Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They- a short story
I just wrote this for a writing class, I hope you enjoy it.

They

My family was the first to go, I don’t know why here, or even how... but they came. They’re monsters, nothing more I tell you! But they still die easy enough, a shot or two, I was lucky to wake up when I did or I would have been next; that must have been how they did it! Killed everyone that is, in their sleep, yes their sleep. But I woke up just in time and killed the three beasts that killed my wife and kids... my wife... I miss her the most you know? Long blond hair that would shine like the sun, and a smile so wide and white you would think her an angel. My two children... six and thirteen... so smart, so young.... WHY! It doesn’t matter anymore though, because I will soon be wherever they are; even if they don’t get me I surly will starve to death, maybe I should just kill myself, nothing more matters, yes, I will, it would be so easy... one just came in, but how... they couldn’t possibly know where I was! I was so careful! Wait, its only looking for me, I can sneak up on it when it goes past the closet, just one or two shots, and its dead.... now!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! One less of you things in the world now! I will show you all! But I can’t, there are so many; I dared to look outside once, they destroyed nothing, but they did something much worst; they walk around as if they live here now. Going in and out of the liquor store across the street, I even saw one of them in a car as if it was going to drive it! There is no way it could of corse, but it was trying all the same; their arms are too long, and heads much too big, three times the size of a humans, and its body is nothing like ours, it’s just a big green mass... almost like the shape of a soda can. And it has no legs, but slides across the ground. Just thinking about them makes me want to run out and... they look almost like an alien I saw in a grade B move once... its funny how things work that way. I’m not sure yet, but I think they killed everyone and everything then took what we have made for themselves! They even took our language; could you believe that! The first three I killed said nothing, I think they were still feeding, but the last two to come, even the one I just killed, pleaded for its life... in English! But how! They must eat our brains, yes the brain! That’s why they know how everything works! That’s how they are flying the planes and jets I hear all the time! Its so simple! They must still be looking for me... or maybe more people who woke up like me! I have to go look for them... no, I can’t, I wouldn’t make it ten feet before being killed. WHY! Why did they have to come here? I know we weren’t the best people we could have been, but we tried damn it! We made it so far too; we had computers and phones and cars and... we made it to the moon for god sakes! But now we have nothing, they took it all, all our work, everything we ever made; now they have it! Wait... another one just came in.

I don’t think I will make it through the night... the last one that just came in was using a gun, it shot me in the leg... but I still got him! I don’t care anymore, if I live or die that is. Its not worth living like this with them. I know what I’ll do! I’ll just run out and shoot as many as I can! Kill as many as the damn beast as I can before I die... I need to get my guns. I should use the rifle... so I don’t miss, I wont have time to reload. I always loved my guns... even when I was a boy and went hunting with my father. I was always a good shot, I could have been better, but I never tried hard. I miss my life, the life that is gone forever now... this is for you Lena! All of them are going to die for you!

They ran... all of them ran... screaming... but why? They were afraid! Yes, afraid! They are so pathetic! Only in our sleep can they kill us, and if we come after them, they run! My leg, the bleeding got worst... well I got five before the rest ran off; lucky bastards! If only I could chase them, then they would all pay! I’m getting sleepy, and the gun got heavier somehow... I bet they are doing this! I have to lay down... I can’t even walk anymore! But the door is so close... sirens? They’re getting louder, I bet they're coming with guns now... Heheheheh, the trick’s on them, I’m almost dead now anyways... Heheheheh.

“How many did he kill doctor?”
“Ten.”
“How sad; even his wife and kids in their sleep.”
“Apparently he convinced himself they were all monster... he even thinks we are; still ranting about how he will kill us all. I have never seen a person so far gone in their own hysteria before.”
“He killed a cop right before the three children and their mother, if he hadn’t been shot...”
“Yes, this could have been much worst...”