Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam
I like the interface, the convenience of it and I like CS 1.6 and looking forward to playing with you guys soon, but I tried RC out and it was totally weird. No sounds when I jump and theres a little dip when I jump, almost like I'm gonna fall, but then it catapolts me and I land in the other pad. Really feels weird to me. I tried reinstalling the old files, but my computer couldn't find .exe files. Do I still need the Sierra folder?

So how do I have Steam and still play the regular RC?
If you want to play on the WonID side yo uneed to install everything back in your sierra folder directly from the CD. when I installed STEAM I kept the old installation and now I play both sides.
Unfortunately, there is a bit of lag as you hit that bumper now... which is wierd coz I haven't really noticed it in any other mod that much (though could be why I'm such a bad shot - excuses excuses). You do get used to it is all I can say, as you start playing as if you've hit it anyway. The only time it's now a pain is when you either think you've hit it but haven't, or accidentally hit it, but you don't quite realise (no sound + tiny lag).
Its deffinatley worth haveing both if you play RC. There was an option that asked if you wanted to back up the orginal HL files? The reccomnded was to not back them up because it will take up more HD space. Valve also made the assumption that it would actually work. The defualt option is that it doesnt back up your HL files, so you have to look out for that.
steam is better for everything but ricochet. i don't get it myself since it's the same standard .dll used on the won servers which means ricochet needs updated to be fully compliant with the new hl steam version because basically some hl engine tweak is behind all the rc problems i'm guessing (just guessing).

yeah, if i didn't play ricochet, i would get rid of everything else but steam. i have been playing 'they hunger' sp mod (awesome-ass game btw) under steam with no problems since the new update. so i'll be playing all my sp mods under steam now in addition to the mp mods.
.asm, I will presume you know that by putting your older mods under Steam\SteamApps\<email>\Half-Life\<mod> then it will appear in your start menu... but if you don't I've just kinda explained that anyway.
i do, but before the newer steam update...you had to use a special utility to manipulate the sp mod's .pak files (or something like that) before you could play the mod under steam. it was always possible but it was a bit of a pain. now it's fixed and it is as easy as any other mp mod under steam. as a matter of fact, i have recently moved two sp mods from my sierra folder to steam.
Didn't know that about the SP mods coz I never really play SP ones any more.
Taromaru,Feb 18 2004, 03:30 PM Wrote:Steam is essentially just to me a rip off Kali, which was easy to use and was created some years ago for the classic games of Doom and DukeNukem 3d.  I could not even begin to describe the agony of trying to maintain steam on my wilting computer.  Half Life wont even install now, and though I thought the steam file was about 700 megs in size, the SteamPowered website allowed me to download and install it in minutes.  Can anyone explain this?  I have not engaged in the Half Life in some time, but I would enjoy doing so.
700megs is the FULL steam install including ALL steam caches for CS, DOD, HLDM, RICO, TFC, DMC, and not forgetting OF and the DS. If you download the small version, you'll have to download the game cache's before you can play them... thus eventually you'll download 700mb ;-)
i just downloaded the rico cache only version of steam. it was like 15mb. i just clicked on 'update' for the games i wanted, went to bed and like magic, they were all ready to play the next morning.
.asm,Feb 20 2004, 03:52 AM Wrote:i just downloaded the rico cache only version of steam. it was like 15mb. i just clicked on 'update' for the games i wanted, went to bed and like magic, they were all ready to play the next morning.
Yup. You only grab the 700mb version if you want it faster and to play within an hour or two.
haha. . remember way back when, when we thought they were gonna force us to switch within a matter of 2 weeks or something?
Yeah, I remember. I also remember thinking that it wouldn't happen, and guess what.. it didn't.
well, it was obvious it wasn't going to happen when they rolled out the first version of steam. there was bound to be problems, but geez, that was rough. i'm glad my distrusting nature didn't let steam delete my hl content from my sierra folder. won will be around for a while longer but i think hl2 will be a steam only affair.
Can't disagree on ANY of those points. I think it'll be a while yet too. However, just imagine if they HAD blundered through with both HL2 and Steam when they should have (like Microsoft used to do ... and we saw the effects of with Win95)