Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ricochet Models
I started looking at the diffrerences between the male and female model before attempting to decompile the file and start messing with the sequences. Here are some statistics on the two models:

No. of sequences:
Male - 39
Female - 37
No. of sequences that do not match: 13

Of those that do not match:
Major - 7
Minor - 4
Missing - 2

The two sequences missing from the female are the backflip and the longjump.

The major differences are sequences where the female is doing movements and the male is just standing there.

In my opinion, the minor differences are not worth doing anything about as they are mildly different but basically doing the same routine.

I would like to hear from the players who have problems with the female model and to describe what the female model is doing vs. what the male model is doing. My first goal is to look through the SDK and see if the calling of the sequences is different for male vs. female. I don't think it is but just to be sure. Next I would like to take a couple of the female sequences that are 'wild' and change them to the basic stand sequence, which is what the male model is doing. As I get more familiar, I will try to tackle the missing sequences.

I have attached an Excel file I am using to compare each sequence in each model for anyone inspired to get involved. Below are links to the VERC Collective page that has links to model viewers and compilers.

Valve Utility Links

Attached Files
.zip   rico_model_comparison.zip (Size: 2.66 KB / Downloads: 6)
Is there anyway to just copy over all the sequences from the male to the female model? Or do you have to remake each of them as you go?
I'm hoping to be able to copy some of the sequences over but it will depend on how similar the two models actually are.
im not the most knowledgeable on models but ive had some custom ones. And of all the ones i downloaded only about 2 player models had custom animations. So your telling me someone who made this really crappy block player model is going to be able to do the same animations as valve did? hell no. There has to be a way to get the same animations for different models and it has to be easy...most likly its just bone/joint placement/nameing.
It ended up being easier than I thought...since the male and female model are close in makeup, I was able to substitute the male animations in the female where there were none or when they were majorly different. It worked on all the ones I tried but one. I was able to get the female model to do a backflip and longjump_throw like the male and toned down some of the weird animations of the female. Here is a screenshot of the beta01_female.mdl(I made her blue so she would stand out):

[Image: beta01_female.jpg]

If anyone would like to try it, d/l it and put it in their c:\sierra\half-life\ricochet\models\player\female\ directory and rename the beta as "female.mdl" A good idea is to first rename the real female.mdl as "female.mdl.nom" so as not to overwrite it.

Next I am going to look at the hitboxes for the female for thos players who think it is too hard to hit the female model.

Attached Files
.mdl   beta01_female.mdl (Size: 1.08 MB / Downloads: 8)
I have no problem hitting a female model:) Ack, sorry, must be the redneck in me (though I was sure I only got that when I'm sun burnt).
The female model was hard to hit at first just because you seem to be watching more then aiming, but after I stopped laughing I was able to hit it easily. :)
The new female model is much better. Her movements are much smoother. I like how she bends over after you decap her.;)
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I must have missed that with the victory lap I usually do....:)
After a week of testing I went on to the next issue with the female model, the hit boxes. I went through the sourcew code for the model and aligned the hitboxes of the female model to the male model as closely as possible. There were a half dozen differences between the two models that could be reconcciled but considering each had 45 hitboxes, I think the differences will now be minimal. Attached are pictures of the male, female and new female with the hitboxes highlighted. I will be making the new female (beta02_female.mdl) available soon.

Standard female.mdl
[Image: female_hitboxes.jpg]

Standard male.mdl
[Image: male_hitboxes.jpg]

beta02_female.mdl
[Image: new_female_hitboxes.jpg]

Feedback is always appreciated...especially if someone notices something I missed.

desNotes
Here is beta02_female.mdl

[Image: beta02_female.jpg]

Here is the model download:

Attached Files
.mdl   beta02_female.mdl (Size: 1.08 MB / Downloads: 13)
so cool and so much work
Thanks desNotes:thumb:
Have you managed to sort out the longjump firing? It kinda wobbles in some weird way.
If you have not downloaded this model you are missing a really cool new change to the ricochet arena. I was jumping off the pads just so I could watch myself fall. The color is amazing and she jumps just as normal as the guy...once in a while she looks weird but once in a while so does the male model and the hit box appears to be the same...people are not having a problem killing me. The red/orange against the black background is brilliant......ok needless to say this is the model I am using....sorry if you guys cant see it because of the way you have your 'players' folders set up because it is a great addition.:thumb:
WOW...I like the blue chick. I just downloaded it and will try it tonight.
Something about that blue spandex...lol. Reminds me of Col. Deering
on Buck Rogers series back in the 80's.
yeah, I like it. There's still a funny bit going on with the animation... but other than that...
Yes, the animations are little strange at times. I believe this is due to the diferences between the male and female model. While the structure is largely the same, there are a few areas that are different, extra or lacking from one to the other. I don't think it is a big thing and I don't think it will affect playing but I'm sure there will be players who get distracted by the movements. I know I was distracted by the male model movements for a long time so I switched to female (old one). Just my personal opinion..
yeah, this must have taken a bit of work...better you than me:P

gj evil