Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layin' Down the Law
Today's interview takes an intimate look at one of Ricochet's very important figures. He has had to play many roles in the community, on the servers and in the forums. A carpenter, an officer of the law, a mediator, and a friend are just a few things I can come up with on command. But he is much more.

I had expected to fly Nick out on my private jet, but he wasn't having it. He sent me an email that contained a link to some obscure website. He told me that when I was ready for his arrival I could simply click the link and follow the prompts. I did so and was floored by what happened.

My Real Download application began to open the program, but right in the middle it stopped. My screen went blank and further all of my lights went out! All electricity to the suite was cut except for that to my computer. As weird as this was, I knew it wasn't over. A booming bass-filled voice came from nowhere.... no... everywhere! It proclaimed louddly yet calmly, 'BRACE YOURSELF MUTHA F*****R!!' I was already in the corner of the room, huddled in the fetal position, so I was about as braced as one can be. An intense blue flame emerged in the middle of the room, and from within formed a being.
Gwarsbane stepped forward and looked around. 'What's up?'

Gwarsbane in his own words: Nick Julian, old enough (older then 19, younger then 1 million), Programmer\Graphics Artist\Webpage Designer\Web site admin\Packrat\TV watcher\Music Listener\and other things, from Nova Scotia Canada.

And he is an admin. Not just an admin, but he has been the most visible on the Holdout's servers since they became popular. While there are many admins on the servers, yours truly included B), Gwar has been involved in the most controversey. I will not be talking with him today about specific incidents. Those have been discussed up, down, and backwards in the forums. Many threads have been opened and closed regarding Gwar's relationship with those who have been removed from the server group. You can go back and read them if you'd like.

Today I am here to discuss the role with Gwarsbane in a civilized fashion, on my column. I for one have always respected him and his policies. Here is his chance to speak uninterupted. Further, as you all have figured out over the last few weeks, I am askin the friggin questions! Shall we get into it?

Beastie: Hello Gwarsbane. I have been waiting to get you into my column. After all, you helped to set up the current home to my column, vadavaka.com! Tell me what prompted you to do such a thing.
Gwarsbane: Well I like creating web pages, I have 6 personal websites. When I was asked to be an admin for the Vadavaka game servers I had asked GRITS about a website and if she had any space for one. I can't remember if she said she had a space at the time but that she did plan on making one evnetually once she learned how, but that it would be a while. Thats when I made up most of the site that you see now and gave it to GRITS to not only put up to help people people informed but as a thanks for making me an admin. :D

Beastie: Where did you learn so much about websights and computers in general. Does it fit into your carreer goals, or is it strictly a hobby?
Gwarsbane: I've been into computers for such a long time. I bought my first IBM compatable (486 DX-2 66) many years ago. The more I used it the more I liked computers. I formatted the drive many times, I removed all the hardware in it many times. Everytime I did I learned something new. I knew by then that computers were going to be in my life big time.
In high school I just blew through the computer courses but I have to admit that they were pretty easy, except for the CADD (Computer Aided Design and Drafting) course, but I did good in that course too.
In college I went for programming. While I was learning programming, I also learned web design on my own which also lead to graphics design, after all I needed to make pictures for my website.
Computers fit right in with my carreer goals. Everything I would like to do has to do with computers. Computers is what I see myself making lots of money from in the future, but I also see me using them as a hobby too. To me online games are my hobby.

Gwar has played as long as I have, give or take a few days. Sonetimes I wonder how I have kept up with it, for many have come and gone. We are in a time of change as we speak.

Beastie: Be honest here, do you still enjoy this game? You have had to play a tough role as a senior admin on vads. Without citing individual incidents, how has it shaped your experience, for better or for worse?
Gwarsbane: Damn right I still enjoy this game. It reminds me so much of the game
Discs of Tron from the 80s that I used to play that I can not just walk away from it now. Best thing about it is that its multiplayer so I get to take on live humans instead of stupid computer AIs that are super easy to beat.
Yes my role as admin on the Vadavaka servers has been tough. Its harder then anyone realizes. Its hard to tell a friend to behave or I'll kick them. As you and a few others know, I don't play favorites when I am playing on a server where I am admin.
It has not really shaped my experience. It has been a learning experience to balance being an admin and being a friend all at the same time. It has been hard, but I think I'm doing an ok job of it.

I will have to vouch for that. I am only within rights to speak on events where I have been there in person, but I would definitly ask him to admin my own server.

Beastie: Adminning obviously has it's good sides to come along with the more publicized bad. What has been the biggest advantage to adminning on Vad's?
Gwarsbane: The biggest advantage is working side by side with GRITS and all the other admins. They are a great bunch of people. Its also nice to be able to get rid of the idiots that show up and want to cause problems.

What's he talking about? I don't remember any... heh... riight.

Beastie: As a key player in building the infrastructure for our community, give me some insight into the future. Will we see any new waves of Ricochet players? Are we ready for it? Could the forums handle a blast of say three hundred more registered users?
Gwarsbane: I also think the forums are important, besides screaming for bugs to be fixed, the forums were the #1 item people wanted. Other sites had them, but most of them didn't stay up long because they were attached to clan sites.
I do hope we see new waves of people coming in, but I hope they are small waves so that our community can grow without busting at the seams. I think we are always ready for it, I have been seeing more and more new people each time I play. There are times when I don't know anyone on the Vadavaka servers at all. The forums could easily handle 300 new people, it could easily handle 3000 new people, well maybe not in one day as I think that would overload the server, but over a few weeks ya no problem.

Beastie: Heading back to before forums, Vad's, the current clans, and all. What got you so interested in the game to begin with? Who do you credit for helping to develop your skills?
Gwarsbane: When the last patch come out, I seen the little thing where it said "install Ricochet Icon onto the desktop?" I said sure. Then I went and read in the docs what Ricochet was and I though on cool, Tron!!! I'm a big Tron fan and like I mentioned above, I used to play the game Discs of Tron in the arcade when I was younger.
I jumped onto a server and seen people jumping around so I just joined in and boy did I suck, but I kept on playing.
This might sound weird but I credit everyone that didn't help me which was most of the people. One of the first clan servers I went on, I found that just about everyone of them seemed stuck up and I felt like they thought that they were better then everyone else playing. There were a few nice players there but the rest all seemed like jerks. Thats when I thought, I'm going to get better just so that I can beat all of them and teach them a lesson that you can be nice and still be good.
The short of it is, no one tought me to play, I learned on my own by just watching other people. People have certain patterns that I see when playing and I just learned to counter each pattern. But there are some people that I have not figured out their patterns and still have problems beating.

The only tag you will ever see Gwarsbane wear is GAG, which says to others that he is an admin on Holdout's. For a while we were the clanless wonders together. I eventually broke.

Beastie: Like me in my first year of play, you have stayed clear of clans. While I certainly understand it, please explain it for others who may not.
Gwarsbane: I'm just not fond of clans. I just see no use in them. Some people like being in clans, I'm just not one of those people.

Beastie: Tell me about what you do in your off time away from the servers and the websight. Do you play other games? What do you do off-line?
Gwarsbane: Well I'm an admin for a very successful Mech Warrior programming site.
mektek.net I've been an admin there for a bunch of years. They are a great bunch of people that I would not want to trade anything for... well ok maybe a few state of the art computers, but nothing less then that. :lol:
I also work on graphics in Photoshop 7, Poser 4 and 5, Bryce 4 and 5. I do some work only own websites, gwarsbane.mektek.netis my main one though.It hasn't been updated for a bit, but I have been working on it offline. I also work on video editing, sound editing and I even made some of my own songs years ago. No worries, I never sang for any of them.
I'm also a sci-fi fan and watch Farscape, Stargate SG-1, Andromeda, Enterprise and a few other shows. I love Anime, I won't mention all the ones we like because that is a long list. :D
I also do some programming every now and then, its not much as I don't remember much of what I was tought, but its usually enough to build a program that I need at the time.
I'm almost always listening to music. I'll listen to anything from Heavy Metal to Classical. Heavy Metal is my fav thou.

Gwar programs only when he needs to get to Vegas without the inconveinence of air travel. Programs that send him via violent, fiery upload are so much easier!

Beastie: We share an enjoyment for a band most of these players have never heard of. Who is Gwar and what albums/songs should gwar-noobs check out for first impressions?
Gwarsbane: Ahh yes Gwar, my favorite group. They are a group of insane people that do whats called shock rock. Basically they dress up in some really freaky costums, sing and dance around on stage. They sing heavy metal (which is my favorite kind of music). I really like them mainly because their songs are funny and they don't take themselves seriously.

Beastie: Gwar is pretty badass in concert. I have heard some people don't make it back! The band vs uT, OS, RiP, RFA, CAKE, and Pro in a WWE style Battle Royale... is there a chance in hell for any of the clans? Does this sound like a good pay-per-view?
Gwarsbane: While I have never been to one of their concerts live, I have seen what they are like from pictures and videos I have downloaded off the net. People walk in feeling great, walk out feeling even better but missing their head!
hehe
Gwar vs all the clans... well thats no contest man, Gwar would kick their butts and then pile the bodies up in the center and sit on them like a throne! :P

And that is probably the truth. I came across a large group of concert goers one time in Appleton, Wisconsin. Sure they all made it out alive, but only after they were spraypainted hair to shoelaces in orange! Wish I had been there!

Gwarsbane will continue to run the Holdout's servers and this forum you are on as you read this. His knowledge, experience and good judgement help make our game more civil for all. Remind him of that when you see him next!

Look for me next week when I will have another fun chat with one of your mediocre mod-mates. Until then have a good time decapping... and I want to hear no crap about our community disolving!! We are strong!! Oorgle!!
*re-posting for the benefit of newer players*

please see date of original post for accurate time frame.