Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My review of The HULK (contains some spoiler)
I seen The Hulk today. Great movie, i'll be buying the DVD when it comes out... or at least once the superduper special addition comes out in 2 years (I won't buy the regular versions cause I'll want to buy the superduper version with all the extra stuff that was cut out added back in)

First my rant....

#1)

Get it in your skull movie theater people, don't play Vadka Cooler ads at 1pm in the afternoon with kids in the freaking audience. This was my biggest problem with the movie. I can see playing that ad at night around 9 or 10 pm when there should be no kids in the audience, but come on get a clue will ya. BTW this was reported to the manager (by me) and they said they will remove that ad.

#2)

If you are not a fan of kids (like me) I would suggest going at a later time in the day then the 1pm showing. Ya I know I asked for it going at that time but come on, do we really need a little kids talking in their regular voice saying "Is he dead? Is he dead? Is he dead?" a few times in a row and the parrents not saying a word to quiet them.

#3)

The kids (teens actually) behind me were very annoying. The one right behind me specifically. He kicked my seat a few times and put his feet up on the seat beside me. Then when its not even half way thought the movie, hes talking to his friend saying how bored he is and that they should leave. HOW ABOUT JUST LEAVING YOURSELF!!!! Don't like the movie but your friend is TOUGH. Go wait outside for him then.

Now for the review....

Stan Lee, the creator of the hulk, makes a guest appearence in the movie right near the start. Its not long, but it was nice to see him in there. If you don't know who Stan Lee is, get out from under the rock you are under.

Hes back.... hes green.... and boy is he pissed off!!!

I have seen the 70s cartoon, the 80s cartoon, the 80s tv movies and read some of the older comics. None of them gave me the satisfaction like the movie did as the hulk beat up a poor defenseless M1A2 Abrums Tank.

The story is mostly different then the other 3 Hulk shows that I mentioned above. He is still hit with gamma rays, but there is some other stuff added in for todays kids.

There are some boring parts mixed in with all the action, but all the action shots makes up for them. It was nice seeing the hulk the proper size he should be and able to toss around tanks and fly miles at a time with each jump.

The computer animation was top notch, thou I did see a few "errors". But even in movies with no computer animation you will see some errors so they really don't matter to me.

The acting was pretty good, but again I could a few bad spots.

The music was good, but I always kept expecting to hear the ending theme to the 80s TV movies (ya I know, i'm strange)

The ending of the movie was how can I say this without giving anything away.... the ending was a Hulk movie. Those that have seen the original hulk tv movies will know what I mean.

I give this movie a 9 out of 10. A very worth while see if you are like me and seen the original hulk stuff.

If you haven't then well I suggest seeing the movie anyway. :D

Above all... NEVER listen to what critics say. They get paid to go and watch movies (lucky buggers).

If you have even the slightest interest in seeing this movie then go see it. there are really only 3 things you will think...

A) Waste of time....
B) Good movie, i'll suggest it to friends....
C) DAMN COOL MOVIE...

Next week, watch for my review of T3: Rise of the Machines. Comes to theaters on Wednesday (thou I will be seeing it either next saturday or sunday)
Too much plot and character development the first hour, REALLY boring first hour, the rest of the movie was okay, I guess. Those big spandex that grow with him are hilarious though, two green thumbs up on that.
I'll say I didn't think it was particularly great. I mean, I definitely liked the scenes where he kicked souped-up-dog ass, and stuff like that... but first of all, the look of the hulk himself didn't seem all that impressive compared to other high-budget special effects movies. And the leaping and bounding looked so wrong... forget the fact that I'm a science buff and can scoff at things I see that totally defy everything, because in a movie about superhumans, I don't think about the science. However, just the movements for the jumps, and how fast he moved during the jump, just looked so weird and unrealistic. Obviously it's not meant to be very real, but when they put so much plot development into it as if they were trying to make it as realistic as possible, at least make him have to take more of a running start to the jumps, have them take longer... I dunno, am I the only person who is bothered by odd-looking movements in movies?
Also, a lot of the attempted sentimental stuff seemed overboard, and were only slightly humorous. I know I sound like a film critic, but usually I like these types of movies a lot more. Anyway, I won't say I wasted my money... like I said, there were scenes I liked, plenty of entertainment (it was a long movie, so cut out all the bad stuff and you still have like an hour full of action).
IMO would make more sense (and look more interesting) if Hulk would make a small crater every time he leaped three miles, heh.
Ok my turn...on GB's recommendation I went and saw the HULK.....
I enjoyed it ...the special FX and the 'love' story. On a personal note..... my dad was an officer in the military and I became a scientist, so that was sort of intriguing.....I too expected craters when the HULK jumped but still thought it was cool....
btw GB the security guard walking out with Stan Lee....that’s Lou Ferrigno he played the green part of the Hulk in the TV series staring Bill Bixby
It did seem a bit long to me but I still enjoyed it...just not as much as I did Matrix
two things to note.... at the end of the movie when the girl scientist is on the computer...look to the right on the desk....I have that same Fisher Scientific coffee cup with the chemical label on it :D
and that Zeiss microscope he has in the 60s NOT....they didn’t make the ergonomic head pieces back then...ok sorry I know I watch science movies with a different mind set than some people but I did put away the "logic" part of my brain so I could enjoy the fun part of the movie. I was just checking out the lab equipment a little.
Its a good summer movie
In my honest opinion I watch the shows read the comics THE HULK OUT FLAT SUCKED i hated it it had nothing with the comics nothing with the show JUST OUT FLAT STUPIDITY atleast spiderman went with the comics
Ya I found out that it was Lou after someone mentioned it over on the MekTek boards. I didn't even realize it till someone there mentioned it.

He looked alot different then I remembered him. Then again he was 25 or 30 when he did the hulk in the 80s. He was also a different skin color lol
I thought it was a great movie. Like many movies it was slow in some areas, but for the most part I appreciated the added character development. I loved it when the Hulk went just absolutely berserk in the lab. That is one powerful mofo. Great acting, and I really like those split-panes to give it the comic book feel. The CG was top-notch, but I agree that the Hulk should have been making more of an impact on the world when he jumped around.

Tied with Xmen2 for best movie I've seen in theater all year (although I'm pretty selective these days), and I'd give it an 8. Matrix is like a 6.5 (which isn't bad). I'm glad the Hulk went easy on the slow-mo, because Reloaded gave me enough to last a lifetime.

I hope they make a sequel, but sadly, based on the ticket sales I'm not sure if that will happen =( Hopefully it does better outside of NA.
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
i base a lot of my want to see a movie off of the reviews in the independent newspaper here in town, and boy, did they say it SUCKED. still, i haven't seen it, so i won't say i hate it. to be honest, it seems too much like a hollywood- big -budget-summer-action-flik kind of movie for me. I also work in an independent movie theater, and we never show movies like this. right now, we have a french film called "Man on the Train," which was excellent, and a german film called "Nowhere in Africa," which was also well done. if either is playing near you, i definitely recommend them both. as for the Hulk...i'm afraid if i never see it, i will be content with that. thus far, the only redeeming quality i see in the Hulk is Jennifer Connelly, who proved her acting magnificance in Requiem for a Dream, and her tolerance of david bowie in Labyrinth.
i did, however, thouroughly enjoy Xmen 2. comprehensive plot, decent acting from great actors, great special effects.

anywho, support your local independent movie theater. they likely need it, and deserve it.:thumb:
if someone who liked the Hulk goes to see "Man on the Train" or "Nowhere in Africa" and gives me their take on either one, i will gladly go see the Hulk for them. Fair deal, no?
Yes... Requiem for a Dream... now there's a good movie.
I saw Requiem for a Dream last week, VERY good movie. Not only does it get into drug addictions, but also addictions like beauty, food, I guess it's saying that habits can form into addictions, too. THAT'S an awesome movie I would recommend to anyone.
Yeah..that was a mad private party at the end.
indeed, great acting.
you realize that Jared Leto, the lead role in Requiem, was the pretty boy that Ed Norten beats ugly in Fight Club?
he really needs to do better roles.
i also watched The Excorcist yesterday...Ellyn Burstyn kicks ass in every movie i've seen her in :lol:
although the hulk isnt the key cause of it, i have announced my retirement from the "go see every movie that comes out because there is nothing else to do" club. Lord of the rings aside, I havent seen a good mainstream movie in roughly 2 years. And i dont mean something where you walk out of the theatre and go "that wasnt bad". I mean the kind of movie that your still thinking about a week later. The same people are writing the same crap over and over again and just feeding it to the public, who goes to see it in mass quantities, causing the movie to break records for unknown reasons *cough*matrix reloaded*cough*. These days it seems like people dont want to think, they want the whole plot handed to them in a nice neat package wrapped in glitter and cg effects, "no thought required" the card says on the outside. anywho, ive been renting/going to see as many independent movies as possible lately, and am finally finding movies that are different, and theyre not all badly funded people! Some of them have "budgets"! So, back to the point, i thought the hulk was a lot better than what i expected, but all i expected was a mind numbingly bad film, and all i got was an ok film that was WAY TOO LONG, seriously.
Nothing wrong with having and enjoying both types of movies, "thinking" and "mindless". When the semester starts, after 4-10 hours of sitting in class and studying I want something "mindless" and full of action. Probably the same reason I enjoy a game of CS or Rico after school. At other times I will feel like a movie that gets the thought process going.

Beer, women, food, movies it doesn't matter ... it's about variety and what appeals to the mood you're in.
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
i will probably see the hulk in the dollar theater...i don't know...i felt xmen2 and spiderman were decent but i wouldn't see them again. haven't seen matrix: reloaded yet, but i'll probably get the same feeling....exactly like the first one. i can't be "bought off" w/ fancy cg...i know holywood has money and good technology...i'm not impressed (solely) by that sort of thing.

the last good holywood movie i saw was "minority report" w/ tom cruise. it was exciting and sparked my imagination a bit.

i watch a lot ifc and sundance because they usually have some films that i like or find interesting. i don't share most people's opinion on requiem for a dream though...the only scene i liked was the seen pix is reffering too:D. i'm still chanting: "ass to ass!..ass to ass!...". i've seen better portrails of drug-addiction...i liked fear and loathing in las vegas w/ johnny depp...although, perhaps not "hard-hitting", it hit closer to home for some reason...and of course train spotting is awesome.
dude, read fear and loathing the book, its like the movie but 2x better.
will do...thanks.
don't get me wrong, fear and loathing was a great movie, but the intent was different. Requiem should be shown in every high school health class, since it has such a close-to-home message (excpeting the "ass-to-ass" part, though it might be taken positively). Fear and Loathing should not be shown in any school, for any reason, except perhaps acting class, cos johnny depp and benicio del toro perform very well; but it's intent is much different from requiem. sure, they're both about drugs and addiction, but at the end of Fear and Loathing, you would be much more likely to cruise the drug market anyway, as opposed to Requiem, where you simply want to DIE. high school kids need to know that feeling. ALL OF THEM. i don't think most people realize that idiot high school kids are, well, mind-numbingly STUPID, and don't know their ass from a tea kettle. they need guidance, and darren oronofsky is certainly my professor of choice ^_^.
Hey man, take it easy on the high-schoolers, we're not so bad... oh yeah, I'm out of high school... they're all morons! :D