Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer Movies
I have seen quite a few movies this summer. And I havent seem all of the ones I want to see but I would like to know if anyone has any favorite I might have missed.
I went to go see Tomb Raider today and decided to sit in Pirates of the Caribbean until it started. Pirates was good enough I didnt leave when it was time to switch to the Lora Croft. It was cute light hearted....Disney (which is always a plus for me) Johnny Depp....another plus Orlando Bloom....little young but a definite plus and Keira Knightley is beautiful....the special FX were great and it was a feel good movie with action and a good although predictable story. I am really glad I stayed for it. And anyone who has ever been to the Pirates of the Caribbean at either Disney Park will find many familiar scenes. Stay past the long long list of credits...for the 'real' end to the movie...
it was a good summer movie and worth the trip into the airconditioning
oh and Disney has "Haunted Mansion" movie coming out now too.
POTC was great. Johnny Depp's character is very likable. I'm always impressed by his acting skills. It doesn't seem like he has peaked, he just gets better and better. I hope they make a sequel to POTC.
Anyone else think the main actress looked like Winona Ryder? Also I heard she is the actress that played Queen Amidalda's (sp?) double in Episode I.

I saw Freddy vs Jason on Thursday. It's a movie I had to see since I grew up watching the earlier movies. Don't worry, I'm not gonna say who wins ... but I will say it is definitely a fun movie. Now they just need to make Alien vs Predator...
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
My fav for the summer I think is T3. The ending was totally unexpected which was a nice surprise which is why its my fav. Not too many movies can suprise me at the end like this one did.

I've seen Tomb 2, it was ok but not as good as the first one.

Pirates was pretty funny to watch. It wasn't bad.

Hulk was good, then again I was a fan of the Hulk for a long time.

What other movies are considered summer movies?

I've seen X2, Matrix 2, Dare Devil and a few others, but can't remember when all the different ones came out.

I'm looking forward to Freddy vs Jason thou. 2 classic horror movie killers duking it out on the screen together. I've seen all the Freddy movies and all but one of the Jason movies.

I would like Alien vs Predator too, no idea when thats suppose to be coming, i've heard at least 10 to 20 different dates for it.
Daredevil was definitely not a summer movie...

Anyway, I'd have to say Bad Boys II... Matrix Reloaded was fun and had awesome special effects, but the fact that Bad Boys combines awesome action with comedy is just almost unbeatable... so overall, I couldn't really choose a specific movie, but in different categories I like different movies. Also, American Wedding was just... absolutely... hilarious. I didn't really like American Pie 2, but American Wedding was awesome. Nothing will beat the original of course.
Must admit, T3 was different to T2/T1... but the ending... yeah, caught me by surprise a li'l... I was expecting Skynet to be on a BBC Model B or something similar.
i liked spider. unfortunately i know that the only other person on these boards that saw it was brokend, because we watched it together 3 times at the theatre that he works at.
I'm a spidey fan.
T3?
jabbahunt,Aug 17 2003, 11:24 PM Wrote:I'm a spidey fan.
nono, not Spiderman, he means Spider, a canadian funded project by David Cronenberg, the same dude that directed The Fly (the one with Jeff Goldblum). This movie has Ralph Fiennes and Miranda Richardson, and it's a kind of disturbed recollection through the eyes of a schizophrenic. Miranda Richardson is an amazing actress; she plays three seperate roles in the movie, and you don't realize it until pretty late in the movie.

By the way, this movie was also my source for the phrase "you cheeky monkey." so, you all must see it. besides, you can rent it now; it's out on dvd.:mellow:
I've heard of it but have yet to see it....

anywho..I've seen too many movies this summer to choose which is the best..they're all good!
this summer, i've seen xmen2, the hulk and...yeah, that's pretty much it...lol. of the two, i liked the hulk better. i do want to see freddy vs. jason. i know it's going to be bad...awful even...but i can't help myself ^_^.
2 movies i bought on DVD: Old School with Will Farrell and Spun (a movie about being hooked on crank).
I think Spun just came out. If you are somewhat knowledgeable about the drug culture...check out Spun.
It is filled with stars and is filmed in an Independent style like Pulp Fiction. Check it out.
SPUN!
i loved that freakin movie. great actors, and the music was done comepletely by Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins, who also makes a cameo at the end as a doctor. it does have a lot of great actors, incluidng a great job by John Leguizamo. the only sacrifice is that you have to see him wear nothing but a sock. nothing but a sock.
actually, i have a poster sitting right next to me. jason schwartzman and britanny murphy on the front. great poster. great movie. ^_^
.asm,Aug 18 2003, 04:35 PM Wrote:i do want to see freddy vs. jason. i know it's going to be bad...awful even...but i can't help myself ^_^.
you're just going to feed the fire for more bad movies to come out.
Of course.:)
hmm, movies i've seen this summer. I saw minority report, that was really cool, the great escape was also great (old steve mcqueen movie). Matrix 2, xmen 2, men with brooms (if your canadian go see it), charlies angels 2 (really bad, by far the worst movie that i've seen this summer), Identity (much cooler then the trailers made it look), i think thats about it.
I heard Freddy vs. Jason was pretty good from lots of people, though I haven't seen it myself.

Xmen2, American Wedding, PoTC, all good movies!

edit: T3 was okay, nice action, went to see it a second time under the influence and I really do think the ending is what made is a not-so-perfect movie. In T1 and T2, the plots give hope for the future, as in, there *IS* a way to stop the war, yet T3, having a different director and all, pretty much says that we're doomed, and there's no way of stoping it, kinda killed it.

edit2: OH! Confidence was a badass movie too, imo.
I disagree, T3's ending actually makes the first two make sense. If they had of stopped the war from ever happening, then it wouldn't have sparked T1:P
actually, none of it makes sense. they kind of ruined the time paradox thing by making it all impossible.
They also ruined it by messing up dates and ages. John Connor was 10 in T2, not 13 as they said...
sage_4,Aug 24 2003, 08:01 PM Wrote:actually, none of it makes sense. they kind of ruined the time paradox thing by making it all impossible.
How is it impossible? It actually works out.
i hate to say it, but movies idea of time travel doesnt actually float with what would actually be true. im not saying time travel is even possible, but lets look at it this way:

lets say i hate you, and decide to go back in time and kill your dad and your mother who is pregnant with you (pretty brutal, eh?) i could just go back in time, do so, come back in time for dinner, and you would have never been born, right? wrong. if i were to do so, then i would have never met you. therefore i never would have gone back, therefore impossible. its not like some alternate me, who knows what really happend can exist. if you were never there to piss me off enough to go back in time, then why would i have gone back? suffice it to say, as much as i love back to the future, the whole series couldnt have happened for this very reason.

and this translates into t3. ok, im a soldier, sent back in time to protect hotty Linda hamilton. all i know is that this dday armageddon stuff is in 1997, because it always happened in 1997 blah blah blee. then how can it have happened in 2003? even the machines, who probably dont lie, say that it hapens in 1997 (because if it is history to them, it has to have happened) It couldnt have just jumped dates, it makes no sense that it actually happens in 2003.. further more, why would the robots have sent a terminator back in time to keep connor from being born, if they know that they failed at the mission.

long story short kiddies, if you want to go back in time and change something, furthermore you have a means to do so, too bad, it aint gonna happen. i hate to ruin every time travel movie ever, but sorry.

of course, some things do work. in an episode of twilight zone, a man goes back in time to prevent a fire in a western town in the 1800's that he had read about, only to end up being the one who started the fire in the first place. he had been reading about himself in the book:P.

i realize that i am stupidly reading very deeply into a simple movie, but im just trying to convey some logic.
In the business, we call that the grandfather paradox... go back in time, kill your grandfather before your father was born, but if you do that, you would have never been born, so therefore you would have never gone back in time to kill your grandfather in the first place. Time travel is not possible, unless you travel to a different dimension just in a different time.
or if you go back and be real ***I'm Stupid for Swearing***ing careful
sage_4,Aug 25 2003, 08:32 PM Wrote:i hate to say it, but movies idea of time travel doesnt actually float with what would actually be true. im not saying time travel is even possible, but lets look at it this way:

lets say i hate you, and decide to go back in time and kill your dad and your mother who is pregnant with you (pretty brutal, eh?) i could just go back in time, do so, come back in time for dinner, and you would have never been born, right? wrong. if i were to do so, then i would have never met you. therefore i never would have gone back, therefore impossible. its not like some alternate me, who knows what really happend can exist. if you were never there to piss me off enough to go back in time, then why would i have gone back? suffice it to say, as much as i love back to the future, the whole series couldnt have happened for this very reason.

and this translates into t3. ok, im a soldier, sent back in time to protect hotty Linda hamilton. all i know is that this dday armageddon stuff is in 1997, because it always happened in 1997 blah blah blee. then how can it have happened in 2003? even the machines, who probably dont lie, say that it hapens in 1997 (because if it is history to them, it has to have happened) It couldnt have just jumped dates, it makes no sense that it actually happens in 2003.. further more, why would the robots have sent a terminator back in time to keep connor from being born, if they know that they failed at the mission.

long story short kiddies, if you want to go back in time and change something, furthermore you have a means to do so, too bad, it aint gonna happen. i hate to ruin every time travel movie ever, but sorry.

of course, some things do work. in an episode of twilight zone, a man goes back in time to prevent a fire in a western town in the 1800's that he had read about, only to end up being the one who started the fire in the first place. he had been reading about himself in the book:P.

i realize that i am stupidly reading very deeply into a simple movie, but im just trying to convey some logic.
Not exactly true, because the actual events leading up to the war changed... therefore different things were sent... Whilst the time line was adjusted, it doesn't always necessarily result in people/events not happening, but could potentially happen at different times in different ways... hence the time paradox of the Terminator movies COULD actually work.
You have to forgo the logical part of your brain....that part that wants to dissect the whys and hows....when you go to movies or you can't enjoy them....trust me...the grandfather paradox messes with me big time and drove me crazy in the first Terminator....so I put that part of my brain aside when I enter the scifi realm.......oh I still like to think about it...because I love brain power....and I keep hoping someone will be able to come up with a logical explanation....:wacko:
Ok, the problem I have with time travel since you brought it up is that you would have to travel with all the mass around you, since things do not stay in one place and you can't move thru it without damaging it, so if you take the mass with you, what happens to that void and what happens to the mass you are pushing aside to move thru, wouldn't a paradox happen because of the disturbance?
The hell are you people talking about? It's just a movie.
I do put it aside... but they brought it up, and I'm just saying in real life that time travel isn't possible for the obvious paradoxes involved.
Couldn't I travel back in time for no particular reason other than to do it and do absolutely nothing?
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."