Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont be mean to newbies
This is pretty much a retarded post thats probably been said but I rarely read forums so whatever. Anywho I notice A LOT of newbie harass, im not gonna flame anyone here. But don;t think cus your a "regular" or some shit like that that (double word error ><) that you can treat em like shit. Some people, like Frito, have the ricochet commands binded to keys so they can quickly tell them how to play. Other people harass people into leaving. DONT DO THIS. This game has been dying slowly for a long time, and it needs new players constantly circulated into it. Be as nice as you can, and try to explain the game as well as you can. Thank you.
what bothers me is the cs is better, like comparing oranges and ice cream.
that has always been the way I have looked at it, if you run off the noobs then there is no one to replace one of us if we leave, and it makes the game more fun, some one taught me when I first started. The game interested me, but not enough to read the directions so I came in to see what it was like and some one helped me, so I pay that back by teaching others. it isnt tough to tell them what to do and they might enjoy it like i did and stick around.

play nice ....

frito
I made it thru 1000's of harrassments until I met frito's and beastie to help.
yeah, being a newbie is tough...:(

on the other hand, i would of left the game earlier if it wasn't for nice people like grits, acid and frito. i was really impressed w/ the kindness (or at least the lack of hostility) shown to me from the ricochet community as a whole...especially at vads. losing virtually every game is not that fun...but the pple mad it easier for me...:)
anyone serious about playing the game and is a NEWB knows to expect this kinda harrasement...
but it can be in good fun and we try to encourage the new ones even putting up with the "hey everybody I beat ............" we have all heard it. Me I think its funny since we all own each other. Only when they get out of hand do I apply the stupid break.
I never really had this experience..I was picked up by Bass..doubt yall remember him..he was leader of I would say the 2nd clan ever (the name has gone blank to me right now):(..besides KIA..Bass tought me everything fast..and plus I found Hylander which with the other KIA I would say pioneered the krazy jumps..so I picked up quickly..and I was co leader of the clan with bass..I knew a lot of people and recruited..thats how I met frito..and man those were the very very good days ^_^
But these dayz kick ass also..look what vad has done for this community..if one name is remember I would have to say its goin to be Grits/Vad :wub:

And on the newbs lol..I don't be up on them..I just own them and be done with it..and then the usually YOU are soo good..omg I just got owned..:)That boosts me even though their newbs since I'm always rusty when I play..
Plus... you have people FAKING to be newbies, who THINK you don't know them from jack, and then after a torrent of abuse claim to be testing you ... but wait let me put it all into context for you all:

User 631888 - El Kaboom (UT Clan)
Attempted Harrassment

Quote:A guy I played against yesterday on a server called me a cheater, fa g, etc the second I logged in.  When he got to 'ga y' I thought 'I need some fun so here goes' and started off with the 'you must be to have come out like that'.

Well, then it all started...

He said he wasn't trying when I said he hadn't managed to hit me yet, and that's why I was winning.  Asked also if I wanted to join uT as he'd just created it... at which point I said I was already in RiP so why would I wanna be in uT... he didn't believe I was in RiP... so I decided to point out that he wasn't cloudfuel either who'd created uT years ago (who is apparently also ######, etc)...

then he claimed to be testing my uT clan to see how we did... so I had to remind him again... and then I told him that it wasn't a test, since he was in no authority... :)  So he said that he'd got my Unique ID and so I said you mean xxxxxx, which is v. similar to 631888 that's yours.... then came comments about me making the effort to look it up, etc... and I said how was typing in a 6 letter word an effort?

As soon as I was within 5 points of his 107, he said he'd be back later to test me again under a different name... and signed off before I could reply... fair do's I thought... and then ....

.... he signs straight back in as -netniV- making his name (1)-netniV- <----- not an obvious sign now, is it?  If not for the imitation alone, but for the fact that I played him as that yesterday with the same id !  So I said "Hello El Kaboom" (as he was that before), and so he signed straight out ....

... only to sign straight back in again as -netniV~ .... then claimed to be a friend of El Kaboom's who was in the shower, and asked him to do this... and when I said 'sure, right ok' he wondered why I was being so rude, so I told him that I was offering the same level of curtoesy that his friend had earlier... and if he was confused by it, to ask him to clarify the whole style of it... then came the 'who do I mute' and 'how do I fire' and other newbie pretence questions...

... after a short while he said he'd found the mute command, then proceeded to say that he hopes I'd go soon as I was very rude.  So I just said that I'd have to write up a report that would probably get him banned from at least three servers, but as he has me muted, he won't know it's gonna happen.... shortly afterward he signs out....

... only to sign back in as Wicked sommat... and doesn't say a word for ages... then KEKE and Pumpkin -BOH- signed in, who have been on before, and I said 'KEKE, remember that guy yesterday who got really annoyed at me for owning him, so he imitated my name' and he was like 'no' and I was like 'well he's here in disguise but as he has me muted, I didn't tell ya, shhhh.' ...

... and finally as I'm holding normal conversations with Pumpkin and KEKE he decides to join in with that like nothing ever happened...

....THE END....

Now, I'm sorry, but that was fun :)
i never had any help when i first started playing, i never asked anyone for help and i never wanted it, I like to figure games out on my own and for a game that takes all of 5 minutes to figure out, we get the dumbest people ever, yet they can figure out how to play cs (i wonder how long that took....). how can it be so hard to figure out that maybe the reason your head is falling off is cause of an alternate mode of fire or maybe that the point of EVERY halflife mod EVER is to kill the other side. I'm sorry, but if i say sarcastic and cynical comments to people who come in and say "How do you play this crap?" or "What is this?" you'll just have to ignore it cause i'm going to
I remember after many months of playing coming across some servers with this annoying woman called GRITS on them... she was as good as me, and that ment long finger aching battles..... things haven't changed much... she's just less annoying and more charming now ;-)
I confess i've teased newbies (I hav help binds to them too) sometimes not that much but still... It makes me laugh so much coz usually I get the answer "I would own you in CS" I'm not sure why it's so funny but it is :lol:
Well when I used to be coming on all time, I was mean to them..I would say you try to catch the disk flying towards them and to jump you just run off anyside of the platform. But now a dayz I don't have time to alwayz be playing so when I come in I'm quiet. Lately I haven't even been able to play any game on the computer for the past two weeks. School and Soccer and Ranch. And repeat....;)
I confess as well..

At first I didn't, but the constant, "WTF, you hack you ***I'm Stupid for Swearing***." "Why must you cheat?" "CS is better." "Get a life, you play this game to much." "I could own you at CS"

kinda gets to you after a while... but i'll stop and restrain myself.
I think there is a difference between teasing and being mean.....I love the "try and catch the disk" answer when newbs ask how to play...but that is an obvious tease...well at least after the first decap:D

I think Tripp is rightfully pointing out that no one should be 'running' players off. There will always be some that we need to cut short because they are just killing time until there is room on their favorite CS server and they have bad attitudes to begin with......but with the change over there are going to definitely be some perspective Gemmak and Knightmares that we don't want to lose to harassment.
Some of the noobs even like the attention that comes with the harassment/teasing...Use your best judgment, none of the regulars that I play with are out and out mean. Like asm said we are not the same type of people as the other on-line games. For those of you that don't know my CS experience and the reason why I never play and actually rent 3 Ricochet servers....
The one and only time I actually tried to play CS I spawned with the bomb...I said "I don't want this" and they said ‘drop it’ and I said "how?"....instead of explaining how my own teammates killed me....I laugh now but then I thought what a bunch of ######s. I came to Ricochet and Anti-X, Rebaudo, Fritoman, and Quickening were all really nice and volunteered to help me learn..of course I wanted to learn and never said this game sucks.....there were others too but that gives you an idea of the kind of people who hang out on Ricochet...I say harassing or teasing to an extent is all part of the game....but keep in mind if you are ‘mean’ you might be picking on the next person who wants to start a dedicated server or two.
;)

I must have been typing while Knightmare was posting....you are admin....warn them, then kick them...it is one of the perks of having admin....you don't have to put up with harrassment by newbs ever, that is not mean that is control:thumb:
I dont need a new dedicated server host... your enough ^_^
I don't know if harass is the right word, but I'll be an ###### to about 98% of newbs, because about 98% of them are idiots. I'd be perfectly willing to help them, but they never allow for it. First, there are those who ask how to play... they may get teased, but people DO tell them how to play, and then for some reason, I'll never know why, NONE of them EVER read what we tell them to do. They ask "how do I play?" and someone does their bind thingy... then they say "how do I play?" It is an endless cycle. The second they start losing, they say we have no lives, we cheat, or whatever comes to their retarded minds. And then they ask us to take it easy on them... they'll never learn that way. I don't know how to explain it, there is just never a decent newb. They just talk to much, say dumb things, won't cooperate when someone tries to help them, won't change their names from Player, etc etc. There have been very few newbs that were tolerable, and I think a lot of those 2% are still around, like asm.
well whenever i tried out a new game, i'll make sure they know im a nub, so they dont get upset, and i'll try to learn what i can on my own, and if they're doing stuff that i cant figure out how to do i will ask. Im hopeing most nubs are like this.
The first thing I do is RTFM. Though, most people don't have that kind of patience.
g-boy,Sep 26 2003, 01:19 PM Wrote:There have been very few newbs that were tolerable, and I think a lot of those 2% are still around, like asm.
how many people frequent this forum everyday?? I think that is the total of the 2% of the newbs who where tolerable
i actually found this game on the retail version of cs that wha, bought, and showed me rico, and we just lanned it for fun, so we were both more or less nubs, and we figured it out, and i'd say we did an ok job of it to.
I think it is ok to be tolerant to an extent. If someone comes in asking how they fire or drop a bomb (sorry GRITS) then I have to ask myself why they can't at least look at the basic controls before playing. It takes like 2 seconds to learn, especially in ricochet's case. I mean I suppose it isn't a big deal to just tell them, but at the same time it shouldn't be a big deal for them to learn themselves in the first place.

Honestly I don't see how you can say we aren't the same "type" of people from the one and only time you tried CS. The people I play with are really friendly and the admins won't tolerate crap where people don't at least learn the basic controls on their own. You're also going to see some racism, bigotry, and cheat accusations but they are just as quick to warn/kick/ban their asses. Sorry if I sound harsh or misunderstood you, just there is sometimes this high and mighty attitude around here.
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
i thinks its just as easy as typing in, select the bomb and hit g, (i think its g) ;)
I might have generalized a little too much sockhole because not all of the CSers I have met or watched play have been jerks but the majority that I have seen are. While I may not play, I have family members that I watch play quite often and if they aren't picking on newbs then one of the other players is. And they play on a few different servers so there are numerous different players. Bullies are bullies, CS just seems to have more than its share...mind you percentage wise they are probably at the same level as Ricochet just because of the volume of players. Two of my favorite Ricochet players are CS players so I know not all of them can be such jerks. I have a CS server and have promised admin to a couple of Rico crossovers...when the time comes....If just one (I believe there were 4) of my teammates had of said....there are instructions you can read at www.whatever it would not have left such a bad taste in my mouth...even if they had of said "didnt you look at the controls?" I could have let them know I was new to ALL online gaming and my HLDM game came with a brochure with very little instructions and I was just checking out this game and the controls are not the same.
No one took the time to do either. No patience for newbs...all you did is reaffirm it in your post. That is why I supported Tripp in this post to be a little more tolerant of newbs. Not everyone is coming in with the same experience...neither with computers nor with gaming...I just happen to still remember how noob I was so I tend to be more tolerant than most. And besides...its just a game...I can always find time to help out even if it means I die trying.;)

High and mighty?? naw...that is a judgement call I can't accept.... it might have something to do with the pace of the game...but I believe we are more social than players in other games. If I am harsh to CS players it is because of my experiences with them. I would love to set up a game on my CS server with all the Ricochet players that play CS, where I would be allowed to enjoy the game.
PuNkGirL,Sep 27 2003, 08:11 AM Wrote:
g-boy,Sep 26 2003, 01:19 PM Wrote:There have been very few newbs that were tolerable, and I think a lot of those 2% are still around, like asm.
how many people frequent this forum everyday?? I think that is the total of the 2% of the newbs who where tolerable
Well obviously we were all newbs at some point, that's not what I meant. I meant of all the newbs that I have personally encountered, and the vast majority of you I did not know when you were new, or at least if I did, I was also new at the time.
There are noobs... and then there are the super freaking annoying noobs.

I don't mind the people that ask how to play once and then when its explained they say thanks.

but I do hate the ones that ask 3 or 4 times even when people keep explaining how to play.
I view "helping people understand the game" a chance to get to know them a bit and BS with them just to see if I can get them to come back and play another day, yes I have givin up on trying to help people after the 4th or 5th time I unleash my binds on them, and I also do not "protect them from harrassment" because I gave them a chance to read my binds and they were to stupid to read them, but for the most part they read it and understand it and then they play it, because nothing pisses me off more then waiting in the Q and then going up against someone that runs off the pad 3 times. I know I know that sounds really close to my style but atleat I try and hit 2 bumpers before I fall.

frito
fritoman,Sep 27 2003, 12:59 PM Wrote:I view "helping people understand the game" a chance to get to know them a bit and BS with them just to see if I can get them to come back and play another day, yes I have givin up on trying to help people after the 4th or 5th time I unleash my binds on them, and I also do not "protect them from harrassment" because I gave them a chance to read my binds and they were to stupid to read them, but for the most part they read it and understand it and then they play it, because nothing pisses me off more then waiting in the Q and then going up against someone that runs off the pad 3 times. I know I know that sounds really close to my style but atleat I try and hit 2 bumpers before I fall.

frito
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
G-boys right though it can get annoying when people tell them over and over again how to play but they keep asking. What really has been steaming me lately is people in disguised names. They say Hi to ya, but won't tell ya who they are. Seams kinda unneccesarry (***I'm Stupid for Swearing*** i cant spell) Some people got a bad habit of doing this multiple times a week but whatever im not the owner of ricochet.
ThisIsTrippy,Sep 29 2003, 04:45 PM Wrote:G-boys right though it can get annoying when people tell them over and over again how to play but they keep asking. What really has been steaming me lately is people in disguised names. They say Hi to ya, but won't tell ya who they are. Seams kinda unneccesarry (***I'm Stupid for Swearing*** i cant spell) Some people got a bad habit of doing this multiple times a week but whatever im not the owner of ricochet.
I remember back in the dayz..EVERYONE did this..I was person that did it a ton ..but it was easy to pick me out cause my style and how I talk..and back then most my names centered around Linkin Park:D But I recall a ton of people that did this but no need for names..its just history