Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ricochet Jumping Styles
Well I got really bored and made up this classification system. Tell me what you guys think.

There are alot of different styles out there. But they all seem to come back to five basic jumping styles.
  • Pattern Jumping<>
  • Middle Jumping<>
  • Outside Jumping<>
  • Stall Jumping<>
  • Linear Jumping<>
    [st]Pattern Jumping - Of course this name (and all the others) are self-explanatory. Anyways this is where you pretty much jump everywhere, but you tend to jump in a set pattern (its hard to break). It could be a very BIG pattern or a small one. Technically the other four styles are derivatives of this style, but since people do stuff in this style that they don't do in the other four it can be it's own style. The best way to counter this apperently random assortment of jumps is to predict where they are going next.

Middle Jumping - People who use this style tend to jump around the middle. It can be really hard to hit people in the middle cause you go up and down really fast. This isn't a very complex style but it can tend to be hard to time your jumps so you always land on an arrow. Some strategies on defeating people who use this style are to actually try middle jumping yourself, you may bump him or cause him to jump away if he gets scared off. A good practicer of this style will just kill you if you use this though. The best way to counter this style is to use the Outside Jumping style and stay away from them so you can see where the shots are coming from.

Outside Jumping - This style incorporates the ouside of the arena grid where you jump from corner to corner or from corner to middle pad behind the bar. This is probably the least used style though. Personally I've only seen it used to counter the Middle Jumping style. Countering this style is pretty easy though since the jumps used in this style are usually long and take awhile to land and can be easily anticipated. I recommend the Pattern Jumping style and jump so that you are waiting for them and kill them when they land.

Stall Jumping - This style is usually practiced on the middle pad behind the bar, but can be expanded to any pad in the arena. It is basically just jumping and landing on the same pad or same arrow that you were on. This style makes it really hard to hit the person since they have ALOT of time to dodge any incoming discs. The best way to fight this style is to use any style that gets you close to them. It increases your chances of hitting them, but also makes it easier for them to hit you. All in all this style is the hardest to combat, but can be pretty slow in delivering kills for you.

Linear Jumping - The last style of jumping is used primarily by newbs, but I've personally taken this style under my wing and am in the process of making it a cooler style. This style is where you don't strafe at all and let the arrows take you to whatever pad they were intended to take you to. Things like bouncing between arrows is ok since you aren't changing direction, just slowing your jump down. This is probably the hardest style to master since it is so easy to get killed if you pattern up too much. The one upside to this style, is that people tend to start using this style when it is used. This style is good for combatting this style. So if you are better at doing this then you would win. The best way to combat this style is to resist the temptation to start linear jumping yourself and stick to your style and hope their aim isn't good enough to kill you. Hitting them shouldn't be a problem.
Nice :thumb:
Very accurate, and I have to say that I frequently use all five styles.
You want me to put this in the &quot;how to play&quot; part of the forums? it reads really well
wow punky! Nice job....I'd say we should have noxi's pic of the jumps plus what kermit has planned...and of course this all in the guide to rico section! :thumb:
I use all of those except for linear jumping. And of course I like to think I don't really have a pattern, but I have patterns. I just use a different pattern depending on who I play and what I feel like doing or what works best. Also maybe add &quot;No Jumping&quot; like I often do either in the middle or the outside middle pads... that is, just standing on the pad, moving to avoid shots and shooting whomever gets near you. Of course, when this is combined with either stalling (a la Darkson or moi) or middle jumping (I think only I do this, although Jariel had a similar style), it can be either really hard to just a pain in the ass. I know there are a lot of players who get ticked at my ricochet camping.
i guess i would have to be an outside/pattern jumper
not too much pattern but i guess there could be some,
GOOD JOB PG!!:thumb:
I'd say put it in there... and I do use all six techniques, which does includes g-boy's no-jump technique - very useful sometimes when people expect you to move... though most seasoned players are more likely to decap ya... :/
GRITS,Jun 23 2003, 04:29 PM Wrote:You want me to put this in the &quot;how to play&quot; part of the forums? it reads really well
I don't mind if you put it there, I just wanted some feedback on my idea up there. Didn't want to go posting that into the strategy guide and it being total bullshit
It's definately not bullshit:)
my jumping style is this -run at arrows on side of pad to jump, jump, fly thru the air for a bit, come really close to the other pad, bump my head, and plummit to my death.
oh yeah we can just leave it for asm to add to the strat guide better idea
ylol, i like you style Frito!! :thumb:
i wish i could do that style as good as you :D
i will add this to the strat guide w/ full credit to pG of course...thanx

hey, with all the stuff i've been getting, i may be acting more as an editor/currator than an author which is just dandy w/ me. gj
I always feel that I tend to not jump in order to provoke a reaction from my opponent, but jump in a way, as a reaction to what my opponent just did. I notice I tend to do the same things and jump in the same way when my opponent is doing such and such, but also, I tend to assume that he expects me to do a certain jump when I'm going my second time through, and just do some other random thing...

And then....when he thinks that I'm trying to expect him to know that I'm trying to trick him...I just do a 3rd set of random jumps...or the original jump if that's what he doesn't expect

Yes, I'm not getting this either :lol:

But nice points, Punkgirl
It made perfect sense to me... your crazy and that's why your so good.:)
How has rear jumping failed to make the list? I'd almost say I fight more of these than anything else. As an avid middle jumper, I find the most common counter-style is for people to hug the three rear pads, only occassionally moving to the middle to move to the other side of the arena, and resume sticking to the rear pads.
That's actually a mixture of techniques already listed... :-D
heh, right now i'm trying to devlope an improvisation skill in deathmatch1. Works well because the nubs have no idea where it came from and the experianced players can learn to counter it in a point or two so i just bring in another move and hopefully i'm not a patter jumper, bit heavy on stalls in arena though. Anyway good work, i havn't played in so long pg were gonna have to play soon.
1 style ive been working on and has been helping is if youre blue try to stay on the blue pads because it is easier to see the red discs coming your way

i probably shouldnt have posted this:bh: but its all for fun:thumb:
[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Jul 1 2003, 07:40 PM] heh, right now i'm trying to devlope an improvisation skill in deathmatch1. Works well because the nubs have no idea where it came from and the experianced players can learn to counter it in a point or two so i just bring in another move and hopefully i'm not a patter jumper, bit heavy on stalls in arena though. Amyway good work, i havn't played in so long pg were gonna have to play soon.
And then I come along, right anon? ;-)
no, i passed you in the server standings 20 points ago :P
[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Jul 2 2003, 05:59 PM] no, i passed you in the server standings 20 points ago :P
You only get ahead, when you start first:POr I'm just letting you win .. *cough* honest *cough*
[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Jul 1 2003, 03:40 PM] Amyway good work, i havn't played in so long pg were gonna have to play soon.
well anon, if you want to play sometime, then how about a match between you and me^_^. I don't care if you want to play dm or arena, but i'm game (as long as its not dm2.... bleh...)
thats true, i prefer dm1 for matches (i'm better at it, i own netin everytime :P) anyways i'm on msn [email protected], talk to me whenever u want to do it.
Now that cracked me up ;-)
Long time since i been on forums so may as well post on every last topic of interest.
I believe there r 7 styles, the 6 forementioned and my style, u may try and put it into the other styles but it really isn't.
Round starts - ill stall on the back pad so im guarded (or ill just stand in the middle watching) and view how my opponent jumps. Then ill do some entirely random jumping - to see how the opponent reacts - there is no style to my random jumping i just choose the place it would be awkward for the opponent, ill fire afew shots to see how they try and dodge (or not try and dodge since my aim sucks entirely) then after viewin all this i'll decide on an appropriate style to counter the opponent - usually it involves mixtures of stalling, middle &quot;camping&quot; and another style which i think helps, which hasnt been mentioned, so that makes 8 styles.. the final style is what i'll call.. cat and mouse - chase the opponent around - they tend to turn around to fire at you and not watch where theyre going - hence they fall:)

So i guess the 7th style is random jumping (and it is random) and the 8th is Cat 'n' Mouse:)
[CAKE Wrote:anonymity,Jul 3 2003, 12:27 AM] thats true, i prefer dm1 for matches (i'm better at it, i own netin everytime :P) anyways i'm on msn [email protected], talk to me whenever u want to do it.
i'm [email protected] on msn
and punkgirl22885 on aim
Ok you know the best tactic that worked for me as a noob and still sort of does.....depends on the opponent...you know how noobs jump ...from one pad to the next straight on.....ok some players still play like that...I am trying to change up some...just need a little confidence...but if you head right for your opponent and chase them around the arena it can be pretty good tatic...I cant be 'lost' as easily as I use to be since I can make it around the barrier these days...but if people don't know it is my style it intimidates the hell out of them...it is a major adrenalin rush...you have to stay really close behind them or they have time to turn around on you and decap you...one particular player caught on to that really early in my 'chase'...sometimes they get so frustrated they just fall or miss a pad enevitably when one person gets in a good shot it is followed by a 'whew' because it was intense...oh yeah you should be firing while you chase...sometimes I forget...but the chase is fun anyhow...and you can always 'lose' me with one of those side pad to side pad jumps but I am practicing on that one too
I am all in it for the chase:D
I used to just let you come to the middle and rebound ya off the pad.... still works at times when I get you flustered ;-)