Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever play UO?
I've played lots of different MMORPGs during the past years, but none have ever come close to the enjoyability that is Ultima Online. Why? All other mmogs are all about progression, in the long run you lose interest in the end-game and eventually move on to some other game. Ultima Online though, is a very dynamic game, it isn't even about good npc AI or nice graphics, it's about the community you're in. If you didn't know I quit EverQuest again recently, the game lost all fun factor, it went from what was something somewhat enjoyable in Velious to a steaming pile of shit. So, I went back to UO for about the 10th time, the game just keeps drawing me in, you can play for just an hour a day or less and still feel content with what little you did. The only time I paid for UO is back in the Abyss days (when pvp was awesome!), when Abyss went down I started joining free servers. Emulators went a long way since 1998 when TUS came out. The latest emulator is fully scripted (customizable) in C# and runs flawlessly on a medium-range server (as long as it has a lot of bandwidth). The server I just joined has 1,000+ active players in the world at all times, more than I've ever seen on any free UO shard, and currently more than any pay shards have online (ranging 400-600). Best of all, this shard has been re-coded as a duplicate of what UO was in 1998 (drooool)! This shard has NO lag (4mb pipeline, 2 terabit bandwidth limit per month). If anybody remembers this game, and would like to play with me on this server, or if you just wanna check it out anyway, say so bellow, I can provide a link to the FULL GAME (yes, free, full game to download), and the instructions on how to log on to this free server. Just don't be expecting flashy graphics or anything heh, it's a 2d game that looks much like baldur's gate or Fallout (if you ever played those).

Long paragraph eh? :/
i always wanted to play this game but never found a link or a way to play it for free.

plz share the link and explaine how will we play it for free:)
The link to the shard I play on is http://www.wtfman.com/shard/

There's a link for the full game under join, after you install it (don't install the 3d version, it blows goats ass) patch the game to the latest version, to do this just run the client.exe. You will need UOGateway or Razor to login to the server, I suggest you get Razor (it's a third party program coded by the same people that coded the emulator. It just makes a lot of shit easier in the game), you can get Razor at www.runuo.com (you will need to register on runuo and will need to download the .NET framework on microsoft, which is required for any C# programs). Just put in the server information in the Razor login window ( IP: 64.31.131.201 // Port: 2593 ), server creation is automatic, meaning you put in your information once and that'll be your account information until you change it. You really should talk to me before logging in (if you're new to this game), if you mess up on starting skills you'll be wishing you didn't in the future:PAlso it's very confusing when you don't know where the hell you are or what you're doing, so just PM me or ask me questions here heh.

Just noticed all the files you need (other than UO itself) is in the download section, well, at least they're linked to the sites :/
Thx, i tried to play it but it looked to me too messy, + didn't liked that it wasn't full screen.
I didn't understeand how to play it... OHHH Didn't notice the past u wrote 3d version is sux ass. i will try the 2d version, but i will try it tomorrow, its late in here, im off to bed.
Since I played DAOC, I have been hooked on MMORPG's. I have played Eve Online, Earth & Beyond, Planet Side(FPS/MMORPG) and yes even SWG :/. Ive heard of UO but never had the chance to play it, I guess this is my chance so I will give it a try. Thanks Acid.

BTW, there are 2 links on the "Join" page. One from Gigex and the other im not sure. What is the difference between them?

...I like your avatar too:P
Umm you can play the game in a windowed mode ( ALT + Enter, I always play windowed ), you can adjust the resolution and stuff too. If you gave up already, oh well, some people hate the look so bad that they quit the first day. Try it out for a month and learn what you need to learn ( www.uo.stratics.com has information on the game, but this server isn't like that anymore, it's what UO was like in 1998), you can check out the FAQ for some more info too. Apex, one requires some gigex program and another is a direct link, go with the direct download. Being a newbie is tough for everyone, hell I know how the game works and I'm having a hard time right now. There are several skills, the game is based on skills and stats, stats and some skills compliment other skills, like Anatomy compliments combat skills and bandage healing, though Tactics is the real damage multiplier for combat skills (150% dmg increase with GM tactics, 20% with GM anatomy). Beggining as a mage really isn't a good idea, to work up magery skills you need cash, and making cash as a newbie mage is near impossible. Right now I'm just fishing and cooking, selling fish steaks to cooks until I get a house to macro magery in. Eventually I'll have a well built PvP character, though I'll need some friends or a guild to get anywhere with that :/ It's a tough game with a lot of risks and rewards. The simplicity of how everything works is pretty cool. My friend also played DAoC but came back to UO:PSaid the PvP was better here.

If you absolutely hate this shard and would like to try a server that replicates a newer version of UO, I can link you to other ones as well. I play here because this is what *I* think UO is supposed to be like. Just like all other mmogs,as new expansions come out, everything becomes more newbie friendly, and frankly, I hate that.
Forgot to add, each character can only have up to 700 skill points and 225 stats, you can have five characters per account, and they allow two accounts per IP. My PK is going to be a Mage Swordsman, my crafter is going to be my money ho, also working up a thief because they're tons of fun^_^I'll eventually make an animal tamer since they're the best for making money (at full skill they can tame up to two dragons, powerful stuff), just that animal taming is a b***h to raise.
What do you recommend I start as?
Since you're new I recommend you go with a pure fighter (commonly referred to as a "dexxer" since they all have high dexterity). Swordsman and Fencer are the best dexxers, never start with a premade character, go to Advanced and pick out something like 35 str, 25 dex and 10 int, Healing and Resisting Spells (I know that sounds kinda stupid, but they're the two toughest skills to raise as a dexxer). Me and you can spar online, my mage needs wrestling anyway.

Eventually your character should looks something like this:

100 (fencing or swordsmanship)
100 tactics
100 anatomy
100 healing
100 resisting spells
100 parrying (this isn't necessary if you only plan on using 2 handed weapons, but War Forks as a fencer are nice)
100 hiding (incase a mage tries to cast a negative spell on you, you can just hide and they'll have to reveal you before they can do anything else).

If you wanna make a mage like me (All spells require reagents), you need to raise money first, so go blacksmith/tailor/fisherman and make stuff/sell to vendors.
Im installing the game right now.

Would you happen to have MSN Messenger?
Go 2d, 3d sucks so bad ;/

Then just follow the instructions I posted, need to patch, connect with Razor or uogateway, etc.
That's the beauty of free servers, they took out all of the bullshit, including the 8x8 method, the rules here allow you to macro unattended freely as long as it isn't in a few specific locations.
Ragnarok blows ;/
I guess I can't play games that have such a soft feel to them, Ragnarok is too cartoony and gameplay looks like it's designed for a 5-year-old. Same reason I just couldn't keep playing Survival Project, if you liked Ragnarok, you will more than likely love Survival Project.
I used to play alot... so did reciazorclecticless
i m playing horizons now is anyone play this game?
[Image: Bloodysign.jpg]
I wondered where you disappeared to....a lot of regulars are making thier way back to ricochet come play with us sometime..
I played UO way back when it came out. I didn't like it at all. It was too much like real life. I mean, you have to set up an occupation...and work it to get money...and then mine stuff to be able to make things. It was too much in the details and not enough in the action. The only thing I liked was that I had a pet cat that followed me around and I fed it to keep it liking me. lol.
_Acid_Head_,Mar 8 2004, 11:05 PM Wrote:Forgot to add, each character can only have up to 700 skill points and 225 stats, you can have five characters per account, and they allow two accounts per IP. My PK is going to be a Mage Swordsman, my crafter is going to be my money ho, also working up a thief because they're tons of fun^_^I'll eventually make an animal tamer since they're the best for making money (at full skill they can tame up to two dragons, powerful stuff), just that animal taming is a b***h to raise.
:blink::blink::blink::blink:

DEAR HEAVENS MY FRIEND!

what hast thou been doing?

Honestly find a server thats worth while man... not that 700 limit that just sucks.... go for a shard like the one i play on... arcodia! any skill you can gm, you can gm! fun admins... a bunch of brazillian haters from destroy my perfectly prospurouse old shard......WHY WHY WHY DO THEY INVADE.... YOUR ON AN AMERICAN SERVER, NOW SPEAK ENGLISH! I mean the mouthing you off behind your back and evilness..... i mean they would call you fers with out you knowing it! and use three letters to call you an sob....

umm sorry..... but... uhh..... yeah..... umm..... I get frustrated with them... they called me some messed up things... like a cabbage head.... i mean thats just disspicable... I mean... WTF is a cabbage head? honestly i mean.... just cause you dont like cabbage doesnt mean its an insult... hey anyone have a server to start a shard up? that could be awesome with like me and acid as admins ruling with IRON FISTS!
Relinquish,Apr 12 2004, 07:29 PM Wrote:that could be awesome with like me and acid as admins ruling with IRON FISTS!
ppfff, if you're letting people call you a cabbage head at least say "Tin Fist" or aluminum or something.
GRITS,Apr 12 2004, 06:35 PM Wrote:I wondered where you disappeared to....a lot of regulars are making thier way back to ricochet come play with us sometime..
yea but now i m playing on steam :/
[Image: Bloodysign.jpg]
wow... ummm i was tired and uo brings out the worst in me sometimes.... like 2 years of hard work spit out by some evil "south american" admin running insane
I played on GM every skill type shards, you obviously never really tried playing on a 700 skillcap 225 statcap shard, it's how it is on OSI, and it's best for balancing reasons, GMing every skill is stupid as hell, no diversity between people. Honestly, try IPY for a while and you'll see how wrong you are.
i did play on one of those shards... it isnt that great in my opinion...
I used to play a lot in high school, then i played the WTFman shard but it wasnt quite like the original, try the Legacy Shard in the list of servers to chose from.