Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miagi's Summer Project
I plan on building a pc in the summer and just wanted to get opinions on what I selected. I found some of the things are cheaper on newegg than tigerdirect so thats why everything is linked to there. I'm positive I want to go with pci-express and 64-bit.

I'm still researching and reading reviews on everything. I have a few months to decide.

Motherboard: I plan on getting a pci-e video card and 64-bit processor so...
DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail

Video Card:
XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, Dual DVI, PCI-Express, Model "PVT43GND" -RETAIL

Hard-drive:
SAMSUNG 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP1213C, OEM Drive Only

Memory: Will upgrade to max after build.
Corsair Value Select Memory 184 Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Model VS1GB400C3 - Retail

Case:
Rosewill Black ATX Case with 400W Power Supply And Side Window

Probably will replace the power supply with 500W.
<@Miagi> !8 Am I spamming?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Yes.
<@Miagi> !8 Should I stop?
<@ChanServ> Miagi: Oh, please, PLEASE, make it stop!

Nice selection of components. I would be very interested in the performance once it is complete. I am in the process of building one also but opted to stay with 32-bit at this point.

I wonder if going to 64-bit would speed up the performance of any applications not specifically designed in 64-bit. Three applications I specifically would be interested in are HL2, Visual Studio (.Net & v6) and Eclipse.

desNotes
I'd say go with a faster processor if possible, depends on $ and what the mobo can take. I'm not a video card expert, but I think there are better ones that you can get. Again $

I find it doubtful that you will need a 400W power supply, let alone a 500, but they are pretty cheap, so it doesnt hurt.

I'm hoping i can build a new computer in the summer, but I have no idea what my financial situation will be. I can keep most of the things in my current system, I just want a new mobo processor and video card. I'm hoping i can keep my current ram, but I doubt it. I'll prolly go with something from the DFI lanparty series, they seem to make really good mobo's.
The processor is the cheapest in its series and the series above this one performs just a tad better, no major difference.

There's always better, trying to get the best bang for the buck.

Ya thats always how it is. A nice thing about going wiht the low end is its still decent, but you can always put in the most powerful one into the mobo for a couple hundred if you feel you need it.
* Squish drools over corsair...
Little bump but I finally built it :P.

Funny thing is none of the parts are the same as what I listed here PnG knows how many times I changed parts around:D.

Specs:

EVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E Video Card
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz
WINTEC AMPO 1GB DDR2 800
ABIT KN9 ULTRA Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra
This Case

A year an a half later and it is done.:D Hopefully everything works fine and dandy for years to come.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Congrats Miagi it is a nice feeling to build your own
Don't jip us now... WE WANT PICS!:):)

You shoulda video'd the whole process (you and your videos..:)) and did a how-to for noobs.:)
I'm glad you went with DDR2, although, with working with motherboards as often as I do now... I wish I could have told you to go with biostar... they're incredibly good and cheap, a dream to work with. and that nVIDIA cards tend to burn out faster than ATI.
But, whats done is done, congrats man.
yeah myx but Nvidia also outperform ATi by a fair margin these days.. I mean i'm a big ATi supporter but lately they've had nothing that'll scratch a GeForce so i've ordered a 7300GT GDDR2 Factory overclocked, same price as a ATi X1300 and looking at the benchmark scores it's on average 30% quicker than it.
ATi really need to bring out a new card to challenge NVidia again
' Wrote:yeah myx but Nvidia also outperform ATi by a fair margin these days.. I mean i'm a big ATi supporter but lately they've had nothing that'll scratch a GeForce so i've ordered a 7300GT GDDR2 Factory overclocked, same price as a ATi X1300 and looking at the benchmark scores it's on average 30% quicker than it.
ATi really need to bring out a new card to challenge NVidia again

That's not the only thing. The real things that are making me never buy an ATI card again are the drivers...