Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for a client side chat log...
I don't know if there is one out there or not, but I would like to have a program that will capture everything from the console into a log file on the clients side.

This would make it easier for people to show what someone did without having to wait for someone with access to the server logs to go and look.

So can it be done? Or has it already been done if so where can I find it?

I've been looking for something like this for a while.
As I always say at work, "Anything is possible but there are almost always ramifications." The data in the log file could be pipped down to the client and logged but the communication between server and client(s) is already quite busy to keep all players up to date with everyone else. With the amount of data coming from the server, piped down to every client would increase lag way beyond what we could all live with.

Parsing the log and sending it to a website for display would be a better solution (but no I'm not volunteering B))
I was just thinking since the chat is sent to the console anyway its already on your system so you don't have to make extra requests to the server and it wouldn't cause extra lag.

I know there is ways to trap the incoming stream of data with a seperate program, its what we have done over at MekTek to use as a cheat detector on the server end. Main problem is we are in the middle of a big project so the programmers don't have time for that.

So since the data is sent to your computer anyway, it wouldn't be much of a hit on the CPU to run it through some external program and to out put it to a text file.

I just have no ability to do that.

Just an idea that I've had screaming in my head for a long time now :)
Now I understand...wasn't thinking of it that way. It probably could be done fairly easily but here is the down side.

I never do mods to the client side of HLDM or Ricochet becasue to implement them, the client dll has to be sent out to everyone in order for it to work. HL requires a client dll on the server and when someone connects the server checks to make sure their client dll is the same as the one on the server. This prevents someone from creating their own cheats inside the client.

If we (as the rico community) end up doing a Ricochet HL2 mod, that would be something to look at.
But there must be a way, otherwise, how would the hacks and cheats out there work, and why would you need things like cheating death, etc... ?:)