Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ricochet League
Since we seem to have tournaments coming out our ears.. and being a pain in the ass to manage.. How about a League?

Every player would face every player twice within the season, scoring would be similar to Football (English football obviously:P)
A win would constitute 3 points, a draw is 1 point and a loss is 0 points.. A league table would be drawn up, and updated with each match.
A match would last 15 minutes, to be played on the Arena touney map...
Screenshots would need to be provided to a League Administrator with both players confirming the Win/Defeat...

The matches would not be set in stone, like "first you must play such and such".. instead it'd be more free.. You could choose who you played an when, once a challenge is issued the the challenged has 14 days to reply and set a date for the match, if no reply is made the match will forfeit in the challenger's favour.. (Unless the opponent is on holiday or has a valid reason not to have replied)
Time of match, and server choice for match, are both up to the players - if an agreement cannot be made you both Draw and get 1 point each.
Rules are simple: be civillised towards each other... WINS is what counts, not POINTS... Additional rules can be added to specific matches if agreed upon by BOTH players.

Obviously it's just an idea atm... Comments?

Edit:: This would be a long running League, depending on how quickly you get all your matches played i'd presume a season to last roughly a year (knowing how slow some of you are, and how many players we may have interested)
Im interested.
ditto
Well first off, we've had something like this before. It was named PSL or Power-Shot League and it held players from different regions so that they could each play someone within their geographical sphere. PSL hosted such players as Davion, Gemakk, myself, Shakira, and many many more.

Second off, I think it's a fricking awesome idea.. personally I love football, basketball, tennis, soccer, and just about every other sport that's known to man. I love the idea that you get multiple chances to win/lose as opposed to having one shot to win it all or lose it all. Plus I also LOVE the idea of having ranked members so you know roughly where you stand amongst who.

Here's how I *think* it should work:

* We set up a signup list that allows anyone and everyone who is interested to sign up. In this signup they must put where they are from as well as what their time zone is and their typical schedule and contact information.

* Then create brackets in which players are broken down by their regions and if you have some regions where there are few players then maybe combine regions for players.

* From here you'll set up a pre-determined amount of time for which this League will last (IE - 12 matches, so you'd have to figure out how many days are allowed as a grace period per match.)

* Then you'll set it up kinda like the NFL, where you have conferences and divisions, but here you have regions. So you have it sorta like this...

Region A Region B Region C Region D
-------------------------------------------
Player 1 Player 1 Player 1 Player 1
Player 2 Player 2 Player 2 Player 2
Player 3 Player 3 Player 3 Player 3
Player 4 Player 4 Player 4 Player 4
Player 5 Player 5 Player 5 Player 5
Player 6 Player 6 Player 6 Player 6
Player 7 Player 7 Player 7 Player 7
Player 8 Player 8 Player 8 Player 8

So what you would do is have, like I said before, a determined number of matches in the season (you'd want to see how many players per region you have so you can create an even number of matches to correspond with them.) Then you would set it up to where the matches are inner region and you'll have basically the king of the region.

Then you could have playoffs where the top 2-4 from each region go on and play again in the playoffs. Now in the playoffs regions are no longer used as classification for divisioning. This could be like a single or double elimination setup, depending on your preference.

Then once you have your top 2.. they play for the championship and badda boom badda bing, season 1 of the Killer Frisbee Club League is in the books (hosted by KFC of course!). :-D

- You'd need a website that stays up to date with stats and rankings for inner regional players.
- I think this could be really fun.. I'm getting all geeked out with just planning it!!!
I'm honestly not so excited because last time someone tried opening a ricochet league there were more active players than there are now, and it was pretty much a disaster because we couldn't even come up with something like 24 people(?).

We had an awesome webpage for it with good hosting and everything, so sad:(
Well lets see how many people sign up first because so far ive got this league :upto:lol. :lol::lol:
Well cloudy.. looks like one of our League Administrators has presented himself huh?:P

And acid i think there'd be enough players for it.. i mean we need... 16 ? for 4 divisions, the top 1 of each division could go onto the "playoffs" as Cloudy said, Would just be like a semi-finals round.. in which the winners go on to the final match..
Obviously it'd be better with 24, 32, 64 players etc.. but it's doable and would be fun with just 16.. any less and we'd have a problem though.. lol

meh...:o
I will support you the best that I am able. Good Luck, let me know what you need from me
need: a picture. :-D
Well if you have the time to set it up, what do you need? Can you, GRITS, provide webspace? Do you have that covered already Frooty? Other than that, we need people willing to do this. I'm making a poll.
Ill help where I can!
I think having managers of the regions would be helpful..^_^
vote you lazy ***I'm Awesome for Swearing***s

http://www.vadavaka.com/forums/index.php?a...=ST&f=26&t=4764
Why even bother with a league? We all know organized leagues here NEVER work out. We always fall behind so why should the people that actually DO participate in matches have to wait for the people who dont feel like putting in any effort whatsoever even though they signed up and said they would?

Why dont you just use the forum. Have another board setup for the "league" Have one person in charge of ranking. Basically do it how Frooty first said too. Wins worth 3, draw 1, lose 0. You get a list of people on one thread listing them in order. You cant challenge anyone outside half your rank (eg: player ranked at 10 cant challenge player ranked at 4 but can challenge rank 5). Or have a certain number like 5 ranks is the cutoff. You have to wait 2-3 days before you can challenge someone again. This prevents people who have 24 hours of their day to waste, and lets people who dont have that much time to still keep up. Challenges cannot be declined, and you have about 2 days to reply, like Frooty said.

I was in a Total Annihilation ladder like this and its so flexible that the players who aren't as dedicated dont hold up everyone (like we all know a bracket does).

Just an idea.
Looks like an even better idea to me, since I doubt a league would happen:)
if there are any euro vs euro amtches I think the JW server could be used sicne they provide a better ping
Pique,Sep 15 2005, 03:39 PM Wrote:Why even bother with a league? We all know organized leagues here NEVER work out. We always fall behind so why should the people that actually DO participate in matches have to wait for the people who dont feel like putting in any effort whatsoever even though they signed up and said they would?

Why dont you just use the forum. Have another board setup for the "league" Have one person in charge of ranking. Basically do it how Frooty first said too. Wins worth 3, draw 1, lose 0. You get a list of people on one thread listing them in order. You cant challenge anyone outside half your rank (eg: player ranked at 10 cant challenge player ranked at 4 but can challenge rank 5). Or have a certain number like 5 ranks is the cutoff. You have to wait 2-3 days before you can challenge someone again. This prevents people who have 24 hours of their day to waste, and lets people who dont have that much time to still keep up. Challenges cannot be declined, and you have about 2 days to reply, like Frooty said.

I was in a Total Annihilation ladder like this and its so flexible that the players who aren't as dedicated dont hold up everyone (like we all know a bracket does).

Just an idea.
Yeh i know people are slow and can't be arsed to play sometimes.. that is why i said the Opponent has a set time limit in which to reply - else they forfeit.. and also the "Each player will play every other player TWICE" stops people picking on the ones that never play to gain score..
my original plan was to just have league tables in order of "points" (3 for a win, 1 for a draw etc) and not have any Playoffs, so there was no holding up..

Anyway, BLEH...
And no i don't have any webspace in mind, nor people to help. I was kinda just the idea guy - i'm not usually very good at managing things.. i'll help where i can though:P
This is what I sent to GRITS| over mIRC... it's not edited.. so enjoy.

<CloudFuel> I want it, if it's not like pique's idea, to be like this.
<CloudFuel> almost like football
<CloudFuel> I would also like a committee that has admins and players who are vital to the success of the league
<CloudFuel> so have someone in charge of the website/hosting
<CloudFuel> someone in charge of tallying all of the ranks and whatnot
<CloudFuel> someone in charge of disciplinary actions - ie ref
<CloudFuel> someone in charge of all emails and contacts, a liason if you will with the league members
<CloudFuel> and whatever else you think we need
<CloudFuel> First thing is to have as MANY people that are interested sign up as we can
<CloudFuel> say we get... 27 players in all
<CloudFuel> we have all of their info from them.. ie - email address, aim sn, best availability times, playing name, current clan (if any), time zone, and world location
<CloudFuel> Then we all decide how we would like to categorize the players
<CloudFuel> I suggested the whole "region" concept
<CloudFuel> I say region because it'll
<CloudFuel> A) be like soccer where you have region setups
<CloudFuel> B) you can have players host their own matches and have somewhat decent if not AWESOME ping ratios.
<CloudFuel> So let's say we have 27 players.. that really sucks because it's not an even number, but we'll make it work.
<CloudFuel> so with 27 players.. let's say 19 are from the US and 8 from Europe
<CloudFuel> then we break down the US players, because Europe already has a good solid number at 8
<CloudFuel> say 12 are from the western US
<CloudFuel> and 7 are from Eastern US
<CloudFuel> so we might break the west into 6/6
<CloudFuel> leave the east at 7
<CloudFuel> and have europe be 8
<CloudFuel> so now we have west US, midwest US, east US, and Europe respectively
<CloudFuel> 4 regions, holding no more than 8 players a piece and no less than 6, for a total of 27 in all
<CloudFuel> now we have to decide... how many matches do we want to have.. and how long do we want to give the players to have each match?
<CloudFuel> we'd have to be extremely strict
<CloudFuel> in that.. if you don't play your match by the said day, it's a forfeit
<CloudFuel> no.. well we'll extend it.. nothing... that's not fair to the players who played on time.
<CloudFuel> as far as forfeits go.. if one player is actively trying to make something happen and the other player is not.. then we can award the player who was trying an FW or forfeit WIN
<CloudFuel> and the player who was not trying gets an FL or forfeit loss
<CloudFuel> as far as scoring goes.. we could do a lot of things
<CloudFuel> or we could not do scoring at all
<CloudFuel> we could do like NFL with Win-Loss-Tie columns
<CloudFuel> or do a score for each win, loss, tie, forfeit win, and forfeit loss
<CloudFuel> or do both
<CloudFuel> that's something we'd have to decide on
<CloudFuel> but back to the amount of mathces we'd do
<CloudFuel> say we want to give them a whole week to do their matches
<CloudFuel> that's 7 days.
<CloudFuel> so then we say ok we want this to run for 10 weeks
<CloudFuel> that's then 10 matches in all to be played
<CloudFuel> perfection would be 10 - 0 - 0
<CloudFuel> granted we have to take into consideration if someone gets a ton of forfeit wins, then he/she may not be as deserving as someone who straight up won.. thus why scoring could seriously help
<CloudFuel> ok so 10 matches for the regular season.
<CloudFuel> Now I was thinking we do ONLY inner region matches
<CloudFuel> that would be another topic to discuss
<CloudFuel> if we do ONLY inner region
<CloudFuel> then that means we have the following
<CloudFuel> week 1 - region US west -
<CloudFuel> players 1 - 6 play 1 match a piece
<CloudFuel> and as far as choosing who plays who.. I'd say just number them 1 - 6 and pick numbers out of a hat.. or do a randomizer.. anything
<CloudFuel> I do NOT want to depict fights... like Acid vs. gemakk
<CloudFuel> or anything like that
<CloudFuel> no fight picking at all for me
<CloudFuel> ok so we do this for all of the regions
<CloudFuel> now week 1 is finished
<CloudFuel> hopefully we had no forfeits
<CloudFuel> if we do.. that makes things annoying
<CloudFuel> so let's say we do.. then if we're going along with the scoring (point based) and breakdown (win-loss-tie) methods
<CloudFuel> we can give the play who had a forfeit win a certain amount of points and put a 1 in the win column
<CloudFuel> at the end of the season we take the top 3 from each region
<CloudFuel> or some determined number
<CloudFuel> and then they go onto the playoffs
<CloudFuel> where we can either do it NFL style where we have each region play its people for the region winner
<CloudFuel> and then each regional winner plays each other for the title
<CloudFuel> or do a free for all
<CloudFuel> where we just randomly create battles with no subjectiveness included
<CloudFuel> once again.. another topic to discuss
<CloudFuel> then we move to our playoffs
<CloudFuel> so back to our 27 players rule
<CloudFuel> we have 6, 6, 7, and 8 for our regions
<CloudFuel> we take the top 2 I guess from each region
<CloudFuel> and we determine this by one or two things
<CloudFuel> either overall standings (ie win-loss-tie)
<CloudFuel> overall score (where each win, loss, tie, forfeit win, and forfeit loss give you X amount of points)
<CloudFuel> or a combo of both
<CloudFuel> and then like I said before.. we can either have each region play out til there's a winner.. or throw all of the players into the mix for a tourney style playoffs.
<CloudFuel> We could choose single or double elimination... another topic to discuss.
<CloudFuel> Then they play til we have a winner.
<CloudFuel> As far as ranking goes:
<CloudFuel> I would think we would have ranks only based per region
<CloudFuel> but if you want we could do it across the board.. though it wouldn't really reflect accurate standings until later in the season
<CloudFuel> the reason for this is pretty obvious... certain players may be playing only easier players right off the bat while others are not.. and so on.
<CloudFuel> Problems that could occur:
<CloudFuel> by doing it region-wise... or really having any seperation in brackets.
<CloudFuel> we may run into the problem of say the US WEST having better players that the US EAST or visa versa or something else all together.
<CloudFuel> and since we're taking the top 2 from each region or bracket.
<CloudFuel> maybe some players get left out that deserved to be in the playoffs
<CloudFuel> this problem happens sometimes in football as well
<CloudFuel> a team is better in the AFC than a team in the NFC
<CloudFuel> but there are better teams in the AFC than said team
<CloudFuel> so said team does not make playoffs
<CloudFuel> while lesser teams in the NFC do make it
<CloudFuel> but in the end.. the winner is still the same
<CloudFuel> so minus those who care about meaningless ranks... the outcome is the only important issue here.
<CloudFuel> and that's pretty much it.

Obviously there is a lot of push and pull room... a lot of floor open for ideas. I am not completely opposed to pique's idea either. I like the whole concept of being able to CHOOSE when you want to move up and all the pressure is created by yourself and no one else. Either one... I'm not too partial to either, but I'd like to see something started though. I'm obviously interested in being a part of creation/running of this league.. and I guess it's just a matter of seeing who else would like to do so as well as who all would be interested in joining the league.

Acid posted a link in this forum for the poll he has started., but I think a link on both of vad's servers, the J|W server, and the DTC server, as well as on the mIRC channels would also help quite a bit. This gives us an idea of what we're looking at.. I say if we get anything less than 20, then it's not worth it, but that's just me. :thumb:
personally i like my ideas best:Pthe original one i posted ;o
don't like the idea of regions, makes it messy and stops the regions mixing.. like i'd rather play some of you Yanks than some of the Euros.. easier points:P
not too sure on the idea of playoffs either.. makes it more like a tournament... i suggested it as a league.. upon reading all my posts and other posts it's clearer and easier to just define it as a simple league, with a league table - no seperating off to regions, just a fair table ordered by points.
I think you're making it more complicated than it has to be Cloud:PGood intentions and idea's ... but it's taking away the league aspect.. you're turning it more into a FIFA World Cup event.. (which is a tournament:P)

A table with players name's who sign up.. players choose their matches but can only play the opponent a maximum of twice (home, away.. ie if ones a yank and ones a euro, 1 match played on GRITS and the other match played on JW). Challenger's must challenge the opponent and the opponent has a set time period in which to reply, if no reply is made then the opponent forfeits.. the opponent MUST agree to play the match - but the date can be set as far as 60 days in advance (to give time for training etc).. other matches may be played in between..

Like i originally said - i want this to be a long standing League, not one you all hurry to finish.. i want pace but i don't want pressure on everyone to finish all their matches in 4 weeks..

if any of you ever played on clanbase.. i want that sort of league - it was very open.. but i want to place some restrictions cause certain fuctions were abused:P
ah ok.. well nm then.. my bad.
CloudFuel,Sep 15 2005, 07:44 PM Wrote:ah ok.. well nm then.. my bad.
not bad Mr Cloud... just slightly off topic:P
Quote:and also the "Each player will play every other player TWICE" stops people picking on the ones that never play to gain score..

You cant challenge down. Challenges can't be denied. You can only challenge someone again after youve played 2 other matches if lower than the top 5. Top5 and high can challenge anyone, but again, you cannot challenge down.

This is the most free flowing, flexible way of doing it. If someone forfeits its not that big of a deal. Eventually you will be high enough where people actually play often. This keeps the stragglers able to come back every now and then and set up a 1v1, while also letting the players that play often to keep on playing and competing. Say the ladder resets every 2-3 months or sooner or later...its all flexible.
I think the top 5 should be able to challenge down as far as the top 8.. else you're pretty limited on people you can play.. especially if you're rank 1:P
I do like your idea on how it'll work though, slight mod to my original:P
It can't be just the arena map, we should use all of them
Deatmatch
DM2
clockwise
atom
all your favorites