Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arena Tournament
Heh.. 25 won't work. Nor will 25 with 7 bye's.

It MUST be 16 or 32, otherwise the tourney will end up like last year because of uneven numbers, and we all know everyone hated that last match:P
<@Miagi> !8 Am I spamming?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Yes.
<@Miagi> !8 Should I stop?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!

Oh no no no, I totally understand your point, but my thinking is this... if we have more than say 16.. and not enough for 32... we have a few perks.

A) If for someone reason people pull out or can't do it or something.. we've got a healthy list of alternates.

B)I was also, and this would have to be ok'd through GRITS of course, thinking we could have a fight for your slot kind of thing. Where say we have like 25 people.. We split the 25 up into say 3 groups of 6 and 2 group of 7.

- From these groups you take the top 4 as guaranteed slotters in the tourney, with the #5 of each "tier" being the first alternate... I see this kind of as an audition.. if you will to MAKE it into the tourney. I dunno.. just another one of my crazy ideas.. I'm sure whatever ya'll come up with will be great though!:)

- Also.. I wasn't around for last year's tourney.. so I've only "heard" about the craziness.. hell the last tourney I was involved in was the one PuNkGiRl and I set up back in 03... jeez.. long time:)
i hope people are put on the bracket at random, not in what order they sign up like i think it was last time?? (could be mistaken there)

don't wanna beat up rush in the first round;)jk mang
Hey I totally agree with that acid.. thus I posted my idea... if done properly it could work out to the benefit of all.. like they do in NBA style.. ie top of the top plays top of the bottom (1 vs. 9, 2 vs. 10, 3 vs. 11) and so on.. this way the bottom is not playing #1 right off of the bat... and #4 isn't playing #2 right off of the bat.:)
' Wrote:Heh.. 25 won't work. Nor will 25 with 7 bye's.

It MUST be 16 or 32, otherwise the tourney will end up like last year because of uneven numbers, and we all know everyone hated that last match:P

well there's more than one tournament system :/ they just take (much) longer than a straight advancement, single elminination bracket like it's always been done.

i don't mind it taking longer as long as people stay on schedule... but that's easier said than done in this community.
It was random.

It involves GRITS, someone with dice, and two others with a list of names.

The dice roller has no idea who he is rolling for, only GRITS.
<@Miagi> !8 Am I spamming?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Yes.
<@Miagi> !8 Should I stop?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!

Again I will just say what Grits has relayed to me over the past couple weeks. She wants a easy no hassle tourney this time around. She has told me 16 is what she was aiming for. When you start digging out the math Cloud and all of that complicated stuff it becomes a pain in the ass.

She wants to get this thing going not keep waiting longer and longer to see who may or may not sign up.

I know you have good intentions, but we go through this same stuff time and time again and all of a sudden the tourney becomes almost 3 months long and people lose intrest fast.

Oh yeah before I get chewed out by anyone I'm just relaying what she has told me so don't shoot the messenger. I've been trying to get her to reply here, but she has not been around.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Not a problem, that's how she wants to run it and I respect that..!!

Maybe I'll just host one of my own later on and then I'll be the one who gets to deal with all of that stuff:)

If she's wanting to leave it at 16, I'd highly recommend starting ASAP.. as I've been spamming the word like crazy.. so it's bound to get out and more people will be joining.. meaning more alternates.. blah blah blah:)
Knowing how these tourneys always end up we need alot of alternates:P

You know yourself with the former league how hard it was after the intial couple weeks to keep people interested. Thats always the biggest hurdle. So keeping it short and sweet seemed to work the best for the last arena one.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
since the arena tourneys are more established now though - and the players in the community.. Looking at the list of people who've signed up i'd say alternates won't be needed for people just "dropping out". They're regular members and know that if you sign up it's at least polite to stay in unless you have a valid reason not to participate.

And why wouldn't 25 work with 7 byes Miagi (that confused me)? Of course it'd work it's worked in the past with Byes and it works in other game tourneys where they don't quite meet the quota for players.

But also i think the idea of having several groups where you fight for your place in the tourney has it's perks too. It weens out anyone who "wont be bothered" to stay in the tourney and it also ensures everyone who signs up gets at least a chance to show their worth rather than a first come first serve basis. But the problem with that approach is the time issue - you'd have to arrange each groups matches which'd just be a hassle..

Anyway... meh.
Lets not beat a dead horse here, lets get it started with the 16 or 20 people, have some alternates and yada yada. If we wait too long people will just be like "to hell with it".

we will work with the people we have....I am not doing a tournament with 7 byes
might as well have first run byes to start off with, the 16 players all got byes on thier first tier:)

I will start a new post with the matches and the alternates

GOOD LUCK everyone