Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
back to 'normal'
Hey All,

Ah yes, a great trip indeed! I had too much fun.

Anyway, while I have been extremely busy with my job and some other hobbies since returning, I assure you I am back and you will have an interview tomorrow night, late probably. It's a good one, too. B)

However for the time being, I will be a little less active in game. I came back to some really choppy lag, and it gives me a headache just to play. So I am cleaning my computer a bit and checking into the reasoning. Since I am an e-tard I have to go about it on recommendations from others, thus it will take some time. I will see you all on still every couple of days, but not quite as much as I had been playing. In addition to the lag, I am trying to get out and be a bit more active in the hot dessert summer sun.

I still havent worked my way through the last 2 weeks of forum posts, but will get there eventually.

Bottom line... good to be back, I will be around.

ALways,
Beastie
have you checked your rate in the console? i once found myself not able to play natural selection for a week because it decided to set itself to 200 instead of the normal 9999, making the game unplayable.
welcome back
Yeah rate does that, not sure why u might also want to check your ping and pings in onther games and servers, see if its there problem or yours. Also you might want to check with your internet service provider, i know when i had cable they're were always doing stuff to the servers and scewing with it. Hope you get it up.:thumb:
making progress on the lag... I finally realized that I have to go into safe mode to defragment. What did suprise me is that it will apparently take a total of about 20 hours to defrag my c drive. I started last night around 7 and its STILL under half way done. Thus you got no interview.
I will try and do it at work today, since it will be slow and I will be the only one there.

Heh, think I will try and defrag more often from now on, it's the first time ever ad the computer is 4 years old!!

Anyway, sorry about the delay and will see ya'll soon.

Beastie
Defragging is dangerous !!!

Phear the defrag!!
welcome back, and great interview beastie :thumb:
defrags are nice, but if you want to fix your comp you must submit to the awesome power of the reformat, just make sure you back everything up! i have a spare 20 gig for that, because i reformat every 3 months regulalry to make sure my perfromance is top, and to kill nasty little buggy critters.
Well anyway this is all starting to suck. While defragging has cleaned up a lot of random crap, the problem I am having with my HL is unrelated. Reformatting (chills) would also do the same, and leave me with this gfx/palette.lmp problem. It is somewhere within the 1.1.1.0 update. It did not happen to me back in June of last year when I updated, but I am not the only person with the problem. I found a couple of other forums where people have reported it. And either no one has solved it, or they simply drop it after doing so and haven't reported the solution.

I don't want to get cynical about it, but after a week I am on the brink of saying screw it. While I miss playing with you all, I have spent too much time reinstalling and jerking around my system with no results. I could probably go buy a new HL copy, but if I go spend a bunch of money on it and it still doesn't work I will feel like a real jackass. It's summer and I should probably go spend some time outside, anyway.

Anyway not to worry. Interviews will continue. I am still awaiting some final return information to get this week's up. I will have it up today if I receive it. And I already have the next couple planned, too.

I am still open to ideas if anyone has any. It's not my system, it's not my video card, and it's not my cd. So I don't know much about anything else.

Later,
Beastie
:(:bh:

somebody please fix Beastie so he can come back and play with us
Do I need to call him? ;)
Have you yelled at your ISP latly? :D I know when I start getting really laggy or choppy I yell at my ISP some and it seems to solve the problem lol
I"m scared of my ISP, I yelled at it once and it yelled back.
This is long since the lag problems, unfortunately. I can't even get into the game now. I can get to the menus and such, but as soon as I try and get into a server I get 'can not load gfx/palette.lmp'.

I thought I had a site that would help out, but it's just a whole lot of people like me with no answers.

Almost help Link

I am thinking it's pretty hopeless. Anyway... got work to do...
Wow, so I finally did it. I finally reformatted and guess what!

I still get the friggin error. So it's definitly not on my computer and it is in the HL program.

For now I give up. Sorry all.

Hope to play you all again someday. Until then I will remain active on the forums. If anyone hears anything about this hellish error, please let me know.

Beastie
The error occurs when the pak0.pak is damaged for one reason or another. Usually occurs with the CD-ROM and incorrect DMA settings.

It also occurs when a certain anti-virus is on the system.

when you update, some files will be changes, and some Antivirus programs may look at it as a virus activity and disallow the change.

So :
1- DISABLE your antivirus
2- Desinstall HL
3- set OFF your cdrom DMA propriety. (make it slower to be sure write the palette file)

4- you may Change your Detonator driver(videocard nvidia driver) for a oldest version.

5-install HL and update

Quote:It's not my system, it's not my video card, and it's not my cd.
its all of that!