Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New players & "cheating"
When I first visited the Vadavaka servers way back earlier in the year, I very quickly noticed that a lot of the people there could play very well indeed.

Now, I don't remember ever accusing any one of cheating ( as far as I remember ) but I kept coming back, because I wanted to learn how to play like they did. ( And I still don't know ! )

Now the question is, why do some people start mouthing off when they see some of the so called cheating moves ? You do get the occasional 'Can you tell me how you did that move' question but most of the time they just accuse you of using an aimbot or someother non existant cheat !

You just can't educate some people I guess...

:-(
I believe it mainly comes from players with a CS and even HLDM background. There is so much widespread cheating in CS that when someone comes into a Ricochet server and sees someone who has learned the hard jumps/moves, they think it is due to scripts and not ability.
well WM, me as someone that was called atleast 5 times at day for cheating know it very good..... just dont notice them, put them on ignore....... end of story
shalk you h4xx0R!
heh punk:) u are too beautiful then i can't say something against u ^_^ so i will just say u right :P
I think its because I got a bit annoyed the other day. I got kicked from three servers in a row. Two of them said nothing and just kicked me, the last one said I was a cheater.

It really annoys me
:angry:
I always get kicked from the 2-4 people servers that newbies set up, same problem, I don't care though, not a big deal, I mean... it's understandable why they think you're hacking. I never once called someone a hacker though, just like WM I always wanted to be better.
I just try to take a positvie spin on being called a hacker, you get it so often, that you really have to start taking it as compliment. Recently i started playing cs, out of bordem, and to be honest, i dont think ive seen someone hack. Yet, i've seen many accousations of it. If they arent accusing someone of hacking, when they do, they say, something like "omg i lagged", the worst line i've heard was "omg i clicked the wrong mouse button." Odds are these are the same bright (implying the most sarcasim) people who call you hackers and then go on to make assumptions about your oritentation, based on your skill. Flawed logic perhaps? Remember hacker = compliment.
I take it as a compliment...They yell hacker, I just say thx for the compliment and continue owning:DAnd lol and they still say it and yall know that I'm completly rusting since I haven't playin in only..hmm half a year or so..
There's an aimbot and wallhack out for 1.6 going around now, hopefully they fix it soon.
Yeah it mostly comes from people who are newbies to ricochet but have been playing cs for a while. Man oh man are there some bad hacks on cs. But the simple fact is : Ricochet would be absolutely rediculously (cant spell ><) to make a hack for. I try to explain that to some people but they dont get it. Lets see, it takes a disk a certain ammount of time to travel, while the other person is moving, can ricochet or teleport, and again the fact that there is a time variable involved (unlike cs where bullets are instant) would make an aimbot hack probably impossible to create. If anyone did program one, they obviously got way too much time on their hands.
_Acid_Head_,Sep 29 2003, 04:31 PM Wrote:There's an aimbot and wallhack out for 1.6 going around now, hopefully they fix it soon.
Yeh supposively like everyone already has it..and its infecting the dod world now.. :angry:
It is an interesting phenominon. I wonder what generation of online gamers started the accusations, and if it dates back as far as doom. It seems that it rubbed off on the impressionable new players, who lacked the experience to discern reality from imagination. That coupled with the basic urge to displace blame...

A friend of mine once tried OGC in a bunch of games on a laptop his dad was going to format. RC was one of them, and all it did is shoot directly at other players, even if you aren't facing them. May even shoot on the Z axis (vertical axis in HL), but I don't recall.
I thought 1.6 was only in a test phase, or has it been released to general public? I dont play much half life no more =/. BTW dod aimbots are annoying as hell because its a one-shot-kinda-kill game.
Well, I have a nice collection of screenshots of people calling me a hacker... many of you have seen it. I find it very fun.
I personally ignore people who call me a hacker. What i do absolutely adore is some newbie whos just like " No way OMFG!!!!111 how did you do that??" Some people can be very complimentary instead of insulting when it comes to skill:D.
Here's a nice one of a first timer who couldn't get the rules through his head. This was taken on "The Place for FUN<some weird stuff with @>", which is XvSeVeReDvX's server. When the guy didn't get the normal requests for an apology (really good at weeding out the beligerant ones) to the players they bashed, a couple admin_bury's and one public spraying later, they still wouldn't swollow their pride and play nice. Oh well. This one didn't even need to be kicked.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

OH MAN! I remember when I used to play back in the day and I'd call anyone who beated me a hacker, spam the chat and leave. I couldnt stand losing back then. Then I took a break, came back and for some reason things were really different.Heh...memories... you gotta love those fits!!!:thumb::smurf:
*-=][_=-*
ThisIsTrippy,Sep 29 2003, 04:55 PM Wrote:I thought 1.6 was only in a test phase, or has it been released to general public? I dont play much half life no more =/. BTW dod aimbots are annoying as hell because its a one-shot-kinda-kill game.
So what do you play?? :huh:
That's a wierd looking crosshair
That Llama in the SS is a follower of acidheadism.
ThisIsTrippy,Sep 29 2003, 06:49 PM Wrote:Yeah it mostly comes from people who are newbies to ricochet but have been playing cs for a while. Man oh man are there some bad hacks on cs. But the simple fact is : Ricochet would be absolutely rediculously (cant spell ><) to make a hack for. I try to explain that to some people but they dont get it. Lets see, it takes a disk a certain ammount of time to travel, while the other person is moving, can ricochet or teleport, and again the fact that there is a time variable involved (unlike cs where bullets are instant) would make an aimbot hack probably impossible to create. If anyone did program one, they obviously got way too much time on their hands.
actually it wouldn't be hard to make an aimbot for rc. All you'd have to do is reprogram the block of code that centers the crosshair onto the player's head and make it compensate for distance by moving the crosshair away from their head in the direction they are moving. It wouldn't be as failsafe as the original aimbot, but you'd get alot of kills.
The only way that would work, pg, is if you moved at a constant velocity, and could aim discs up or down. I'd venture to say you'd get less kills than without the aimbot, because it would over or under compensate every time somebody is jumping. You move faster when you jump. Some jumps make you move faster or at a different angle than others. The discs stay on the same plane, so you would have to learn how to jump to be on the same plane as someone, fire the disc and hope the person is moving at the same speed that you've calibrated the aimbot for. Sounds like more work than just shooting where you think they'll be, especially when people curve in midair or press back to stop. It's the same thing when you shoot a disc where you think someone is running to, and they just stop dead. There's another thing to consider... like I said, velocity, you have to take into account the direction they are moving. This aimbot program would have to know what angle somebody was moving at. That is, the thing could compensate for somebody moving exactly perpendicular to where you are looking at them, but what if they were moving away from you? Or towards you? Or at an angle? The only aimbot that would ever work would have little to do with aiming, it would be a homing thing, like having a constant freeze disc (just hoping it would track a little bit better).
They made a very good aimbot that predicted movements back in the days of Tribes, so I won't say it's impossible... but I doubt a skilled player will be beaten by such an aimbot, at least until it's perfected (considering this is a tiny community, it won't be).
I dont think itd be hard at all as when the first OGC came out i remember it had a distance counter on it so it could track moving. And i remember back in the day of pr0 i kept mocking out a JAPS cause he couldnm't hack this game and all he said was that it wouldn't be that hard...just add in some prediction. So if YOU made it and had the time to perfect it, an aimbot wouldn't be that hard at all.
A little digging in an AlGeo textbook would provide the full equations for a parabola and a line in 3 axes. Just isolate a var and put the two equations together. All the aimbot does is sub in values, yeilding the exact place to shoot, well before they got there (the calc should only take a couple milliseconds). It would work wonders agaisnt linear jumpers. To test it, generating a small polygon as a lead indicator would be effective.

Some further thought would even allow you to move and shoot with the same results, jump and shoot, or even go so far as to see how close the target is to a trigger_jump, and where that jump will send them (just read the target and height parms), allowing what I call "security shots" (basically shooting somebody before it's clear they'll be there to die, that way, they are less likely to go there, and I'm safe to do whatever).

The only viable option is making a linear jumper vs. linear jumper aimhack.
Ok since everyone is saying its soo easy then I say we make one a become invincible......... :D

Ok I ment to post this here..but for some reason I got confused and posted it else where..but here it is now
HEY! now your post makes sense Quick...I was wondering what you meant..
no one get too excited about being called a cheat...even I have been called a hacker...needless to say not near as many times as acid_head and g-boy but...how bad does a noob have to be to think GRITS is cheating
of course that was Ricochet...I still socialize too much in HLDM and only comment I ever got there that surprised me was "you are good" never been good enough to be called a cheat there
I agree with GRITS... it's not so much a compliment as the retardism of the newb. I've always said, it's not my skill that gets me called a cheater, it's my style. Gwars and evil are more linear jumpers, and pg does it often too... they have good aim and awareness, but there's nothing complicated about it, so they are less likely to be called cheaters. Someone who jumps non-stop in nothing but non-linear jumps will be susceptible to accusations. Occasionally I play like that, but what gets me the comments is the stalling. Someone like me or shalk will get the comments possibly more than anyone, because a newb can't fathom the idea of hopping on one arrow, they think it's impossible without a cheat, not to mention the disc just barely going over the bar, it may look like we're shooting through it. And where I get called on it the most is when I fire a disc over the bar from all the way across where the newb is running, and they will run straight into it and say it's impossible. So it's mostly style, partially skill that gets the "hacker!" comments. But don't underestimate your skill grits... like evil, you don't do the fancy tricks and jumps, but you do have the aim and awareness, which CS newbs will perceive as some kind of aimbot or whatever. And I've seen you do the "trick" jumps, it's not like you can't do it, you just choose not to.