Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sprays in games
ok grits requested to me to make a topic about sprays..what is your guys opinion about sprays in the game..should there be a limit..like is 3 to few or to many..just state your opinion..shes trying to get a concept on what she should do with them:D

my thoughts are that there shouldnt be a limit at all..if ppl "lag" from sprays they should turn them off..very simple and easy to do
I am not turning off my sprays....dont even start that one:P
By forcing a boolean choice on people, the exploitation of excessive spraying is still a problem. All sarcasm aside, if a limit were imposed serverside, then people could see sprays, and not end up suffering because of anothers malicious intent.
yes there are commands to limit the sprays themselves..but these commands wont work on ricochet..its all screwed up..but ppl tend to whine to much about them..after the simple fact that they can fix this by turning off sprays
Soul you are not being fair. It not that people don't like sprays altogether it's the amount. People only "whine" as you call it when there are 1000 of them covering the arena. 3 should be the limit. Why do you feel that you have to spray everywhere to begin with? It not only the lag for certain people. Think about some of the newer players who don't know where the arrows are cause there is a spray covering all of them. I'm not saying you do this since I have not seen your "work" at hand.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
i usualy dont spray over the arrows...and i like spraying my spray..its fun..i never get any complaints from anybody..not even from nnew players..its just a simple fact that g-boy and a few others dont like it because "its distracting" or it lags their pc........#1 it doesnt even distract me :> #2 im on 56k..if anyboyd should lag it should be me..if you lag thats your own fault..sprays have very little affect on clients..unless you have a p1 or a k6

all im saying its ppl sshouldnt complain about the sprays when they are at fault just as the sprayer..its 50\50
Some people I've talked to when I set up a server were really bothered by *you* specifically SS, perhaps you should calm down a bit on the sprays if everyone's pissed at you. I usually just put one in the middle of each pad to mark my territory.
one on each pad would make 8. I am going to set up a poll as soon as I get 5 realistic numbers of what people want. and middle seems to be the most 'fair' place to put them.
what if someone sprays over yours? do you then make it two on a pad so that you can spray over theirs? and I am talking total sprays...that includes rails.

I did try and set up a limit server side...it will do time between sprays but not number of sprays. I think SS is saying that it also resets the time as soon as you die (not sure) but that would make it not work well in Ricochet.
If someone knows the 'where' I can change the 'number' of sprays...let me know and I will limit it server side...or if someone wants to write code for it I will be forever grateful.
I would love to test the “sprays lag server/players” theory once and for all maybe we can get a full server and have a couple people spray every pad and see what happens…
Please don’t turn this into a flame SS. Since he is the most recent culprit I asked him to start this thread to get some feedback for me...we all know Yeti was worse. …SS is the one most hindered by the present limit rule…but he is not the only one to complain about it. Keep in mind you may have numerous players wanting to mark their territory or document their kills/wins when you think of a realistic number and it could get crazy.:wacko:
there are commands for making limits on sprays..but in ricochet everytime you get a kill\fall off you can spray your spray again..so those commands wont work....also the reason why i sprayed mine so much is because alot of times ppl spray over mine..so i have tos pray again so ppl can see what it is B)
can't keep saying "there are commands" tell me what they are or where to find them
wth i told you on msn grrrrrrrr

decalfrequency 30 higher the number less times they can spray..30 is the default
nope what you gave me was for time...you said you would look up the one to limit number of sprays....still waiting:P
forgive me for nitpicking, 3 seems to be a good number for spray limiting on arena, but their are other maps then arena, at least that i play, just something to think about (i would suggest 5 - 7 for dm1)
The strange thing is that I have never seen anybody spray on DM before only arena. I guess it just never became an issue on DM before.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
On occasion sprays will appear in dm. I think it really has to do with the players who frequent each type of game. Arena just happens to have the most players compelled to impulse 201.

I use mp_decals, which may or may not function serverside. It's default is 300 (blast marks and bullet holes are governed by this cvar as well), and at 30 it provides plenty of room for variation, with no real crowding problems.

For the lag experiment, I would recommend that use of net_graph by all involed parties be manditory, and that there be different experiments for standard and custom sprays.
Well, I have a p4, broadband, and I do lag up from sprays. But let me clarify. Lag is probably not the best term. When there are several sprays, especially in the middle, and especially the size that ss does, I start getting choppiness when I go near them. It's similar to when you walk through a dead body. My ping doesn't increase, and I don't get an overall lag, but I get choppy and such when I go near a batch of sprays. Now one on a pad won't lag me... not even two. I just find it annoying. But like 4 sprays on a pad will get me choppy and extremely distracted. The only reason I can think that it doesn't lag you is because you already have 56k and are accustomed to it not being as smooth as I am used to, and in fact probably it doesn't affect you... like if you are being stung by 10 bees, you won't notice the difference if there is an 11th.

Arguments that ss uses: one, that we can turn it off. Stop using that, because it is completely illogical. I have said, as has grits, that we like to look at sprays. I like them being there. I like spraying mine. But I don't like it when it gets excessive and gets on my nerves in terms of either the choppiness or seeing nothing but penguins and cats in my peripheral vision. That's a segway into your other argument... we don't have to look at them. Well, no kidding, in fact I DON'T look at them if I can help it. But you want me to turn off my peripheral vision? I can see things without looking at them, as can everyone. So I won't be disabling something just because one person is abusing it. It's like telling someone to mute an entire server because one person is annoying. Well, you either tell them to shut up or you mute them in specific. If I could turn of yours and ghengis sprays in specific, and no one elses, then I'd gladly oblige. But since I can't, I ask you to stop. And you don't until the admins intervene.
If you want to fix that choppiness problem for your client box, just change mp_decals to something low in your ricochet config.cfg. I had that same problem; when 300 semitransparent sprays are one on top of the other, they all show, and all have to be drawn for every frame, which drops the fps below acceptable limits. I think hl draws all of the sprays even if they aren't visible through eachother, since it refreshes everything from the max visible distance to the min (this is how wallhacks know what's on the other side of stuff).
SS you know how a lot of people feal about this subject so why bring it up again its been covered. 1 spray to "represent yourself" is enough. Several on every pad DOES cause lag or whatever you want to call it and other people shouldnt have to disable everything to suite your desires. Anyone who intentionally sprays an exuberant ammount is just an ###### and should be ***I'm Stupid for Swearing***ing kicked. End of story, please stop turning this into threads or conversation in game, this nor sprays are necessary.
There never to seem to be very many sprays when I'm playing, hmmmm, wonder how that happens.
I asked SS to start this thread so I can get a realistic view of how people feel about sprays in game. Let me repeat....Do not turn this into a flame SS thread...I really need the information we are compiling here.
If anyone has the information I need to limit the number of sprays per player please let me know what it is. Setting the 30 to 80 will make it where there is more time between sprays but it looks like it resets when the player dies...so that doesnt help in Ricochet.
I will do a search on the admin forums and see if anyone else has come up on this dilemma, but right now work is first priority for me...so it would be easier if someone actually knows where to find the setting either in the cfg or in the code.
Sprays are the electronic equivalent of urinating against a tree IMO....
one spray per match, not round, try to gear it to reset in Que
Sprays per match.... except rather than just one I would probably say 2 per match
I have NEVER had a problem with sprays and I think this is silly to be debating this. Leave the sprays alone.
How many people actually sit there and say "I can't play ricochet because of these damn sprays!" Next people
are going to gripe about the colors of the outfits the players wear are distracting. I think alot of you are getting bored
with ricochet and just want something new to talk about. Let's talk about something important like what default
model to start out with....WAIT...that's lame too. Just play the damn game. If you want griping and moaning...get married.
Sprays in excessive quantities can cause problems for anybody, which is why mp_decals exists. It's sort of like the swear filter. It would be okay if nobody used vulgarities excessively, but since that was a problem...

I would recommend people with problems lower their mp_decals cvar regardless of the serverside solution search. That way, you have protection on EVERY server. The current limit of 300 takes blast marks and bullet holes into account. At no point in any rico game will there be more than 32 different sprays.
I agree with PIX's point, the clothes are distracting, and sooo last year.
I've never really had a problem with any of these things everyone complains about...like the female models or sprays, etc. I just think it's kind of interesting upgrading the server and all.... It makes the game a little more like, well, a game rather than a "sidequest" if you will.
I just want to gripe and moan, that way i'm nice when I play. I used to kick my dog and beat my kids until I found the forums.:fart:
a quick search around the web reveals only that MP_DECALS will limit the number of sprays/decals, which by default is set at 2000, bit high for ricochet.
Is that 2000 sprays or some time limit?