Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important Steam Information
Alfred, of Valve Software, has sent out important news to alert everyone about Steam's official release:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timeline:
We will be releasing the dedicated server binaries later today. Tomorrow we will be releasing the client. In a couple of weeks we will make this update mandatory.

What is it:
This release is converting all users to Steam. When you install the client you will need to have a valid HL or CStrike CD-Key. Dedicated servers will need to create accounts but will NOT need to enter a cd-key. At no point will anyone have to enter credit card details. In the future there will be the option to purchase the "Platinum Pack" via Steam if you don't currently own a copy.

This release consists of:
Counter-Strike 1.6, Half-Life, TeamFortress Classic, DMC, Ricochet and Day-of-Defeat 1.0.

What changed:
Linux Dedicated Server
Dedicated Server
Team Fortress Classic
Counter-Strike

Steam Issues:
Q: Can I use Steam with a modem?
A: Yes, steam will work for modem users.

Q: Is WON going away?
A: Yes, once we have completed the rollover we will slowly remove parts of the WON system as they become obsolete.

Q: Has the net code been changed since the beta?
A: No, apart from small bug fixes.

Q: Will my existing 3rd party programs work (i.e Admin Mod, CDeath, ...).
A: In general yes, all existing 3rd party programs can still work under Steam. The individual authors of each program will need to inform their users of any install directory or configuration changes.

Q: Do I need to alter my firewall setup?
A: Steam requires some extra ports to be opened for outgoing access, read this page for details.

Q: What happens to my current banlist?
A: Everyone will be getting assigned a new Steam ID and it will not be possible to convert old banlists.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Which is pretty much what we knew anyway... The only thing he didn't answer was whether MODS themselves need a change to work... Ricochet wasn't even mentioned...............
And here is something else that I figured would happen...

I woke up this morning went to http://www.steampowered.com and its been loading the main page for the past 2 minutes and it says there are errors on the page. If their site is slow, I can just imagin what steam will be like, with 10 times the amount of people downloading it then are visiting the website.

If everything has to go through them, then I believe steam servers will crash just like it did the first time when beta servers were put up.

Hey beastie, is vagas taking any bets on when steam will crash? :D
It apears that http://www.steampowered.com is under a dos attack right now. LOL

Its gonna delay when steam can be released.
uh..right its not under dos attack...there is a shitload of ppl on the page plus..there is 372 ppl right now in #steam "irc"

EDIT: *ahem* 393 ppl now
I have just been talking to Gwar about this on MSN. It might have been a DOS earlier, but for now the site is ACTIVELY refusing connections. That means that the web service has been turned off or in someone blocked.

That is usually symbolic of a DOS because it reduces network traffic load instantly. However, it could also highlight that someone's been utterly stupid at their end and turned off something they shouldn't have done. Either way, it's all bad press for them and shows that they have some work to do to prove to the community that it should work properly.

(As I also pointed out, it can't be a DOS now, because the traffic right is acceptable between my machine and their server, another tool by which you can see if it's DOS... Ping is such a wonderful tool ;-) ).
soulsolution,Sep 10 2003, 04:57 PM Wrote:uh..right its not under dos attack...there is a shitload of ppl on the page plus..there is 372 ppl right now in #steam "irc"

EDIT: *ahem* 393 ppl now
#steam on IRC is not necessarily held on a Steam server... it can be, or it could be held on one of the many public IRC servers that are out there... I have a channel on irc... and it ain't held on my machine/server!
what server for IRC, i'll add my name to the list LOL

Either way. If its a DOS attack it shows that steam can be crippled, if its not a DOS attack it proves that they are idiots because they didn't think something like this would happen.
i was just saying..there are 397 ppl in #steam right now....which means about all of them are prob trying to get on the steam page all at once...i didnt say they were connected :>..anyways..they said the site is bogged down so :\

irc.gamesnet.net channel is #Steam
It does show some bad qualities unfortunately. As with any large project, if it brings about something that a few don't like, they'll invariably try to prevent it with methods like I suggested above.
bleh on the forums ppl are saying that the site is under dos attack which nobody konws if its true..nobody has confirmed it yet..so who knows..they need a better site anyways :\

also dont be suprised if a netsplit happens..that is gonna be sweet
If they own their own server with the channel, then a net split is inevitable... if they don't then it's not. There isn't currently a real DOS going on, because you can get an instant error from the website. If it was a real DOS, you'd end up with connections constantly trying but timing out... not instant disconnects.

I tried it via LINKS under unix and got told:

Quote:Connection Refused

That suggests THEY are blocking it, not a DOS.
they are on gamesnet..they can have a netsplit at any moment
I was just trying to point out that the probabilty of it being related is slimmer than your chance of getting me into bed... ;-)
hey is possible:P.....btw the release is delayed abit..it wont come out in 10 mins..but it will be out soon :>
people are asking all around... there are 724 on #steam and and 495 in #steam-hangout... lotsa screaming people v. confused about it... but I'm surprised... that's roughly 100 people who all figured out how to use IRC and have TONNES of questions, yet there are many more who don't know how to ....
Quote:If it was a real DOS, you'd end up with connections constantly trying but timing out... not instant disconnects.

Maybe they were under a DOS attack and just decided to shut it down to stop it. That is how most places deal with it.

Not the greatest thing to do, but we are talking about a company that is forcing everyone to use a new program to play an old game when the current system is working fine. They are also forcing people to connect to the net just to play their games even if its the single player game or on a lan.

Course I have heard that they are now considering not doing that last part. Maybe they are getting at least a little wiser.
yes you have to be connected to the internet in order to play single player now..its gonna be stupid...btw its delayed..some are syaing 1 hour..some are say mins :\
Gwar, That I agree with, and stated in my earlier post when this first became a hot thread ;-)
how retarded..everything is delayed till tommorow..stupid shit

http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?...217663-12843600
guys it will sound very sad but i dont think my comp will handle Steam.... they min request was 1 Ghz and 256 Ram...... well i got 500 Mhz and 120 Ram. and i dont have original cd key... if it won't work i will have to quit ricochet/cs/tfc (all half life mods)

help me:( i dont wanna quit....... what can i do?
There are people that have said that it will run on a system that low of a system.

You can seach for it in your Registry. I forget what the actual place for it is, but I will look for it.
Found 2 links that sort of work, they load very slowly.

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow

and

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php

The rest of the site seems to be a hit and miss kind of thing to get even the slightest thing to load. So far I am at about 99.9% misses hehe
well, sommat tells me they are gonna have to back peddal a bit... even if it's to simply provide reassurances to the rest of the community that will take their sprouted stuff at face value.
I asked a couple of questions and got answers for them. I just hope that they are correct answers.

Q
I have gone to a few servers in the past where it says my wonid is in use on that server. What can I do if in a few days I sign up for steam and it says my serial number has already been taken? Will it then cancle that serial number or basically just tell me to bug off?

A
you will just not be able to connect to the server they are in

Q
When I install steam, will I need to let it download all mods I play or will it just automatically update the mods I have installed?

A
you will have to download every mod you play, if you have some installed, it will be shorter because of download time with pre existant files

follow up question
So it won't matter where they are installed

follow up answer
nope
I have a log of stuff tonight and once I am ready to log off I will save the log and upload it here. Its gonna be pretty long read because I've had it open for hours, but if someone is interested it will be here for them to take.
the zip is 48k in size, but will expand to about 196k in size. There is alot of info in there, I have no idea how true any of it is, but its here if you want to read it.

And yes many questions are asked again and again. And NO I am not going to go through it to clean it up. :)
I was on there when you asked that question Gwar. Who were those guys anyway? Were they people who worked for Valve or just people in charge of their IRC channel?
[Image: b_560x95.png]
i just asked them will this be 56k user friendly..they said you can play steam with 56k..so we will see

also i asked can we use ase\gamespy to connect to servers..they said steam is required you cant use those progs *sighs* :angry:
Erm. Well that really sucks ass them, since the Valve method of finding a server is by far years behind ASE/Gamespy. In fact, out of the two, I'd prefer them to pick up on ASE's filtering style, but Gamespy's retry-till-slot-free features...