Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dm tips
I was playing dm1 with GRITS and acid last night, for a bit, and i realized that a lot of the arena players dont like dm ^_^ i think its due to the fact that they're used to playing on a one on one map and try concentrate on the whole map, and all the players on that map (being one in arena). I usually dont go about doing this, its just to much to worry about, when you only have to worry about your next kill. I usually try to focus on one or two pads, that i think would be the safest/easiest way to kill a person (while respecting dm eiquette). If i miss i would keep moveing untill my disc comes back, and i can do this process again (same thing if my disc hits). The worst thing u can do is sit their and wait for your disc to comeback, you might as well give them a point. When i was a young dm player, if my shot missed, i would follow that guy, untill my disc returns, to kill him, it was the dumb thing to do. That player can easily turn around and if your following him, you would be higher, and more valnurable = dead.

A players choice of style is very important, in my opinion the best style is just keeping mobile, if your constantly on the move, your a lot harder to hit and subsequently not giveing your oponnents an easy points. The best dm players use this style, Wha, rUsh, DragonLady, PIX, netniv, severed, just to name a few. A missconception is that spam is the way to go, it isnt, a skilled player, with room to move, can land after being hit with a push disc, not necessarily being pushed into a pad or jump, but landing on one of the lower pads or moveing on to a near by pad, think about it, all we do is fly in the air.

Unlike arena dm is much larger and therefore many more possible jumps and shots, it gives each player a chance to be creative and think up new shots, and maybe a new jump. DM is a great creative outlet and the more people we have working on it, the better it will be.

I mentioned severed early in the post, many arena regulars wont know him, hes a dm1 player only, and i dont think hes on the forums yet. He is very important to the dm1 world, his server (the place for fun), runs dm1 whenever its up, whih is quite often, and hes been training a new breed of dm1 players. Go their, its a great place to learn, with talanted players and nice people.

awhile ago, before a lot of you knew me, i only played dm1, which was fine at the time for me, but as i got better, i got bored with the competition and was seeking a challange, and most of the arena players are quite good. So i went their in seek of a challange and got owned, but eventually i got better, and this helped me in dm1, and i am now a more complete player thanks to playing both maps. I recomend the oppisite map for those people who rarely play both maps. Just remember to be patient you wont be the best over night.
I'm sure there's as much strategy involved in DM maps as there is on one on one maps, I just very much prefer arena, only other map I liked was arenabroke:P

We need some more good 1v1 maps:(
Not to mention less lag@!
*-=][_=-*
I have been playing more DM but I still enjoy arena more. The simple fact is that I'm terrible at straight DM games in general. Now if we had Team DM I would like it better. Another reason I don't play DM too much in Rico is cause that's where more new people are. I tend to piss them off cause they think I'm cheating. My favorite Rico DM map was rc_tower (not rc_towers the bad arena map) it had the big pillar in the center and had great sneak attacks from above.

I've been having more fun playing the Invasion mode on UT2K3 lately anyway. I've been getting a bit tired of shooting disks in Rico and needed some heavier firepower.:D
[Image: b_560x95.png]
good post anon.
Severed is signed up to the forums, just look for him in "Members" up there in the top right.
If your worried about pissing nubs off, then go to severds server, there is usally a regualar dmer their, for a challenge. Its still fun and you dont have to like it more then arena, i still like dm1 better then arena, but i still play and enjoy arena. BTW nothing is stopping you from haveing a one on one in dm1, they're lots of fun.
I would like to play there, but I can no longer do that since I'm fully switched over to Steam. I know about Severed's I played there a bunch before I switched.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I have often said to people, even on here before, that if you start getting bored with Arena break into DM. Yesterday, I kept being moaned at because imDEAF just couldn't hit me. That was whilst I was being a 'player' ... so I wasn't constantly bouncing around spinning left/right, etc... I was more or less standing in the middle of a pad, and then dodging...

Dodging is what helped me live through Arena when I wasn't so good, because it made the games last longer with all but the most exceptional of players... DM needs that skill as much as the Arena ones because you have to be far more aware of people being around you, and sometimes a quick side-step or fake movement is all that stops you from being hit at close range.

As for Team DM... nice in principle, but with current code, never possible... with STEAM highly unlikely...
i've played dm for the longest time, since pix's servers always cycled arena then dm1 then dm2. I had no choice whenever i played on them. (since i had admin, i'd always change away from dm2 though). Recently since i got steam, i've had to play dm2 now more and more. Mostly cause there is really only one server that ever has ppl in it, so you can't be choosy with maps. So i'm getting kind of good at dm2 now. i used to hate dm2, now i only mildly dislike it, since i've realised that there is alot of potential to make some really cool jumps (of course it is only really fun if there are alot of ppl playing the map). Unfortuantly i seem to be the only skilled person who will join hte server if the map name says rc_deathmatch2.....
I'd have to agree with that:)
I personally just prefer arena... I'm pretty good at DM1 if that's all there is though. Just like arena, don't be repetitive in jumps, be unpredictable. Easier said than done, as what may seem random and unpredictable in your eyes, someone else may catch a pattern and you get burned. Just constantly adapt. Unless there are only a few people (or one other person for that matter), don't get into battles. The map has too many variations and is too large to fool a skilled jumper into getting hit, unless of course you get up close. Just try to find people that you don't think are aware of your presence, get a shot off, and move on. Pursuit will get you killed by someone else who is out of your vision. Also, if you get a chance, fire a disc or two at the barriers and let them bounce around, you may get a lucky hit. There are some who do the spamming thing on these barriers... they get killed a lot, and they rarely kill good players unless they just spawned. Don't be fooled by their large scores, that just comes from hitting newbs and afk's.

I think one thing that players don't do enough of is turning on the sound and listening. It does have it's uses... you can hear where people are, particularly by their bounces. And the biggest thing for me, as some players may have discovered, is that I listen to the type of disc. If it is a push disc, I take the hit and either push forward hard enough that I don't fly off the pad, or if I'm already in midair or near an arrow, I take the hit and push forward or backward and maneuver so that I land on a pad. This is important on all maps. If it's a decap, then you dodge.
i can tell decap vs. push, they look sligtly diffrent, decap looks a little sharper, and metallic. It will take some time to get used to dm, its a very diffrent style of gameplay, great for action. And for sound, you can just turn around a lot, helps you become aware of your surrondings, in much more detail then sound ever would.

Just thought of this one, mental state is important, and im not talking about drunk/sober. Try to think of falling/dieing as just time out of the game, rather then loseing. A death just gives the other guy a point, and if that person is below you, then it doesnt really matter in the standings (unless your first and the killer was in second).
I rely on sound for that... which is why when I lose my sound, people notice that I tend to move 10x more and just dodge every shot I can....
sound doesnt affect my playing at all, it might be a slight advantage, but it cant be all that important. I minimize all the time to check my msn, and stuff, and i always listen to music while i play. In fact i think the music helps me, just for the relaxation of signing along and killing, best therapy out there.
yeah, i don't need sound either. I like listening to music too. Apperently it works too, cause i usually only die when i bump into ppl (which is aproblem when the server starts filling up)

Heres a tip that i use alot:

If you find yourself low in points, always remember that there are newbs playing with you along with skilled players (but there is a good chance that they are mostly newbs), kill some newbs to catch up with that one skilled player you are going head to head with. Otherwise you won't get many points, since all you are doing is focusing on one person
Sound is important to my game, if you ever noticed why I decapped you when I didn't even turn to stare and see where you were coming from, I can hear you too:P
And people wonder why I don't like to lose sound... there's a slight edge you can lose with it... as for people playing music, it's no wonder your laggy and I can't hit you :-D
i play music on my stereo, there is no lag for me since the stereo and the computer aren't hooked up. and as for the sound thing, i mostly kill ppl as they jump at me, its alot easier
I came up with this a couple years back, when I was playing dm2 on !k2, based on my observations.

If your head meets feet, it's your treat.
If your feet meet head, you're dead.

Seems to be universal, so long as the discs arent late.
i remeber that wha. If you hava system like mine you can afford to run winamp and hl with a lot of ease, i get 95 fps easy with winamp playing, i only cap it at 95 cuz i dont get 100 solid with winamp running. I guess there would be an advantage in arena of haveing sound in arena, but with dm there is too much ambient sound, that doesnt apply to your specific target (if your trying out my advice).

In any map its not a good idea to have your back to your target, even with sound, you wont be able to dodge a disc if you cant see it.
i also like to shoot ove rhte barrier on teh bottom level, across the middle and at the far pad, i can get 2 or 3 kills doing that too, if i time it right
If you don't like the wait for players (after you scared off the last batch), try cakewalking. It's both easy and fun. Once you have that, try to learn a specialty move, like a backwards wha, seeing how much spread you can get with triple+fast decaps, or a useful move, like stalling on a really powerful jump, controlling the spread on fast decaps, or an anti-happy shot.

If you get proficient at the individual moves, try a combo, like a wha->skip->spawn return->cakewalk->cakewalk. Makes a great trick at parties.
is it just me or does anyone else not know what you jumps you mean with those names...?
Well, as I understand it, the 'cakewalk' involved walking along one of the incredibly narrow yellow bars and not falling off. I haven't seen it, nor done it. But I would think you would have to fall off eventually, as there is no where to go.

The 'Wha' is the move which allows you to get to the top level without using the square wall bouncers. I have acheived this move only 3 times, as it is fecking hard. It involves pixel precision jumping from one of the spawn pads.

Unless the Wha is something else, because I can't imagine what the hell a backward Wha is :)
Yeah you should try hanging out with the [CAKE] crowd on the DM maps..they are amazing, like the Flying Walenza's of Ricochet I think the map should be renamed.

And I think WM is right on both calls, the cake walk and the wha? move
and first time you see either is a total shock and I am sure the jump leads to accusations of cheating, it feels good if you accomplish it, just like any new jump...I have done it once. I still can't land on a rail tho but have seen anon do it a couple times.
Ah, so that's what you call that jump... "wha"... I dunno, to me it is like the S-jump in arena... "amazing jump!" "damn that's hard!" I didn't find either very difficult, I got the S jump on my first try and the wha jump in dm on my first or second try. I love using it, saves a lot of time and confuses some of the newer players. It doesn't actually take much precision, it's just a matter of turning as soon as you're in air, and try to follow the edge of the top pad, sometimes you can hit the pad, slide along it, and hit the arrow. I used it many times in my match with anon... I still have the demo of it.
B) widow, u can actually hit the middle pad off the cakewalk, so u dont fall into the abyss, sometimes you will hit the rail again and fall, and other times not, kinda weird like that.

EDIT: ya i still have the demo of that match to, it was fun.
There are two jumps you can hit off a cakewalk and one can be used to chain cakewalks. The foremost thing to watch out for is one rail has a problem with it: the trigger_push goes the wrong way. That is, it pushes you towards the outside map, as opposed to the centre. It sits by a blue pad, and by simply spraying one of the two (first level) blue pads and testing that rail by falling on it from the pad directly above.

As to what a backwards wha is, it's besically a semi-successful project of mine. It paid off too. Some small time clan who had a public listen server asked me if I could do it backwards... I would quote them if the forum wasn't filtered. If you want to try, start by doing a wha, but with your back facing the jump. Then if you got the timing right, you soar over the people cursing under their breath, and feel pretty damn good.

This demo should contain a wha->skip->cakewalk. Partway through filming somebody showed up, and I don't know why I didn't password it if it was my game, or if was even my game.

::PostScript::
I didn't name these, they are recommendations by other people, ex. rUsh suggested the wha be named after me since I was the first to discover it, or at least perfect it.

Attached Files
.dem   ultracombo_try001E.dem (Size: 247.18 KB / Downloads: 2)
I will take a look at that tomorrow... I don't do anywhere near as fancy jumps... but I can beat Anon for now, that's enough... JUST DON'T TRAIN HIM ANYMORE!