the bots I used.
like i said, there are no problems with the maps. Upload them to the server.
Wait I think I found a bug. I looked back and you said they were DM maps. Compact plays arena mode for me and a non working DM on it. Here's what I did. I started a Lan and made the starting map rc_compact. I went to console to addbot. It added bots but they were all red players and we all shot white disks. The game acted like DM however. I changed the map to rc_deathmatch and everything worked fine. I then typed changelevel rc_compact and it loaded but put me in free roaming. I addbot again and compact became arena mode. When I said the maps worked fine I thought Compact was supposed to be arena until I read that you said they were both DM. Either way Compact would make a good arena map or DM map.
yes i noticed that once too, but then i deleted the maps and unzipped them from my zip file and they worked perfectly. BUT i'm gonna make compact into an arena map so i can put my easter egg in it.
update on p&g's bug. it seems that when you load up the maps, the variable rc_arena is set to 1, BUT it loads the map up as deathmatch anyways for some reason and won't allow the powerups to appear. If you change the variable to 0 then reload the map, you can get the powerups. OR you can reload the map again without changing the variable rc_arena and it will load as arena. Unfortuantely I don't know how to fix this and I ask anyone who has made a ricochet map to help me with this weird bug.
Pique would be the best one to ask. If he doesn't see your post, PM him. I asked him a question today on maps and he responded quickly.
if you need to set rc_arena to 0 before it will let you play dm then the map properties is set to arena. just change it to daethmatch/freeforall
ok everyone, i FINALLY got it to play the maps as deathmatch. Here they are for what i hope is the last time.

Attached Files
.zip   maps.zip (Size: 121.55 KB / Downloads: 8)
Now if we can get evil to test them on his linux server and make sure we wont have problems with them on the Holdouts servers...
then we can load them on GRITS Ricochet for everyone
I tried them again and they worked fine. Like I said before Compact would make a good arena or DM map. There are some good moves you can pull off of that center bumper.
well maybe later, i'll release an arena version of rc_compact.