Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for DM
I've decided to share some tips for the rc_deathmatch map I've learned by myself or from watching other players. I by no means declare that I am a professional on the subject, but since I've played Ricochet for a while I believe I may have some pointers that others haven't realized. Everything I say is of course open to debate and please feel free to add to this discussion. My target audience is all of you arena players who always look at the rc_deathmatch with some wonder of adventure or fear of butt-kicking by us regular DM'ers.

1. Regular arena players know the benefit of never landing in the same spot when coming off a certain jump. Knowing how to utilize the strafe keys while in mid-air will avoid you being decapitated by regular DM'ers. I've seen it too many times how newcomers wonder in amazement how regulars keep on slicing them from across the map. If you always land in the same spot coming off a particular jump, the only thing other players have to worry about is the timing of their shots. When you come off a jump in differeing directions, regulars will have to worry about timing AND direciton.

2. Since I started out in DM, I will have to assume that the greatest challenge in transitioning from arena to deathmatch maps is the number of users. DM is usually "enjoyed" with 4-10 users playing at once. There are NO breaks in DM like there are in arena so you always have to be aware of your surroundings; where you're going, where you just came from, and what your next move should be. Since my recent visits to arena map servers, a few people have commented that I'm "relentless" or "insane... this is because I'm used to the much quicker pace of DM maps. Join a large DM server when there's lots of players on ( >6 ) and you'll learn very quickly to aim at multiple targets. Practice makes friggin' perfect!

3. Listening for the sound of jumps, decapitation shots, feet landing on a pad are the things that will keep you on top. This is kind of obvious, but when you're chasing one target in the air and you all of sudden hear someone hitting a jump behind you, your first move should be fire one off at them. If the person you're chasing is smart, they'll make themselves a an easy target so that as you're lining up your shot, your head will be sliced clean off by your pursuer.

4. Intimidation! You arena regulars are probably the best jumpers in the game because to stay on the "ground" in such a small map will surely result in a hit from your opponent. Whenever I play against great DM'ers (any of the [CAKE]'s for instance) I NEVER waste time with some shots I save for newcomers. I KNOW they will avoid it because I can tell they're experienced from the way they jump. As soon as you join a DM server, do fancy-arse wicked jumps to declare to everyone, "Don't throw that noobie crapola at me junior!" B)

5. Angle your shots so that they come in from the target's side. Best place for this is when a player just lands on a second-level pad and makes the quick dash for the jump right in front of them. Most will have their beedy-little-eyes focused on the tempting power-ups in the center of the map so it's a good way to scare the living barf out of them! Not all of your shots will be like this, but these are definitely effective.

6. For crapola's sake, LOOK UP! There are two levels in DM1 and regulars like to pull DFA's (Death From Above) on newcomers. This births our next point...

7. Sneak up on people! Best place to do this is when they're about to jump form the 1st level to the 2nd. Come off the big jump on the 2nd level pads and steer your way right-friggin'-behind them so you take off almost instantly after they do. Fire off a quick decap and enjoy the endorphine rush of hearing someone's head being removed from their rico body. :D Don't do this against regulars 'cause they'll usually send you back-arse-wards into that purple and black abyss I've come to loathe.

8. The best way to learn timing is to watch the great DM'ers. All of my best moves comes from them and I learn new things everytime I go up against them.

That's all for now. I might add some more if in the future. I hope some regular DM'ers give us their input because I am by no means the best one out there. I am good though, however, only because I've had me Rico-butt whooped by so many great DM'er so many, many times. Enjoy and I look forward to seeing more of you on DM servers.
[Image: icon_mastercard.gif]

New computer: $1500
Optical mouse: $45
Leather chair: $250
Half-Life CD: $60

Hearing the sound of a some poor Ricochet s.o.b.'s head being decapitated: Priceless.
I forgot a couple key moves that will give you an advantage over new DM players. If these do not make any sense, just spend some time on regular DM servers (eg. THE place for FUN!!@!@!) and you'll see these moves done plenty o' times.

1. The 'Wha' Jump: Named after, you guessed it, [CAKE]Wha? who has taught many to realize that a 1st level threat can come at the 2nd level from more than one direction. WARNING: This jump does take some time to get down. It is ALL in the timing of your direction changes. It involves any corner 1st level pad and the jump that sends you to the 2nd level. The idea is to hit that jump, swing quickly to your left (you MUST not rub against the 2nd level pad or will NOT complete this jump), then swing again to your right to come head on with the 2nd level jump that sends you across to the opposite 2nd level pad (confused yet?). Make sure you're NOT holding down any directional keys the instant you hit that last jump or you'll fall into the abyss. With this jump, you can catch people waiting for you to come up the "traditional" way and fire off a decap at their feet to slice their shocked heads off (which defies all biological reasoning...but what the heck!).

2. The 'Sev' Shot: XvSeVeReDvX taught me this one; I don't know if he invented it, but I wouldn't be suprised. On any 1st level corner pad, you can use the jump that sends you to the 2nd level to jump straight up. This is useful because a target on the 2nd level CANNOT 'block' your shot; the only defence is to dodge it. As SOON as you hit that jump, jam your finder on the backwards key to counter the jumps directional throw of up and forward so, hopefully, you'll only go UP. Timing of your shot is EVERYTHING! Fire at the absolute peak of the jump (the point where you're no longer travelling up and about to start descending). The shot will BARELY skim the surface of the pad and take out your target.

3. The 'Beat Ya To It' Shot: I discovered this on my own, as did probably most regular DM'ers, so I am hesitant to name it after myself...I can do without the credit. ;) Using the same 1st level jump as described in the last two points, allow yourself to follow the "traditional" way up to the 2nd level but the idea is to fire off a shot that will come in at the same level as the "Sev Shot". It's hard to explain the right timing. The best I can describe it is: fire the shot BEFORE you hit the transitional jump (the big square one between the 1st and 2nd level pads) AND when you can make out the bottom of the 2nd level pad (that oh-so-familiar blue/red gear-looking thing-ama-thing). You can suprise most players with this who try to stay in one spot to nail you when you hit that transitional jump. This shot cannot be blocked either, but if the target is a good DM'er who knows whats coming, they'll probably know when to fire their shot to "meet" your head as you come off that transitional jump. You'll probably both be sliced, but you're victory will be bitter-sweet.

If I remember any more, I'll be sure to add them. And If you DM'ers are willing to share your secrets, by all means add them here for all to see. The only we get better is when we're challeneged. And we can't do that with players who do not know how to make us earn our kills. We've all heard the saying before, "I succeed because I have failed". Good luck all!

Hearing the sound of a some poor Ricochet s.o.b.'s head being decapitated: Priceless.
just like to point out this, click here for a very similar thread
B)

but nice work beebs
Oops! Guess I should have checked harder if there were similar topics already on the forum. Sorry to all for repeating something that was just explained! :wacko:

Thats cool we know how Ricochet DM players are:P
it was a nice piece Beebs and I tried to figure out a way to have a DM thread and an arena thread but I guess I will have to ask GB to do that

btw evil_admin is working on the addon you suggested I think it is added but not sure
we have Linux servers and sometimes they are fussy.
thanks for caring enough to send it, you can always send suggestions to me I have a staff of geeks who are dear to my heart that I disseminate the duties to.
B) *leans back, hands behind head*
*falls over backwards in chair* <_<

u had some good stuff in the thread beebs, but i belive wha was the inventer of that shot u saw from sev, i've seen him do it way before i met sev.
A thousand apologies!
no worries, we could always bring back my old thread:D
1. Fun with Directional - After jumping to the "Traditional Way" in DM1, JUST after you bounce off of the "mid level" bouncey thing, make sure you are facing the second level pad. Push your right strafe button and rotate your mouse right at a slow, constant speed. If done correctly, you'll land on the next pad on the 1st level. This is great for people who expect you to actually land on the upper pad. Another thing you can do is guide yourself left and move the mouse left (like the other way, but left!) and you'll end up on the pad you were just on. Great for people following you, you can fool them:)

2. How the heck!!! - Jump off of any arrow and as long as you are parallel with the yellow beams that your discs ricochet off of, you have a change of staying on one of them. You must keep moving, so you will only be on them for 2 or so seconds, but it's enough tiime to get that kill:)
Some common ones but some might not know (I hope they do)

1. Dropping in? - After jumping off of the second level, when you are right in the middle of the jump, hold "back." You'll fall on the middle pad on the first level. Surprises some people.

2. Long Jump - Same as above but direct your jump to the left or right instead of backwards. You should land on one of the four pads on the bottom (not the middle).

3. Wha?(augmented) jump - Same as the Wha? jump in the post above, but instead of bouncing off of the second level arrow, bounce off of the first level middle pad's arrow to a different pad.

4. CurveJump - On the top, curve your jump to one of the side pads. This one's easy.

5. SpinJump - On the top, curve your jump to one of the pads on the lower level to your right or left.
Thanks RushJet for your insight! Here's a few other morcel's of DM info I thought might be helpful:

The 'King of the Castle' Scenario:
This only really applies when there are only a few people playing on a DM1 server ( <3 ). A good player can dominate the 2nd level by cutting off any access to it by cutting up anyone who uses the "traditional way" to try and get up there. All it takes is a constant collection of the power-ups by the 'King of the Castle' and anyone trying to access the 2nd level will have one hell of a time doing it. My point is not simply to point this out since this is a very obvious strategy for any novice DM'er, but to help you 'de-throne' the King. :upto: It doesn't take a pro DM'er to collect the power-ups and pick off players trying to get to the 2nd level. The best way to beat these players is to 'deek' them into thinking you're going for it. RushJet's 1st point about jumping from adjacent 1st level pads using the transitional jump, or circling around to return to your point of origin is a great way to do this. What will usually happen is the 'King' will waste his power-ups gunning for ya. So if they are indeed a novice, you can reach the 2nd level with relative ease and have a chance of cutting their royal arse up.
If the 'King' is a regluar DM'er, you're going to have your work cut out for you. The 'simplest' way is to 'Wha Jump' up to the 2nd level and begin your mid-air or cross-pad exchange of fire to see who the new 'King' shall be. Since a lot of people have trouble even getting that jump down, I would suggest a different strategy. Make them come to you. Make yourself a irresistible target. Play possum on one of the 1st level corner pads. Remember, if THEY come DOWN to meet YOU, you'll have the benefit of being able to slice them first because, if you time it right, your decap/push disk will be able to hit their feet before their discs can hit your head! The best DM'ers I've gone up against like a challenge, and soaking up power-ups while you 'vapourize' their bodes coming off that transitional jump isn't much of a challenge, it's fun to watch and listen, but anyone can do that. The great players constantly move between the 1st and 2nd levels, sometimes even throwing away their power-ups to give themselves a greater challenge. This brings up our next point...

Power-Ups:
Please do not assume I am saying that power-ups are for beginners only. Absolutely not! Kermit's notes and subsequent additions by others to using freeze discs are essential for advanced players. The triple shot can help you clear a pad with ease. A decap shot with the fast shot can make the 'Sev Shot' (see 2nd post) much easier since the discs are stacked vertically on each other. And the power shot gives us three decaps in quick succession. We all know by the now the benefits of these, the point I'm making is using them in moderation. 'Spamming' on a DM1 server by hoarding the power-ups does NOT take any skill. I'm sorry, I know it's part of the game, but there is a certain etiquette on DM1. I will never call it cheating, but just don't expect anyone to commend you on your skill or for you to declare that you have an abundance of it. Great DM'ers use power-ups some of the times because it becomes damn near impossible to hit another great DM'er with just push and decap discs. This is my own personal opinion, and by all means feel free to disagree, but having more than 2 power-ups at one time is too much of an advantage. That's just me. Do whatever the hell you want. But I've seen the best DM'ers follow this rule so I feel obliged to follow suit.

This is my favorite stall jump:

Hit the intermediate arrow that sends you to the second level, and then immediately hold backwards. You'll fall right back onto that arrow again. From there you can go one of 4 places: Do the stall again, go to the second level pad, go to the pad on your left (your origanal pad), or go to the corner pad to your right. You can sit and bounce on that arrow all day, and fire off shots. People who try to use the pad you are bouncing on, tend to get blocked and fall into the abyss. And really the only defense against it is to fire at the person from an angle. But some players have gotten good at actually being able to fire in multiple directions while doing that stall, instead of directly in front of you.

Another interesting jump:

On the second level, hit the arrow that sends you to the first arrow, Strafe REAL hard to the left. If you do it right you'll land on a middle pad arrow or even the middle pad itself.

How to kill that person trying to decap your legs while on the second level:

Most likely you will be standing in the middle of the pad, so it is real easy for someone to come up and hit your legs. as he is approaching, at the last second strafe to the arrow that sends you to the first level and fire. If done right, he will miss and pop right into your disc. Its a great counter move.

Multi-decap:

Fire the decap over the center barrier so it skims just over the top of the barrier. If timed right you should get anyone jumping into the center along with any people who just spawned. (I love this shot)

A harder stall then the first one:

Again start on the second level, walk backwards and hit the arrow taking you to the first level. Hold down the forwead key and bounce for a bit (this one may recuire ajustments via strafing).

Surpise kill:

This combines two previously mentioned moves. Do the previous stall move. As someone jumps up the regular way to the second level, stop stalling and let yourself drop and shoot at them. If timed right, you will get away and their head will be laying on the pad.

Crazy angle kill:

No one expects a disc coming from a direction where a pad doesn't exist. Remember this isn't arena, you don't lose the round for falling. Angle a jump so that you will land in the abyss. Then shoot off a disc at that annoying camper, or just some passing sap. It's a tough shot, but you can get satisfaction from killing them.

Console use:

This command can be used in arena, but is invaluable to me in dm. I must give credit to pique for showing me this command. cl_solid_players 0. When you type this in, bind it to a key, or put it into autoexec.cfg, you will not lag on dead decapped bodies.

Thats all that I can think of for now.
DM rules!!! I love getting in DM1 with any CAKE person and spending hours dodging and cursing.
PuNkGirL,Oct 20 2003, 02:50 PM Wrote:This is my favorite stall jump:

Hit the intermediate arrow that sends you to the second level, and then immediately hold backwards. You'll fall right back onto that arrow again. From there you can go one of 4 places:
im not a big fan of this stall, mainly because your up in the air for a long time and when you begin your decent your basically moveing straight down, basically easy pickins. If your a patient dm player, you can basically camp at the bottom, and wait for them to land, or in the middle. After they leave go to where they were and wait. If your more aggresive like i am, its not to difficult to read when they are about to leave, and right into one of your discs (in theory). When stalling their, your in the air for awhle, and bascially a lot of hang time, and if your a decap user, a sitting duck. You can also come out of the wha, turn towards the pad they are on, and get under them to blast them.

pG mentioned discs coming from places where there is no pad, dropping down and killing them, I call these drop shots, very useful. You dont need a disc if your about to fall, so u might as well shoot it and hope for the best. Used properly it can be very effective, since im anti spawn killing, even by chance, i wont shoot at the spawns, so when dropping, i'll find the closest person to me, and try to shoot them, if they're moveing, guess. If they are jumping, shoot the flight path, i've gotten a few points by those means, including experianced players, and one during one of my two matches, and one point can be huge.
DM1 Etiquette

___I've noticed a few players, when talking about certain moves or about the habits of other users, mention things they would not do; unwriten rules that most regular players usually pick up on. The following is a list of common mannerisms that I've noticed other people exhibit and I have come to adopt. Most of these points can be easily translated over to Arena, but I'll leave that decision up to someone who plays that map regularily.

1. 'Spamming' : Having the fast shot combined with the triple shot (plus the addition of any third power-up) allows anyone to 'spam' their target. Essentially, you are using almost no skill to kill someone since, used at the right time, there can be almost no defense against it. It's the equivalent of bring a machine gun to a knife fight. Yes, you still need SOME skill to know when to fire the gun, but the amount is very minimal and its too easy of a kill.

2. Spawn Shooting : Firing off shots towards a spawn point when there is NO ONE THERE is frowned upon. We all do it by accident sometimes, but you should not fire shots at an empty spawn point with the goal of killing someone before they have the ability to react. This includes camping on a 1st level pad and ricocheting push discs to the opposite or adjacent 1st level pad to hit people when as soon as they spawn.

3. Double-Killing : Some servers have fixes that nullify this exploit, but not all. NEVER intentionally fire a push disc on a dead corpse (decap discs are not affected). Doing so once will force the spawned player to be hurled into the abyss before their feet touch the ground. Two or more shots will do the same but give the shooter a free point. This rule is STRICTLY enforced in most DM1 servers so I think I can speak for most DM1 server admins when I say that double-killing will get you banned in a hurry.

4. 'USE' Key Exploit : As per the last point, some servers have fixed this problem. If you are hit with a push disc, DO NOT press down the 'USE' key to stop your movements to avoid being thrown off a pad. Fortunately, this exploit does not work against decap discs, so if you're a num-nuts, by all means the press the 'USE' key to stand your ground when a decap disc is coming at your head! :blink: This goes for landing on a pad too. If you're coming in hard and fast from the 2nd level onto a 1st level pad, press the opposite directional key to counter your momentum. I admit I do that sometimes, but I'm trying to wean myself from the 'USE' key teet. :drink: And just like the last point, being caught doing this will bring the admin's wrath down upon you.

5. "Sry" and "Np" : We all make mistakes. Running into each other in mid-air, accidently double-killing, headstomping, etc. Almost all of the arena players I've gone up against follow this unwriten rule. Say "sry" (sorry) when you make a boo-boo (even if you're not sure if it was you're fault) and if you were wronged, say "np" (no problem) to forgive the person. I know this is obvious, but I'm a perfectionist and I like to be thorough. :D

6. "Ns" and "Ty" : Players of all differing skill levels will get in some really good shots on us...some fewer than others. In any case, when someone pulls of a shot that you feel was kick-arse, give them a "ns" (nice shot) to make them feel all warm and fuzzy. Also, be sure to say "ty" (thank you) when someone does say "ns" to you to return the favour. I don't look down on anyone who does not do this because obviously not everyone wants to say it for whatever reason...but it's still nice to hear it from time to time.

7. Killing AFK's (Away from Keyboard) : This one only really applies to friends on a DM1 server. Even then, it's really up to you. It's the same as which sort of friends you can call a "arse-hole" and ones you could only get away with calling a "fecal-matter-exit-point-void-area". I have no problem killing AFK's if they're newcomers who decide to take a little potty-break because their lifeless bodies get in my way in a crowded server. You should not try to kill someone when they are typing (if you know they're responding to something your or someone else said) since it IS a cheap shot. Same goes for when someone's practicing a certain move when there's only 2 or 3 people on a server. But like I said, it's largely situational.

___These are the basic unwriten rules I've adopted and observed over time. They are there to ensure we don't piss-off other players. Some rules are simply a matter of being polite and generous...if those are not some of your qualities, than such is life and we just won't have to take it personally. But regardless of whether or not the Ricochet community will live on in HL2, we should do little things like these to help build a fun place for people to slice off other people's heads. :kiss:

DM1 Trick Move Demos

___I made demos of some of the tricks that have been listed in the previous posts. The following files are included in the "demos.zip" file attached to this post.

cakewalk.dem - A demo of "CAKE-Walking" (as explained in [CAKE]anonymity's posts.

flyby1.dem - A demo of a fly-by hit not explained in any thread.

flyby2.dem - A demo of another fly-by hit not explained in any thread.

footdecap1.dem - A demo of The "Beat Ya To It" Shot

footdecap2.dem - A demo of The "Sev" Shot

whajump.dem - A demo of the 'Wha' Jump

___To play a demo, make sure you extract these files into your MOD directory (eg. C:\Sierra\Half-Life\ricochet\ ) and enter into the console in Ricochet. Use the following command:

playdemo <filename>

___Enter one of the demo files (do NOT include the .dem extention) where <filename> is (eg. playdemo whajump). WARNING: Using the 'playdemo' command while in any Ricochet server will automatically disconnect you from it! For whatever reason, you might see a hand holding a hand grenade (as in the regular Half-Life) when you playback the demos. Do not worry, this does not mean I use grenades in online Ricochet games.;)

Attached Files
.zip   demos.zip (Size: 309.48 KB / Downloads: 17)

The name of the game is 'Ricochet', not 'Decapitate' or 'Bekindtoyourmate'. I left your server last night because you asked me not to
'Spawn Shoot' anymore on DM1. Shooting from the bottom level into the sweet spot middle to knock off middle landers for a double is
not Spawn Shooting and is TOTALLY natural to the map. You also can get a triple if you hit one of the 4 guys slapping away on the far point.
If you want to fire off 3 shots and leave your initial spawn point, WHY NOT. It's the same as firing them at the barrier behind the spawn point and then
jump to the upper level. You might hit someone who is on the left/right lower level spawn point and get a double. Don't get mad because I catch up
to your established 70 + points in 15 minutes. The true spawn shooters are the ones who stand behind the spawners on the pads and wait for them to
respawn and they receive an instant decap. People who have been playing ricochet for a couple years now don't need a lesson in manners. That's as inane
as saying the people doing the repetative bounce on the top bouncers and keep firing single shots to the opposite sides are being rude. It just makes you want
to slay them even more but it's not out of line. Has the game gotten so pale that we have to publish documents and documents of self-instituted rules now?
Just play the game and enjoy it like we used to.
the point system in rico in dm, is represnitiive of how many kills you get, not how many ppl land on your disc as they spawn. You dont need point inflation tactics to be a good dmer. The best way to settle who is the better dmer, is to one on one in a locked server.
Hm... I don't agree with all those rules.... such as...

1. Sry and Np - If you accidently knock someone in arena, it matters since they lose. If you do it in deathmatch, it's only a minor inconvenience and is part of the map. It's really both of your faults if you think about it.

2. Spamming - I can see the multiple powerup thing, but it's not impossible to kill people with this-- it just takes skill. Also, regular spamming shouldn't be looked down on.

One that I agree with and wholeheartedly hate is double killing. When I saw that I thought it meant shooting one decap disc and having it kill 2 people:)but that's not it. I've heard this referred to as "mining" as well-- I hate it when some smartass hits your dead body.

The use key I also agree with (although I never use the thing... it's almost worthless to me anyway). I just hate seeing people using this EVERY time they jump.
Regarding the "Double Killing" fix that makes this not possible...which servers have it and are there any admins I can talk to about what it takes to implements?

Thanks,

evil_admin
asm has it I think
PIX,Oct 22 2003, 06:46 AM Wrote:If you want to fire off 3 shots and leave your initial spawn point, WHY NOT.  It's the same as firing them at the barrier behind the spawn point and then
jump to the upper level.  You might hit someone who is on the left/right lower level spawn point and get a double.  Don't get mad because I catch up
to your established 70 + points in 15 minutes.  The true spawn shooters are the ones who stand behind the spawners on the pads and wait for them to
respawn and they receive an instant decap.

___I'm sorry Pix, but I do not see the difference between "true spawn shooters" and the type of spawn shooting you exercise because both types give the spawned user absolutely NO time to react as they spawn. Whether it's from across the map or camping in front of the spawn point, you are doing the same thing because you give the user no chance to orient themselves once they've been spawned. I do agree that you can still use it to catch a player who is landing on a 1st level pad from a 2nd level pad, but when you're simply firing off discs JUST to hopefully hit spawned people that IS the same as camping right in front of the spawn points and holding down the decap button.

PIX,Oct 22 2003, 06:46 AM Wrote:Don't get mad because I catch up
to your established 70 + points in 15 minutes. The true spawn shooters are the ones who stand behind the spawners on the pads and wait for them to
respawn and they receive an instant decap. People who have been playing ricochet for a couple years now don't need a lesson in manners. That's as inane
as saying the people doing the repetative bounce on the top bouncers and keep firing single shots to the opposite sides are being rude. It just makes you want
to slay them even more but it's not out of line. Has the game gotten so pale that we have to publish documents and documents of self-instituted rules now?
Just play the game and enjoy it like we used to.

___Heh, if I got mad everytime someone caught up to my score I would have stopped playing a year ago when I first ran into [CAKE] players. I really stopped caring about the score a long time ago. I'll have matches with other DM'ers such as first to score 10 points off the other, but that's about it. Believe what you want to, but that is the truth.
___I am sorry to all (including you Pix) if my post on etiquette seemed as if I was trying to change the way the game is played. These "manners" are simply the way that myself and the regular DM'ers play when we get together. Sometimes we don't follow these guidelines to the letter either, but it's the basic unwriten rules for our matches. If you don't want to follow some of the rules that ask users to be polite, fine, don't...I'm not chasing down a dream of a utopian online gaming community that is filled with butterflies and peppermint candies and where we all hug each other when we make a mistake; let's be realistic. There are some that I believe, as RushJet1 pointed out, are very important.

RushJet1,Oct 22 2003, 07:22 AM Wrote:Hm... I don't agree with all those rules.... such as...

1. Sry and Np - If you accidently knock someone in arena, it matters since they lose. If you do it in deathmatch, it's only a minor inconvenience and is part of the map. It's really both of your faults if you think about it.

2. Spamming - I can see the multiple powerup thing, but it's not impossible to kill people with this-- it just takes skill. Also, regular spamming shouldn't be looked down on.

___You're completely right RushJet, it doesn't matter if you fall in DM1 since your score is unaffected. The only real reason I do it is because when I force someone to fall, I feel like I've screwed up a move for them. Most of the time we just laugh because it usually catches us off guard and we're probably stunned at seeing the models so close that we forget to shoot. If you do not feel that way, don't feel like I or any other reasonable DM'er will get mad at you. I know it's a minor thing. It's just a matter of preference.
___I don't think I said regular spamming (using just plain old push discs I'm assuming) is looked down upon. I do that too. I use it to 'drive' people to where I want them to go. Because DM1 is such a large map spamming in this manner is relatively much easier to avoid than Arena. Sorry if I didn't make this clear.

___I might as well say this now to avoid future misunderstandings. I am NOT someone, who has only played for a year, trying to bust into your Ricochet world and dictate to you what the game MUST be. There are some basic rules I hope people can see to avoid unfair advantages (double-killing, spamming spawn points, 'use' key exploits). The rest are simply a question of being considerate. If you don't want to follow the latter type of rules, then do NOT follow them. I am not trying to assimilate anyone into being a happy-happy nut that never says a bad word. Most of you have played this game a LOT longer than I have so when I make these posts on strategy and etiquette, I bring it to you not as, "Here, this is the where the best Rico-crap is!"...but as, "This is what I've observed, what do you think?".

PIX and Shalk are the biggest Spawn Killers, I think the difference between them, is that PIX tends to move away and do other bits and goto different pads, whereas Shalk just camps there most of the time if he's losing :-D
Glad to see you are using the New Unabridged Beebs Dictionary terms Net for 'Spawn Killing'.

I think I saw your picture beside the entry for 'Drama Queen' in the D section.
well wha did come up with most of the terms that are accepted in the rico dm dictionary, he sells them for 5 bucks a peice at the airport:P
and this isnt a who does this witch hunt. Those people know there style and have addopted it, its there choice. Bottom line is, if you think your better, and the person is always above u in the point standings, feel free to challenge them to a match.

The sry and np thing, its just being polite, if your falling your not up there killing, and in a way, its indirect punishment. The most annoying thing is when u get a "noobclide" thats basically when a noob sees u jump and knows they are going to collide with u if they jump, and they do it anyway, those are annoying.
Quote:Regarding the "Double Killing" fix that makes this not possible...which servers have it and are there any admins I can talk to about what it takes to implements?

yep, i got it...simple fix...just pm me. i will give an updated mp.dll w/ all the fixes thus far to severed...from that point, beebs will probably have it and then double-killing will be as rare as white-disc on grits 24/7.

btw, thanks to evil, the use key is properly handled in that .dll as well (meaning you can still trigger events like the elevator in rc_stalkyard but it aint going to help you one iota against a puch disc). this means you don't need a plug-in to disable the use key anymore. it's hard-wired and adds nothing to computational complexity.

as far as dm, that's all i got. i don't know (or forgot) of any other bugs or pressing issues w/ dm. i guess the only thing left would be to add the ability of a spectator to respawn at some point in the game (which is trivial to implement).
unless u wanted to actually spectate, its been known to happen on rare occassions.
He means a way to get back willingly, not a forced return.
Quote:He means a way to get back willingly, not a forced return.

exactly. i thought this was implied by "...add the ability of a spectator to respawn at some point in the game". maybe that is somewhat ambiguous...how is "...give the spectator the ability to respawn at a later time in the game"? this would mean when you get tired of spectating and want to play, you don't have to go through the trouble of reconnecting.
Ah. I forgot it was soo much trouble to type a 5 word command 'retry' in the console :-D