Poll: Who do you think will take the cup home?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Toronto
20.83%
5 20.83%
Tampa Bay
8.33%
2 8.33%
Philadelphia
12.50%
3 12.50%
Vancouver
8.33%
2 8.33%
Colorado
8.33%
2 8.33%
Boston
4.17%
1 4.17%
Dallas
4.17%
1 4.17%
Calgary
12.50%
3 12.50%
Detroit
16.67%
4 16.67%
San Jose
4.17%
1 4.17%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanley Cup
Moving to the north has been a cultural change for me. One of the most obvious is the way they view the Stanley Cup....you would think it was a real sport played with a ball like basketball, football or baseball. These people go all out for a game you play on ice...wow unfathomable. The fever is catching and I am just wondering how many of you keep up on Hockey and who you think will take it all? I admittedly don’t know enough about it to make an educated guess so I am going with my heart…born in Tampa…I will have to cheer for them in the playoffs…but I think Toronto might actually come out on top.
There was only room for 10 of the 16 in the poll so I eliminated Ottawa and Islanders right off since they are playing my favorites in the first round...if your team isnt in the poll, you can write it in....but do you really want to?? think about it do they really have a chance? :D
Link if you want to follow the Playoffs Schedule
Here
^_^

:wub:
[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Apr 7 2004, 11:16 AM] Here
^_^

:wub:
Everyone ignore that post it is just a bad trick that anon is trying to use to convince people that I am losing my mind... :lol:

you think it would help if I color my hair?:P
Quote:[CAKE]anonymity Posted on Mar 18 2004, 04:51 PM 

Its almost playoff time and I'm getting geared for it. I'm gonna vote toronto but I am biased, but then again they do have a really good team, and their blue line got a lot better over the season.
Should I underline the date? :lol:
This is the only poll that truly counts...yours was waaaaay too early
I am a hockey fan but I lost interest in my team when they hired Mike Keenan to coach them and he distroyed the team, and they fired him way to late to salvage any of the good "old" players, but I will say this anyway even thou they are out of it.....GO BLUES!!!!
i was gonna say..where are the blue's..
I told you GIRTS. I knew you should have put st louis instead of san jose.
Go Seattle Sonics!!!
:huh:
Well I am going to go outside the box and take New Jersey.

No, it's not listed, and yes they are already down 2 games.

But I have balls!

(btw my ECHL Las Vegas Wranglers are also in their playoffs! I pick them to take the West but anyone who knows ECHL knows the East will kick us hard in the Kelly Cup finals,)

Beastie
GL beast. I dont think jersey has the offence to beat philly, and they deffinatley dont have the size. They do have that 700 pound line.
interesting. . toronto has the most votes of 4. . .how many *torontoians are there again? :P oh and I don't think Vancouver will take it all. . but I voted for 'em anyways 'cause I don't keep track of the sport enough to care.

*One who lives in Toronto (ya the word is a fake, so what? wanna fight about it?!)
what is a stanley cup is it when you skate or something? nvr heard......
it's this protective plate you put over your privates in case somone jabs you in the nuts with their hocley stick. except it's made by Stanley Tools, and thus is the strongest, most pain repellant cup Ever! Only the best hocley players can wear it.
hmm i live in nevada in the "usa" and i have heard that word before "stanly cup" but honestly i didnt now what it was till this forum post but give me a break i live in deasert we worry about offroad sports and stuff.
gotta be loyal... lets go flyers!
Hell yeah! I Bleed Orange and Black!*

*Please just take my word for it.
Ahem, New Jersey are the defending champs... I wouldn't rule them out just because philly has the offense and size.

Come on people... Stanley Cup is a hugeass silver trophy that has the engravings of every previous winning team (all the players are engraved, so you can imagine it's quite large). In fact, it kinda looks like a layered wedding cake but with a cup on top (that he champs drink champagne out of). It has gotten so large that they had to remove the bottom layer (the first ever removed) and put it in the hall of fame.
Last year means nothing. A few years ago buffalo beat the leafs to go on to the finals and they lost, the next year they didnt make the playoffs. Try telling that to Anihiem last year or carolina the year before. Calgary has been playing really well and they didnt make the playoffs last year.
It means something when you have Martin Brodeur and the team made the playoffs. Talking about anaheim, buffalo, carolina, those teams all sucked the next year after their run (and didn't actually WIN it). Last year does mean something to the devils because they are still damn good and again, have the best goalie in the league. Not to mention they are perenially in contention, whereas the teams you've mentioned are not. How many have the devils won the past several years? Three? They're like the Lakers... if they make the playoffs, don't count them out just because there is a new powerhouse team that seems to be ahead of them.
Everyone got stronger around them. The power houses are bigger power houses. So far broduer hasn't won me over as best goalie in the league. You look at the additions that colorado, detroit, boston, toronto and philly have made, you know they just got stronger. And when you look what new jersey did...
its easy for you jokers to take stabs at New Jersey while they are down in the series. Wait until they do overcome and then G and I will triumph!

btw, the Stanley Cup Trophy has more history behind it than any other trophy in sports. Did you know that each member of the winning team can actually take the cup with them for a week during the year after their victory? There are 5 dudes whos whole job (full time and well paying, mind you) is to guard and travel with the cup. So if my team wins the cup, I can sign it out over Easter, take it home (with my Cup Guard, of course), show it off, sip Jaegemeister from it, use it to garden, toss quarters into it... Whatever I want to do so long as it doesnt actually damage it or its engravings! It is a pretty amazing legacy.

Go Devils!

Later all,
Beastie
it wound up in a river at one point after a hard night of partying. wow I would have loved to be hanging with thous guys that night, must have had a good time :thumb:
Did you know that Lord Stanley payed a whopping 50 bux to have the cup made? I've seen the original one (which is in an air tight ompartment to prevent more deterioration) and both of the current cups. they have 2. one for special occasions, and the real one. there is no difference, its just a "just in case" thing. The Hockey hall of fame is in toronto btw, it's really cool, ive been there a couple times.

Might i add, Esche is kicking some serious ass. He has stepped up to the plate, and Brodeur's confidence is shaken, badly. Without their heart (scott stevens) I don't think the Devils have what it takes.
Go philly.:D... much agreed, without Stevens the devils are still needing another great leader, which they could find...just probably not early enough to beat my team. I must say, I'm very suprised how nashville is even hanging in there. I would have expected them to get stomped upon by detroit.
Well every year there seems to be an upset. San jose on St. Louis a few years back when (Nolan I think) scored from center ice on the last game. The leafs sweeping the sens (Everyone but my brother and sister thought the leafs would lose). Last year with detroits 1st round loss in 4. The reason I love the playoffs is that anything can happen. Needless to say I will have a lot more respect for NJ if they can pull off a comeback.
next year....
Go sens! lol
now whos going to vote for philly?
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! did you guys see that!?!?!? THAT WAS INSANE!!!! i mean wow... just wow.... i have to say that was an equally amazing game.... nice job FLYERS!!! and good job leafs...... To future games:D