Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic: The Gathering
Since the other topic really had nothing to do with Magic: TG and there are a few fans of it here, I figued I would start this topic here.

If you don't like Magic: The Gather or are just going to put it and the people that play it down, don't bother posting in this thread.

I had a nice fine collection of Magic:TG cards. But then ICE age and all those other crap series came out and killed it. There was kids with very powerful cards but didn't cost much to get out. I loved everything up to The Dark, everything after that was mostly crap.

I actually named my deck to the American kill all deck. It was great. It had about 80 cards in it, sometimes more some times less. It was made up of Red, White and Blue with some artifacts thrown in for good measure.

My prized cards in that deck were my 4 dopplegangers and 4 clones. I also had 2 Shivian Dragons, 4 Dragon Puppies, 4 Sara Angels and a few other nice ones.

If I could get down 2 of each color, 6 mana in total, I could get any anything in my deck out. I also had 4 mana flares. When I brought them out people would love me at first, then they would curse me when the 4th one would come out. They would almost always get mana burn and I almost never got it.

Only a few decks beat me and they were days when I couldn't get out 2 of each color. I once held off a guy that won most of the local tournys till he was down to only 3 cards. I had about 10 left and a full hand, then I got the wheel of fortune. In the hand I picked up, I got the cane that allows you to put your grave yard back into your deck. It was very cool.

But now most of my good cards are gone, I still have a few left. When I have the money, i'm gonna try to remake my old collection to what it once was and make it better. But I will only really go for stuff in the first series right upto the Dark. Anything after that I really don't care for.

Whoops sorry for putting so much, but I was addicted to the game. At one point before all the crap came out, my deck was worth well over 300 bucks US. I never really new the true value of it, but was nice. I still have over 3000 or 4000 cards thou most of my rare ones are gone:(
First let me answer this statement from Acid.

Quote:It's like pokemon cards for big people, pretty sad actually.

When I used to play it back when I was 15-18 ( trying to go by memory there) I only saw teenagers and some as young as 10 playing it around. It was a tough game to get into from learning all of the little things and it really made you use your brain which most games do not do today. So if your talking about age when you say "big people" then you are mistaken. Things may have changed in the years since I last played though.

The big reason I stopped along with my friends losing intrest was money. If your going to get into Magic it's going to cost you. It almost became an addition for me. I was buying 1-2 booster packs a week at one time. At the time I quit which was during the Mirage/Tempest expansion I felt that WotC (Wizards of the Coast) was raping it's players for all it was worth just to get people to buy anything that had Magic in it. I remember when expansions and New Editions were few and far between. The anticipation was great. Then it seemed they started coming out left and right which for myself made it hard to keep up with the game. Alot of cards started to sound and play the same as earlier cards just worded abit differantly. At the time I quit I think Starter decks were about 10 bucks and boosters were 3-4. I have no idea what they are now. Plus alot of people had fancy things from 20 sided dice to odd tokens they used to use for certain cards. In the time I was playing Magic I feel it was the explosion period were most new people started.

I started playing after the Fallen Empires expansion (which I thought was weak IMO) but before 4th Edition came out. I wish me and my friends knew about Magic a year or two earlier then we might have had a chance to get those expensive cards like the Black Lotus. I don't think Magic was around in our area anyway when I asked around. I certainly wasn't going to spend the hundreds of dollars on a card anyway. I enjoyed the Chronicals set since it gave me the chance to play some of the older cards I did not get to see. I know some older players were pissed since it brought down the value of some of the originals. I actually enjoyed the Ice Age expansion since it could be played on it's own without the regular Magic Edition. Took me awile to get that Jester's Cap card from there. Another expansion that I thought missed the boat was Homelands. I just felt that it did not add much if anything to the game. The prime of my Magic playing days was a week before my graduation when Alliances was released. I thought that was a great expansion. It was a little after this time I started to lose intrest in the game.

I know I will never play the card version of the game again but I have been looking at the online version. I am undecided though. I know the learning curve would be high if I were to try again.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
When I first started playing I think I was 14 or 15 (can't remember how old I actually was). I started just after 3rd ed was released. It was my one hobby that cost me money. I would pick up a pack of cards now and then and a starter deck once a month.

I had a great time going into halifax and playing friendly games with 10 or 15 people in one day. I would show up at noon and not leave till 8 or 9 at night. It was great. :)

Then The Dark came out. That was an expensive set to buy. 6 bucks a pack at times and only a few cards in each. But most of the time the cards inside were well worth it. They were also hard to get a hold of too.

Then fallen empire came... There was some nice cards but not many. And what made it worse was they flooded the market with them, rare cards were easy to get. By the time I stopped buying Magic cards you could get a box of 36 packs for 15 bucks.

Ice Age came out and again there was a few nice cards, but most of them were crap. Again the market was flooded. Rare cards wen't all that good.

4th ed made most of my nice rare and expensive cards drop drasticly in price. My American Kill All deck went from a 300 buck deck to about 100 bucks (or less). Cards that I was once offered 40 or 50 bucks worth of cards that I turned down at the time dropped to 5 bucks.

After that they brought out too many sets and just flooded the market still. I stoped playing in town because there were so many kids (8, 9 and 10 year olds) that came in with nasty decks that didn't cost them much and even nastier attitudes, you know the attitudes of "I can do nothing wrong" and "its someone elses falt". They would get ticked when you beat them and would basically shove the fact that you lost to them in your face. I got sick of it.

Also the friends that I played with in there stopped playing because of the same thing. And since I live out in the middle of nowhere it was hard to find people to play.

I have thought of some cool things to do with Magic:TG (and other games if this became popular) but like all my ideas I just don't have the money to start it up and I'm sure I would get screwed out of my idea and money some how if I took the ideas to wizards of the coast.
Well the one thing I am noticing about Magic is that is does something to certain memory cells because no one can remember the exact age that they were when they started playing.:P
yeah i used to ply too,
i used to have the whole ice age set except 1 fricken card that i could not get which was uncommon. i got upto 6 icy manipulators which was pretty cool with my 4 royal assassins. i can`t really remember what it was but it was a goblin something, lol

i used to have the whole mirage set too. but then i got bored of the game and i made the dumbest mistake ever when i sold all of it for something stupid that i can`t remember.

but i got back into it about a year or so ago, but i still don`t play much.
but i still have my cool, undefeted "Rat Rage" deck. consisted of all rats and 4 coat of arms. i could basicly get anything out with 1 mana. and if you didn`t know what coat of arms is, it gives +1/+1 to all creatures of the same monster type for eash of the same monster type there are. so if i have 4 rats out each rat gets +3/+3 and if i had all 4 coat of arms out then bonus whould stack, which would make then 4 rats with +12/+12. hehehe no one wanted to play the deck. so it has been retired for a while, but it still exists.

the only trouble i have with playing magic is that there are not to many people that play it which makes it hard to play. well there is actually a bunch of people that play it but they are retarded cause they take the game so seriously. but i don`t think i`m going to get rid of them again just incase.
I use to play Magic the Gathering. I stunk at it though. I had a ton of goblins and stuff, but they didn't do too hot. Anyhow, people were playing it so much at my highschool and stuff that they banned having the cards there.
I wasn't that good at it either, but I enjoyed playing it. I couldn't make a deck for the life of me. I used to play it in Study Hall and no one cared.
A guy in where I used to play had a deck called the wonder weeny. It was made up of just 1 casting cost cards.

They were a bunch of little weenies, but when it worked it was wonderous and it worked most of the time. It shut my deck down a few times hehe.
Anyone reading this who does not know much about magic may wonder what it is.

Magic: the Gathering is a card game that is played either 1 on 1 or in groups of any larger number.

The game was set up originally to help kids learn algebra. It's beta run was released nationally in 1993 making this it's 10 year anniversery. It is now played in 30 countries, printed in 10 languages.

Each player brings his/her own deck made up of at least 60 cards from the available 7000 different that have been printed. New sets with new cards and game mechanics come out every 3 months.

Play varies greatly. While most players here describe casual games with groups of friends, there is also a large sanctioned tournament field. There is a professional tour, national and world championships.

In many cities magic has faded, but in others it thrives. Here in Vegas I could potentially hit a different tournament 6 of 7 days a week. On Saturdays and Sundays there are at least 3 running each day. They of course vary in their formats.

For people who enjoy the game but can't find players (or others who are curious for the first time), there is Magic: the Gathering Online. There is a free demo that you can find at www.magicthegathering.com
I was in a very long game of emperor. It had 10 people in it, 5 on each side. The game lasted nearly 8 hours. That was fun, ong but fun. hehe

2 headed giant was also fun. My friend and I won alot of games together. I had my american kill all deck and he had his black deck. The 2 decks were well matched against each other, I could hold off his attacks for hours and same with him.

I never played for anti. I never wanted to chance loosing any of my good cards because I didn't have the money to get them back, but we always played like it was for anti. cut the deck take off the top card and put it to the side. Sometimes we would check to see what it is, some times we wouldn't.

BTW I was one of those people that had the 20 sided dice. actually I have basically every sided dice created. 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20, 30 and 100. I have heard that there is a 1000 sided one but I haven't seen it yet.

I also have a bunch of glass counters too. :D
I had friends that had those glass counters too. They looked cool but I would just borrow some of theirs if I needed them. I never played for anti either for those same reasons.
hhmmm.......
i think i heard of the 1000 side die
but i was just thinking, whould it be sphere shaped?
like almost round?
wouldn`t it take forever for it to stop rolling?

i`d get annoyed by that
it would probably just roll off the table before it actually stopped:lol:
Have to be one big sucker to have ledgible numbers. Why not just roll one 10 sided die for each digit? Keeps your crown royal dice bag from tearing at the seams.
The 100 sided die takes forever to stop sometimes. It can actually be funny and sometimes its hard to tell what the number is because a few of them look almost the same (thanks to the design of it)

I have heard the 1000 sided die is something like 4 to 6 inches across. Its basically not usable for any games, I would just want it to complete my collection. heheh

I have over 100 to 200 of the special dice. I used to buy the packs of them. They were great and still are. I would take a few with me each time I played magic or when I would go and do RPGs and lend them out to friends who needed them.

The dice were great if you had cards that needed more then just a few counters.
So yeah, I am kind of' excited about this but none of my real life friends want to hear me toot my horn, so you all get to hear it.

My current current Vintage DCI rating jumped all the way up to 1892. That is reeeally high, and is mostly a result of me playing this new deck (Stacks). There are 7600 people ranked nationally on the Vintage scale and this puts me at #44!! I am quite glad that no one else around here has the cards to play this deck. I certainly would not want to play against it! (not that there aren't a sleu of other great decks to compete with)

Did anyone by chance check out the link I posted earlier to the MTGO website?

Beastie
I just looked at it. I haven't seen their website in about 2 years. Wow Eight Edition I have missed alot since I quit around Fifth Edition.

Quote:Eighth Edition contains at least one new card (meaning a card never before printed in a Core Set) from every Magic expansion ever produced by Wizards (with the sole exception of Unglued).

Interesting. I took a look at the set it was nice to see alot of those old favorites like Serra Angel and Nightmare in the new edition. The wording has changed a bit since I last saw these cards.
Yeah the 8th Edition release marks the 10th Anniversery. They changed up the whole look. New favorites are back in the base set including Shivan, Majamoti, Serra, and even my old hero the Royal Assasin.

The only downfall to 8th edition is the white border. Those of you who played for any legnth of time know that black border represents a little more prestige and nastolgia. White border is to magic what noob is to Half-Life.
The foils in the new set are in fact black bordered, but I think for the revamp they could have made the entire set black bordered.

Beastie
Thats very good standings there Beastie. :) I never really got seriously into the game, least not that serious.

If I had the money I would consider maybe getting back into the game, but again it would only be for fun.