Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Started You To Play Ricochet
Well what started me was when i was like 12 or 13 i got this computer for christmas thast what i asked for.

And i played cs at my god brothers house like hte old 1.1 version. But i downloaded and bought counter-strike retail at staples than i installed it.

My video card was a 32 meg card and i co uldnt support cs period. if i played in the software version it would just freeze. This happened to all my half life mod related games. Until I saw this ricochet and It supported software and it ran just fine. So i started to play ricochet. 2 years later i buy me a brand new computer with a geforce 4 mx 440 sucky card but it supports open gl for cs at 60-70 fps. So now i play open gl but i was playin software riccohet for hours and hours and hours cuz i had no other game to play.:)And Now The Wind BLows...:)
My brother explores mods constantly, to the point where have no hd space left, lol. Well of course he tried it, and one day I caught sight of it, and he said I had to play it. I really did not like it at first, coming straight from a cs background. Then I saw him playing against some decent people, possibly knightmare, and frito. I was a bit intrigued, besides something about a duel that interests me. Anyway my freakish tactical self took a quick fondness to rc_arena, and here I am.
Started off playing CS and Half-life DM with 3 other people in my C++ programming class. The computers were set up so there were two rows of computers with half-life and two rows Quake. We played everyday when we got done with our projects.

Since I liked HLDM I went out and bought the gold pack or something, it came with every game. I started playing HLDM, then played a bit of cs all for a month. I was on 56k though. Anyway I saw in custom games, ricochet, so I said what the heck and loaded it. First map was rc_deathmatch2. First server I was constantly on was Severeds "The Place for Fun". Don't remember who I first played, obviously XvSeveredvX since it was a listen server, I was on as "Mr. Miagi", but I thought it was a nice break from hldm and cs. Met the CAKES there and dedicated some time to master the wha. I think I liked it because it was always the same people on the server. Also met DL, troublgrl, yoshi, el kabong, julz, and once in awhile saw Beebs there.

Heh, I do remember the first time I got kicked from a server, think it was GRITS :P, it was because there was a tournament match and the time was announced through a csay or something. Don't remember if it was counting down or not.
<@Miagi> !8 Am I spamming?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Yes.
<@Miagi> !8 Should I stop?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!

For the longest time I was stuck with single player/low bandwidth online games because of my 56k connection. Since beta 7 up until 1.3 I played CS, but when they released 1.3 (or was it 1.5? Whichever one came with Ricochet) I started lagging like crazy, I saw ricochet came with the new patch, and tried it out, I loved it and people that know me from long ago know that I actually wasn't that bad even with my consistent 250 ping. Once I got DSL I started playing CS 1.5 and got much better at Ricochet.

Ricochet actually wasn't that bad on 56k, you just had to adjust your timing because there's a small delay on the disks, I had no packetloss so that's the only problem I had. Funny, it actually took me some time getting used to the broadband connection and almost instant disk shots.

edit:

Quote:I was a bit intrigued, besides something about a duel that interests me. Anyway my freakish tactical self took a quick fondness to rc_arena, and here I am.

Hell yeah, I love arena because it's man to man, a duel, completely symetrical, meaning that usually, the more skilled person wins (or very lucky since it's such a small, fast paced map). I really do wish someone would make a good map like arena that has as many jumps and takes as much time to master, and is also fast paced. The only other map I like in ricochet is user2, but it's not really fast paced, you just need really good timing with disks.

edit2: lol I just gotta share this. My first RC server was the 24/7 user2 server, in the name it said "DECAP ONLY", for like two weeks I played with push disks only, I didn't even know what "decap" was, didn't know about right click. Well, once someone told me and I started using it, I just really loved it, that server/map made me fall in love with decap.
ummm my friend bought cs retail and i was gonna buy it too but his computer wouldn't support cs so he sold it to me (for cheaper than the store of course).. anywho I installed it and then played a little bit of cs at first but then i wanted to try some of the other mods shortly after i got the game. I tried ricochet and kept playing it instead of cs blaha!
Quote:really do wish someone would make a good map like arena that has as many jumps and takes as much time to master, and is also fast paced.

easier said than done:). Arena is almost the perfect map...i spent my entire junior year 2nd period math class trying to map out another arena. Me an wha have agreed that it needs to be geometrically sound...but ive tried to come up with another pattern of discs that has as many outlets as arena does...think about it...from any platform you can get to any other platform in 2 jumps or less and there are multiple ways to do it. the combinations are amazing. I dont even think the maker of the arena map realized the potential his map had. You cant have anything too big otherwise you get running around wars (arena2 anyone?) and i hate multilevel arena maps since jumping up is a HUGE disadvantage. one more problem i have with mapping for ricochet is the arrows...I have NO IDEA how to make as perfect arrows as the ones in arena...the textures are all on right, the jumps are now the standard time and speed and are hard to reproduce (even after i decompiled and look at where the placement and properties of the jump. another problem is bumpers, im not skilled enough to make angled bumpers (although i am getting better with rc_2v2 and the multi level bumpers, but go play 2v2a and youll see just how bad i am at it D: ). Blah..enough of what i have no power to do right now anyway.

I heard that ricochet was included in the 1.5 patch, didn´t bother with it until i saw the review by PHL. I figured it was just another shoot em up game but when i saw the review i was intrigued by the completly different look. I started playing dm2 and thought i made the biggest mistake of my life but then tried the arena map and was hooked. Anyone remember [RECTUM] ? haha i know PIX does:). I also love the feeling of man vs man and how its a duel. I just wish i could convince GRITS to have a DECAP ONLY plugin (no i dont have one made yet but im sure it wouldn´t be that hard to comment out primary attack or try to convince evil to make it a cvar:)damn i wish i knew c++)
My boy asked me to stop by this gaming place after we got out of the movies one day,and they were running CS and we fell in love with it, we left the gaming place and went and bought CS at walmart, 2 copys because we wanted to be able to play each other on lan. I did that for awhile and tried online and I SUCKED at it, so I started playing HLDM for awhile, and then the rico patch came out. as soon as it was done DLing I was on playing,(poorly) but I was playing none the less.
I wanted in [CAKE] :blsh:
Quote:I just wish i could convince GRITS to have a DECAP ONLY plugin (no i dont have one made yet but im sure it wouldn´t be that hard to comment out primary attack or try to convince evil to make it a cvar  damn i wish i knew c++)

I could see having a decap only tournament that would be fun....but I am a push disk addict...I love the "feel". I think it would be an easy plugin for evil_admin, his HLDM server has a tau that cant shoot through walls, so I know he has it in him....now to convince him to find the time to make it.....that is a completely different problem