Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLASPHEMY
Freefall stopped into HLDM today and while we were on monster bunker he asked what all the monsters were from. I simply replied with "Haven't you played the single player before?" expecting "Well yah but blah blah" in response. But no, I got:

"No."

Which scares the crap out of me because at that point it hit me that lots of people have probably never played the single player while they use the multiplayer and its mods. This is sary news to me! I didn't even know there was a multiplayer until about 2 years after I played the single player. And I loved the game! So this is it, I want all of the mod users who have never played the single player to fess up.

And shame on the ppl who cant wait for HL2 but have never even played the first one. And you call yourselves gamers:P.
you have to play hl single-player...omg, it's one of the best games ever (EVER!)...an incredible, and completely imersive experience.

you really have to experience the depth of black mesa to believe it. and now you can for FREE...dl valve's steam and start a new hl game and you will be on your way beginning w/ one of the most memorable openings in gaming history (ah..the train ride...hehe).

after that, try Opposing Forces (almost as good as hl) which comes w/ a great DM mod also...i recommend skipping Blue Shift (too short and no bosses) and downloading Poke646. and if you like all that and need more...get Azure Sheep, Point of View and Todesangst...all great sp mods. if you run out of sp mods, then get Blue Shift...lol.

and if you want to play hl w/ your friends...go get Sven Co-op and go beat on some bullsquids and houndeyes together...^_^
I was the same... played the half-life game before I got into TFC. Never really played the HLDM except at work.. (go figure:)) but I used to play Quake,etc there too. :-D
Out of the last 10 games I have played, I have never played the single player versions of them. I find that its very boring because the AIs are way too easy.

I like hunting humans, and since its illegal to do that in real life, multiplayer games are the next best thing. :upto:

I will try single player Half-life 2 when it comes out, but I think i'll be going multiplayer 100% after a month or 2 once everything is up and running right.
Ok I wont say I havent played it but I didnt play it all the way through...anyone that knows me knows I like on line games for the social aspect....and I couild get too much out of Barney nor the docs
I never finished the 1st player..it got borin and then I became playin CS real soon..cause CS was the whole reason I bought it. Then on dayz that I'm extremly bored, I will try to play but I just quit after 30 mins...its to borin and there is no one to talk to
Half-Life is one of the best single-player games I have ever played, next to, of course, Deus Ex. Can't wait for HL2 and DE2.
once hl2 comes out there will be no multiplayer feature for 1 month...after 1 month they will release a patch then we can play online..they are forcing everybody to play single:D
ok, the gameplay itself isnt the only reason to play it. for instance, the plot, which is f-ing mind boggling in its greatness, was written by a novelist by the name of Mark Laidlaw. His novels are like that of a bad ass steven king. Also, it has unparralled level design which is consistent all the way through. It plays like a movie, but because its an amazingly well designed game, it is more engrossing than any game could ever be.

so give me a good excuse now. of course, now you ppl are missing out because back in the day the graphics were mind blowing, and now theyre just 5 year old graphics. but hl2 shall fix that...
i agree w/ sage...it's just a great ride. the atmosphere of the game is what i like most about it.

i heard that hl2 was going to ship w/ multiplayer game(s)...it's rumored that a co-op game and/or tf2 will be included when it ships. whatever the case...it probably won't be a deathmatch game.
the reason it may be a co-op game is that, for the first time, the engine will fully support the game mode and it would be nice to show it off.
I'm sorry sage :( but have no fear..i intend on trying single player...as soon as i get around to it, whenever that may be...but it WILL happen for sure eventually...seriously:mellow:
tfc2 is\was suppose to ship out with hl2..tfc2 was suppose to be release a long long long...long long time ago but never did....phl.com interviews said taht hl2 itself will not be multiplayer when it first comes out...the released of hl2 will have a patch 1 month later..in that patch will update hl2 for multiplayer capabilities...i have no idea why they are doing this :\...CS:CZ is suppose come out before\around\after hl2..who knows...cs1.6 is suppose to come out before hl2 but who knows
SP hl was really good, and really long (also good). I can still fly through "Surface Tension" in my mind. Good times.
I can't play HL single player..every time i try..i get this message
Quote:map change failed: 'c0a0' not found on server

WHY!!!
that can be a number of things...#1 you can have the illegal copy of hl #2 it didnt install rigiht #3 you deleted the file by accident..try reinstalling it
i bought counter-strike, not hl and then a bunch of mods...well..i suppose i better get to reinstalling then nad hope it works..thanks
Wha?,Jul 26 2003, 10:47 PM Wrote:SP hl was really good, and really long (also good). I can still fly through "Surface Tension" in my mind. Good times.
good god, just mentioning surface tension gives me shell shock flash backs.
so many people said they didn't like the single player because of the lack of people, like in online games, but i was so immersed in the single player because of that feeling. the feeling that you are all alone, and there is some weird freakin stuff goin on, and you are somehow caught in the middle of it. not a character, YOU. the game is all first-person, and when you come across other characters, they talk directly to the screen, meaning you.
i love that feeling of anticipation when a security gaurd claims to have an important message for you, and just as he is about to tell you something you absolutely must NOT do, he is assassinated from behind. then you start getting shot at, and you can't tell from where. all you know, is you have to get out of there.
alive.
that's why i loved the single player game so much.
well said brokend ^_^
STEAM!! :D

I know what you're thinking, "screw steam "steam sucks" etc.

Now I'm not pr0. steam (get it..cause there's clan called pr0...nm) but MAN! thanks to steam i finally got to play single player hl....ok so i've only done the hazard course so far(just for kicks) but sp works now...

p.s. w00t
congrats freefall, the first time i played hl sp i was in grd 8 (being in grd 12 now) its quite fun and i started the sp again, for kicks, during the whole steam thing, i've beaten it now B) without cheating :thumb:
I started playing the OF single player... however, this was before I downloaded the full steam installer... and every time that I went through a door it was like 10 minutes before the next bit would load!
so bascially it took you 20 minutes to beat *zing*