Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As if cockroaches couldn't get around as is
http://science.slashdot.org/science/05/07/...&tid=133&tid=14

Quote:William Robinson wrote to mention an entertaining Wired news article about vehicle meant for cockroaches. From the article: "Hertz has constructed a three-wheeled robotic vehicle that lets a Madagascan hissing cockroach navigate a room while perched atop a ping-pong ball. The ball works like a computer mouse's track ball. Where the roach moves on the ball, the vehicle moves in the room. Sensors on the bot can tell when it's going to hit something. It also has a semi-circle of LED lights facing the roach, so when it's about to hit an obstacle an LED will shine on the creature from the direction of the barrier, hopefully causing it to run in the other direction."

Man next thing you know, someone will build little cockroach controled tanks and then the cockroaches will start to take over the world, heck they have good start as it is now, they are on nearly every piece of land in the world.
People like to keep those hissing roaches as pets.....next is little tshirts to dress them up

This is a true story

I was working in a biology department with a professor that used a lot of P32 (which is radioactive phosphorus)
The radiation safety guys came through all the time to make sure he was using the right safety procedures and keeping his lab "clean"
One of the ways they checked was with a Geiger counter. The inspector ran the Geiger counter over the bench top and the reading pegged, he went and got the professor to show him that his lab bench was contaminated and needed cleaning but when he came back it would not make a reading above background on the Geiger counter. This confused the inspector, who then meticulously scanned the counter until he found the culprit; it was a small albino roach that was eating the pellet out of the bottom of a centrifuge tube that had the radioisotope in it.
strangest thing I ever saw, pure white roach. Will roaches survive a nuclear explosion???? They will thrive on it.
hehe ya, like they say the only 2 things to survive will be cockroaches and lawyers and I bet the lawyers will out last the cockroaches. lol

hehe two of my favorite quotes from slashdot from the comments on that article...

Quote:Let's teach some insects how to OPERATE MECHA! That seems like a good plan. Once we have the driving the little ones around we'll go ahead and give them the three story tall robots with weapons.

As if fighting off the cockroach hoardes isn't going to be tough enough in the future.

LOL

Quote:Well, I for one welcome our newly mobilized Cockroach overlords

ROFL!!