Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lag spikes..?
Been getting a problem lately that seems like a series of lag spikes, always together. Latency stays the same, loss and choke are 0, don't seem to be able to do anything (move or shoot) while its going on. I think i teleport too (from other people's perspectives) but i'm not sure. I've got a demo of it if that would help figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

It's probably something simple i'm too stupid to realize.
Adware/spyware/virus scan.

Anything different from the last time you played? Is it all games or just ricochet or any particular server?

It kind of sounds like CPU lag if your latency and choke are the same.
<@Miagi> !8 Am I spamming?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Yes.
<@Miagi> !8 Should I stop?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!

Ran scans and got rid of some infected files...

Still experiencing the same problem though, and it does affect all games that i've tried.

First time i noticed it was during my tourney game with blazed. It happened for less time and only twice -- much less frequently than i've been experiencing it lately.

More importantly, i've noticed that my latency HAS been spiking (though i made note of the fact that it wasn't previously)... jumping very quickly between 100 and 300 or so while its going on. I also saw 1 choke once, though usually i don't see any. Confused. :wacko:
Since it's all games, that narrows it down to a connection issue or virus.

If you have nothing running, do you see a lot of network traffic?

Do you have any routers in your setup?

Could also be a faulty router in one of the hops to the servers. Can call your isp and see if anyone else is complaining.

You could try going to start->run type cmd and ping a server a few times.

Quote:If you have nothing running, do you see a lot of network traffic?
Huh?

Quote:Do you have any routers in your setup?
I do have a router which has caused me some problems in the past... it could easily be the cause of the problem... what do i do about it?

Quote:You could try going to start->run type cmd and ping a server a few times.
Huh?
' Wrote:
Quote: If you have nothing running, do you see a lot of network traffic?
Huh?

Quote:Do you have any routers in your setup?
I do have a router which has caused me some problems in the past... it could easily be the cause of the problem... what do i do about it?

Quote:You could try going to start->run type cmd and ping a server a few times.
Huh?

Lol, I wrote that too quick since I had to leave for class.

The network connection icon thingy in your toolbar. Looks like 2 computers. If they are constantly lit, that means high traffic.

The ping thing.. Start->run and type cmd and press enter. Then type ping game7.holdouts.com and press enter. See if any of the numbers that have ms at the end are high.

Quote:The network connection icon thingy in your toolbar. Looks like 2 computers. If they are constantly lit, that means high traffic.

Well mine is a wireless network connection icon so its just 1 computer with some wavy lines... Doesn't seem to be lit up all that often.

Quote:The ping thing.. Start->run and type cmd and press enter. Then type ping game7.holdouts.com and press enter. See if any of the numbers that have ms at the end are high.

Did this about 7 times. Almost always reasonable pings, 40-90 or so. Twice in a row, however, i got "request timed out" as the response instead. That's basically how it is when i play, fine for maybe 30sec-3min then completely useless for 5-30sec.
' Wrote:
Quote:The network connection icon thingy in your toolbar. Looks like 2 computers. If they are constantly lit, that means high traffic.

Well mine is a wireless network connection icon so its just 1 computer with some wavy lines... Doesn't seem to be lit up all that often.

Quote:The ping thing.. Start->run and type cmd and press enter. Then type ping game7.holdouts.com and press enter. See if any of the numbers that have ms at the end are high.

Did this about 7 times. Almost always reasonable pings, 40-90 or so. Twice in a row, however, i got "request timed out" as the response instead. That's basically how it is when i play, fine for maybe 30sec-3min then completely useless for 5-30sec.

Is your wireless router secured? That is, you have to enter a key in order to use the wireless signal? Please say yes.

Checked into this. I didn't set it up myself, asked the person who did, they say they were going to get... someone... to do that but for some reason it was never done, in other words: no. What do you think is wrong, and how do i secure it assuming that should be my next move.
' Wrote:Checked into this. I didn't set it up myself, asked the person who did, they say they were going to get... someone... to do that but for some reason it was never done, in other words: no. What do you think is wrong, and how do i secure it assuming that should be my next move.

It could still be other possibilities, but since you cleaned out your spyware/viruses, that would be my next concern. Since all wireless router's are different, I can't tell you a step-by-step. Only thing I can think of is to search google or look for your owner's manual. You should secure it anyway :P. Someone could just access your connection and download a ton of stuff.

Can you hook your computer directly to your cable or dsl modem and see if it works any better?

If all else fails, call your isp tech help # and tell them all that you have done so far.

Haven't secured it yet, but i plugged directly into the modem and the problem persists so i guess its not that. Any other ideas?
Call your isp.