Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bored in the summer
Well today I got really bored. I was so bored I picked up a neat little hobby. I put together a bunch of glass and solder it in. I'm going to make a bunch or at least attempt it and try to sell some on Ebay. My first one doesn't look the best (on the soldering) because the iron is really old. Anyhow, it's a neat little hobby to get into if you get bored like me.

Here's my first work.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

is that with just regular solder? I just checked in to stainglass making the other day but I will have to put off the class because by the time I buy the tools its going to be 220 bucks:(
Wooooow awesome bro! Maybe you could make like stained glass flowers!
how long did that take? also, how much solder will you go through doing these? i'd imagine it takes a fair amount to solder glass together.

ps. make a glass dragon or something
I didn't take the class, I just jumped into it. It takes quite a bit of solder. Make sure you have a good solderin iron too, with a good tip. The only thing that I don't like is how I can't grind the sides off because I don't have a grinder. So it's not really 100% even. I made one that was more even but I bumped one edge and it went out of whack, but I kinda like how it turned out anyhow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I like your stuff turtle, it is very artsie looking. You might want to invest in some lead and save on some solder, but then you might lose some of the character of your pieces.
I just finished my first 'glass class' and decided I am going to do something with just straight edges for my second project and then go back and finish the first one.
I did get a grinder and a lot of 'special tools', but it is still difficult to do when you have no creative talent like me. I know that flux is important to get the solder to stick to metal and there are a lot of different kinds of solder. I took the class so I could eventually fix a couple of the windows in the house that need some attention, but I am not sure that will happen any time in the near future, unless I pay someone to do it.:lol:
Hmmm, speaking of flux and getting the solder to stick, you realy realy have to clean your materials. Any fingerprints or dust will make whatever metal you are working with oxidize realy fast and then nothing sticks. I learnt this the hard way when i was trying to fix something. Also you are soldering to metal you have to heat the metal a lot more than you would think or else your solder is just sitting on top of it and isent strong at all.

Thats all the tips i can think of about soldering, you might get along ok with a heavy grit sand paper and a palm sander for cleaning up your edges. Youll probaly want to use a clamp to hold it though so you keep all your fingers where they are instead of on the floor.

Its fun to mess around things that you dont know about and just experiment. Keep up the good work.
Once I get some more money, I plan on investing in a better soldering iron. Also about the lead, I wouldn't know what to get or anything else, so I haven't ventured into that yet.
anyone into glass blowing?
when ever we take a trip I try and buy a hand blown wine glass from a shop, I have a hutch full of them now, they are so colorful and full of life:heartbeat:
The town I'm in is famous for their blown glass. If anyone is ever interested in hand blown glass come visit. It's Fenton Art Glass. I guess the factory here is one of the most famous ones. It's on QVC at least once a year. Collectors come in from everywhere every year from June 23rd to August 6th to buy it at their tent sale. So if you're interested, get directions to Fenton Art Glass in Williamstown, WV.
if you eat the lead, eventually you feel funny!
you could try to make one that looks like a ricochet pad..with or without arrows:D