Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does telling racial jokes
Today, I told a white guy a really funny joke today, that involves a black, mexican and white man and he didn't laugh or even smile for that matter. Below, is the link to the joke

http://maxpages.com/jokerguy/MeXiCaN_JoKeS

I asked him why he didn't find the joke funny and he got aggitated and called me a racist. Then he told me that he is involved with the NAAPC. I told him I also tell jokes about Italians, Pollocks, Whites, women, etc etc...then went on to tell him that I'm 1/8 Pollock and that it doesn't bother me when someone tells me a good Pollock joke or a male bashing joke for example. I also told him that I have black, mexican and white friends and I treat them all with respect. In fact some of my ethnic friends tell me jokes about Pollocks and whites and I laugh at them, not taking them serious.

I know I can't expect everyone to be as liberal as me or have the same of sense of humor, but people need to lighten up!

After he left, the more I thought about it, the more offended I became. He could very well argue that I teller of tasteless jokes, but to call me a racist was ingorant of him. I don't feel that I'm a racist. Personally, I think someone who supports the NAACP should represent themselves better, rather than spouting off angry comments.

Do you guys think that anyone who tells an ethnic joke is a racist?
I think people use the weapon of "you're a racist" a little too much these days.
It's their ONLY reply back if they feel threatened. It kind of goes back to the
hypocracy that people say blacks can't be racist.

I will admit that I used to have racist thoughts living here in the deep south. But of
course it was just as vile on the other side of the tracks also. My city is enveloped in
'us vs them' strife and I don't see any resolution. I have changed my ways and my thoughts
towards other people since I started back in my Church. We are all on the same team and
EVERYONE needs to realize that. We all bleed red...cept for Mr. Spock... Was the joke just
totally crass towards all the mentioned races or focused on one? Why don't you post it so we
can decide.
No offense to anyone, but I think people that think you're racist are actually racist themselves. It's like they don't want to talk to anyone who might have a predjudice. Just my thought anyhow.
A Mexican, a black guy, and a white guy are walking down the beach and find a magic lamp. They of course rub it, and out comes a genie, offering them each one wish. The Mexican says, "I wish that all Mexican-Americans were happy back in Mexico." The genie says his wish is granted. The black guy says, I wish all my brothas in the USA were happy back in Africa. His wish is granted. The genie asks the white guy what he wishes for, and the guy says, "So all the Mexicans are in Mexico and black guys are in Africa, right?" The genie says, "Yeah". So the white guy says, "Well...then I guess I'll have a Coke."
If you are making a derogatory statement towards a person because of their color without fact, than you are making a prejudicial statement. Basically based on ingnorance. If you make the same statement and it hurts or hinders a group or individual,then you are making a racist statement(whether it is intentional or not). If its done to intentionally hurt, you are a racist.
Think about how many statements we make toward persians today. There were alot more iraqi victims(those that sadaam killed) than were aggressors, but we tend to group them all together as terrorist. That's prejudicial. But to keep an american/iraqi from getting a job=racist.
Shouldn't this be in debates?
_Acid_Head_,Feb 20 2004, 02:48 PM Wrote:Shouldn't this be in debates?
no debate here
It can be tough... I have a habit of making fun of asians because my best friend for many years is Chinese. We'd trade back and forth jokes. But of course, if I say something like that to an asian that I haven't been good friends with, they may interpret it the wrong way, and it's hard to explain that I'm good friends with a mixture of races. My father is a racist, and the thing about racists is that they don't make that many jokes, they make straight up prejudiced and hateful statements. I think EVERY joke should be taken lightly, no matter the subject, but often it's best to keep it private because it may offend certain people. Among my friends I am known for a very crude humor that some might find offensive, but to me it's just something that triggers laughter and I find funny. I had a teacher that made sexist jokes a lot, as well as some stuff about native americans... several complained while several laughed. Many failed to understand that he's married to a native american woman. Lighten up! He doesn't mean it!

Bottom line, be careful where and to whom you say things, because you have to respect some people getting offended. But no, telling a joke doesn't make you anything, because it's a JOKE. Sometimes there is an imbalance in who makes fun of who... this is why I like Chapelle's Show, because he's a black guy that makes fun of EVERYone, including blacks. And he exaggerates it all so much that it's hard to take offense to it (especially when you're laughing so hard you forget to be offended).
Quote:Does telling racial jokes, make you a racist?

Potential debate. I'm in the group that doesn't give a shit =)

You can make fun of my heritage all you want, I still look white, lol.
i thought that joke was funny. i read it as a satire about prejudice/racism. but then again, it depends on how you tell the joke. basically, if you didn't follow that up with 'man that would be great wouldn't it?', then i don't see the problem. some people are easily offended, so i would never tell a joke like that to a stranger or aquaintance. everytime i go to dennys i make a stale crack about checking if the chef is wearing a pointed hat and i bet that same guy who was so offended at your joke would be somehow offended by that as well (dennys got in trouble with prejudice and preferential treatment of white customers a few years ago). basically, the guy probably has a stick up his ass.i would leave it at that and forget about it. if you have to run across him on a regular basis, just be civil and keep the jokes to yourself. i save my off-color jokes as fodder for my friends who i know are good people (i.e. non-racist), who appreciate the satire and will get a chuckle out of it. if one of my friends is sensitive with regards to jokes like that or i just don't know, i keep it to myself. it's really all about perspective. i don't make off-color jokes here because i know that several people here are sensitive with regards to prejudice and discrimination and also that many of the younger regulars will fail to see the satire and think that kind of humour as being personally reflective of character as well as encourgement for racist/homophobic statements. however, i hate comedians like don rickles who make racial and ethnic jokes a big part of their act because it does become too-much and i become uncomfortable as i begin to wonder if they are just masking their own racism/homophobia through humour.

see, i think it would be worse if you told that joke and the guy said "yeah, right on...get rid of them all!". then, what do you do? then he thinks he formed some sort of vile bond with you and that could be very uncomfortable. anyways, you got to scope out these people before you try your schtick on them.^_^
_Acid_Head_,Feb 20 2004, 03:36 PM Wrote:Potential debate
you look like a monkey! or an albino mexican!
is this even considered a joke? who would even create something like this? This is really horrible

Q: What's the difference between a Jew and a pizza?
A: A pizza doesn't scream when you put it in the oven.
sorry, I stumbled across this when I was searching for the "coke" joke. Damn, but these are some of the most distasteful jokes I've ever read or heard of!

http://drummerguy452.5u.com/custom2.html

if you laugh at any of these, you need immediate help!
sorry guys acid is right this is going to turn into a debate, gives people the right to question others interpetations...you couldnt possibly have thought someone would say yes and someone else say no without some debating going on....
btw I would also like to answer but I will move the thread first.

and just an FYI if you check out the debate forum you will see it is handled more light handed when it comes to any kind of censorship so it is safer here too:)
I think it depends on the joke like asm said. I am quite light hearted about my canadian status and atheistic religion. I joke about it, I know GRITS jokes about it a lot to, and we are all cool with it. I am not sure if you americans will find this movie funny but i sure do. I am reffering to Canadian Bacon with John Candy and was made by Micheal Moore. I love this movie, and think it does a great job at making fun of both american and canadian stereotypes. I reccomend it to anyone in north america.
I agree, " Blame it on Canada"
i call one of my best friends racial slurs sometimes (pretty rarely though) and make jokes about black people (if you hadn't guessed, he's black) in return i expect no less disrespect towards white people from him. . .it's all fun and games though and we don't mean anything by it soooo....I could care less.

if i said. . .That black guy can run fast! and someone called me racist. . I would think that that person would be racist. . i mean I wasn';t thinking about my comment in a racist way. . i was just pointing out a fast runner and to msake it more specific of whom i'm talking about. . i say that black guy.
This whole conversation reminds me of an issue about race and double standards and such. You know when a black guy says the N word, its ok, but if i (a white guy) said it, it would be taken as an insult. I know why it is, because white guys would use it when reffering to black slaves, and it would just remind them of it. But i still think of it as a very powerfull word, and never like anyone using it regardless of race. I know its powefull because what white people did to the black people. They know what we did, and how hard it was too fight for what they have today. I think that having one group of people where it is ok to say the N word and another where its not, doesnt accomplish anything to a color blind society.
You know who knows the most Polish jokes? Anyone with Polish heritage. For some reason when you say you are Polish people feel obligated to tell you their favorite polish joke.
If I am not offended by my friend telling the joke it does not make it right. Much like lil face experienced, some people are offended by ethnic jokes even if they are not part of the group in the joke and even if you are. I stopped telling polish jokes years ago because I am proud of my heritage and when you tell ethnic jokes you perpetuate a stereo type. I don’t think telling your joke makes you a ‘racist’ but you sure can’t use the term liberal if you are telling jokes about intolerance
I apologize to my Canadian friends…making fun of someone’s culture shouldn’t be acceptable. I will however continue to make direct fun of anyone who when I give prices in dollars (eg $7) they ask “is that American or Canadian?” I do agree there are acceptable 'satirical' jokes but who draws the line before you are called a xenophobe?
I'll again make the distinction between joking and being a racist/xenophobe. A person who is truly racist rarely will make some kind of joke. They will say "get on a boat and go back where you came from" rather than "so a black guy walks into a bar...."

You're being a tad bit pessimistic anon... yes, there is a "double standard" I suppose, although I don't really think that's true because if you refer to yourself as an insult as opposed to another, it's a totally different thing. But anyway, it's not that black people go around using a bad word and are keeping its existence, it's that they are changing a negative word into a positive one. What's wrong with that? When a black guy calls another black guy that, he means friend... it's pretty much like saying "dude." Hell, I say it to some of my friends (not in public of course, I'm too white for that). But if I had a close black friend, we'd probably say it. I think it's a bit more prevalent around here than it is in Canada, so perhaps you don't quite see it the same way.

Also, I'm pretty tired of the whole notion of what "we" did to "them." I refuse to take responsibility for what white people did in the past, enslaving Africans. Did I take part? Hell no. Did my ancestors take part? I honestly don't know, but if they did, it doesn't make it my fault. I know you weren't exactly saying that, but I just think that people should stop saying "we" and "them."

Now, I am hungry and have a train to catch. I'll be back Sunday night, see you all later.
Quote:although I don't really think that's true because if you refer to yourself as an insult as opposed to another, it's a totally different thing
You are reffering to someone else, they just happen to be a member of your race, thats what i meant. Your talking about changing a negative word into a positive one, I'm all for that, but it has negative and positive uses, hence the double standard.

I see your point about we did to them and stuff, but i cant help feeling guilty for it. Even though it wasnt directly me, or my fault, I still think if we dont know those mistakes and learn from them we will be doomed to repeat them. Feeling something is just another step in insuring not repeating those mistakes.
we look at the past and learn from it. . and while yes i agree it was a tragedy, it kinda bugs me these days how some people still push the fact that blacks were slaves or natives lost land. I'm part native, i'm not about to go and fight so i can get a bigger property (but i do see why certain tribes fight to gain what they've lost, many of 'em are pretty contradictory though) black people. . .they aren't all of a slaves decent!! But it's automatically thought, you're black your ancestors must've been slaves, that right there is something i would consider a racist thought. .while you might say it sympathetically it's still saying "black people are/were slaves!"

whatever, you guys get my point (i think)... I'ma stop now, my debating skills are depleting.

g-boy pretty much stated my post in this paragraph:
Quote:Also, I'm pretty tired of the whole notion of what "we" did to "them." I refuse to take responsibility for what white people did in the past, enslaving Africans. Did I take part? Hell no. Did my ancestors take part? I honestly don't know, but if they did, it doesn't make it my fault. I know you weren't exactly saying that, but I just think that people should stop saying "we" and "them."
I try not to push it in people’s faces. I'm sure their are some guys who use it to their advantage whenever possible. Yes this is despicable and needs to be changed. Using other peoples suffering for your own benefit is always wrong, so I agree with your point their.

I just don’t know how you cannot feel anything. It’s almost as if you were in denial about it, to save yourself the mental discomfort. Maybe taking responsibility is a bit too far, but you have to at least do something, maybe think a bit more about someone’s feelings. I think we need to decide if the N word is a bad word or a good word. If we want it to be a good word, then let’s make it a good word, if not, and then let it be a bad one for everyone.
[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Feb 21 2004, 12:04 PM] I just don’t know how you cannot feel anything. It’s almost as if you were in denial about it, to save yourself the mental discomfort. Maybe taking responsibility is a bit too far, but you have to at least do something, maybe think a bit more about someone’s feelings. I think we need to decide if the N word is a bad word or a good word. If we want it to be a good word, then let’s make it a good word, if not, and then let it be a bad one for everyone.
Quote:i agree it was a tragedy

if i were in denial about it's occurance, i wouldn't talk about it. I do feel bad for those you had to suffer, but it's not my fault, and it doesn't happen anymmore. People have learned to stop, now learn to let it go.
FF just said exactly what I was thinking... gotta learn to let it go. It's been a long time... I feel bad for the human beings that were enslaved in the past, but I don't feel sorry for the current state of the black race as a whole, because I don't think it's much of a problem for them to be free and successful anymore. We are very well aware of the past, and no one is saying it was good. There's no use in feeling guilty.

The Holocaust was much more recent, and much more worse than can be described in words. Should anyone of German/Austrian decent feel guilty? Should they apologize to Jews they encounter? If they didn't take part in it, no! Persecution and slavery happens all around the world in the past and even now... shit happens, and I don't think there's much of a problem in America about learning from mistakes like that. I think the world is still recovering from WWII and the Holocaust, slavery of the past is far in the back of the mind as it should be, unless of course we do it again.
They should feel something. It wasnt you and you couldnt do anything about that, and most people know that, and won't hold it against you. Has anyone ran into the type of black person who thinks white guys still want them enslaved and such? I haven't ran into one of these people, except in movies or TV shows, so i really dont know if they exist. I know there is bound to be at least one person like that. I think a sincere apology would go a long way to that person.
Well, I think this is dead and will go back and forth... but my point in a nutshell is that people aplogize for things they did... not things other people did.
...lotta cotton up in Canada was there?