Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like Chucking Discs?
Hey, remember me?

I have been chucking far more frisbees than people would think, but they have been offline and at poles with baskets on them, not opponents.

I have brought up Disc Golf in game play and few seem to even know what it is. I feel it is my duty to enlighten you all as to what disc golf offers. It is easy, cheap, good excersize, and a great way to meet people.

WHAT IS IT?

Disc golf is a sport that while growing internationally, is still relatively unknown to most of the general mainstream. It has been around for decades, and today has a pro tour, national and world championships, and yet can be played by just about anyone. I say it is easy above. I guess I should qualify that; it is easy to learn. To master? Not so much.

Tee off from a concrete slab and throw toward your target, which is a freestanding pole about 5 feet tall. Around the pole about half way up is a metal basket about 3 feet in diameter. Chains hang down from the top of the pole into the basket, so if you hit the chains, the disc will fall right in. Holes range from 200 or so feet as long as 500 in distance. You have to land the disc IN the basket to count. Underneath requires you to place it in, counting an additional 'throw'.

Par depends on how you play. Most serious disc golfers just play all holes to be par 3. Where I play, it lists pars for ameteur and pro levels separately. I am currently averaging most holes at about 4.25 throws each. I play with guys who commonly hole 2's and 3's the whole way through the course.

WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAY?

Discs used for disc golf are not the standard frisbees you throw around at bbq's. They are a bit smaller and can be kind of sharp at the edges. You don't want to catch these golf discs, you just may hurt your hand (or face).

Golf discs vary in make, build, etc. A driver disc is made for distance. A putter is deeper and floppier, meant to drop into the basket with no regard for wind, etc. Many players take up to a dozen different discs onto the course. Others will just use 1 for all purposes, putting, driving, everything.

Discs are as cheap as $6 and can range up to $20. There are of course some special and limited edition pieces that go significantly higher, but for most players, that is not a concern. The high end ($15-20) discs are priced as such for their material. They will resist dings and nics that hitting trees, concrete, etc will leave on the less expensive models. A beat up disc may have more resistance and cost a player distance.

That's about it, after buying/borrowing your disc(s), play is pretty easy. There is no cost to using most courses. If you prefer to bring a beverage or 2, that's an option. Nothing else is required to play.

WHERE CAN I PLAY?

Courses are all over the place, in large cities and in small towns. Some go clear through forests and along lake sides.

We have 4 courses here in Vegas. 3 of them are in public parks. The other is in a provate neighborhood, and only residents are allowed. ((yes, I have been kicked out)) As I stated before, most courses are free for general use. You can see the park staff or websites for scheduled leages, tournaments, etc.

You can also see www.pdga.com for a listing of the courses in your area. It will also give information about the sport in general, far more in detail than I can give here.

Other resourses include The Innova Website and Ken Climo's Homepage. Ken Climo is a multiple time world champion. He offers some beginners tips, etc.

So if you do play, tell me about your game. Are you a pro, who can shoot 2's regularily? Ever had an ace?

I hope this will offer some of you the chance to at least go try it once or twice. I am addicted and go 3 or 4 times a week. I even run out some of the holes, making it really great for my body and health. I know some of you are in front of your computers for 12 hours a day, so this might be a fun way to get off the buns a little bit!

Hope you are all well.

Beastie
:wub:Hi Beastie, miss you welcome back

lots of the parks here have the baskets for frisbee golf. Not real sure my aim it good enough
There are no such courses where i live, that i know of anyways. I've never even heard of disc golf.. maybe my city is behind the times?
we use to play that when I was a kid, we would mark out trees in the park and keep track of the throws it took to hit them. fun times :thumb: they talked about making a field and part of the park here a disc golf course but so far they havent started on it. <_<