Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobo is on order
ok I ordered my mobo today.....I noticed they have some great online support and have already changed some of the BIOS
WOW gonna have to have a lan party just to show this baby off.:D

ok next is memory and some fans probably...any suggestions??
Hey RP don't think I forgot what you said about building computers;)
What ever memory you get make sure it has a lifetime warrenty on it. Alot of memory manufactures have that now. 5 years from now, a 512 or 1 gig stick fries you can exchange it for a new one.

As to who makes it I don't know. there are so many out there. but make sure your motherboard can support the mhz of it. And remember you might be able to fill all the slots with 333mhz ram but you might only be able to fill 2 of say 3 slots or 2 of 4 slots with 400mhz ram. Some motherboards (like mine) are fussy that way.

333mhz ram will do thou.

I would suggest no less then 512 megs. computers today work better with more ram. Unless you want to go upto the max amount of ram right now, I would stay way from the 1 ghz sticks of ram. They are more then double the price of what 2 512 meg sticks cost. So if you have 4 ram slots fill them with 4 sticks of 333mhz 512meg ram and you will be more then happy.

But again make sure your system can handle 3 or 4 sticks of 333 ram first. Some can't, but yours is newer then mine so I'm guessing it can.

I personally like the 80 mm case fans for cooling things down. I have 3 of them in my system. There are 40mm and 60mm case fans too, but as long as you have the space the larger ones are good. Also make sure you get the proper size grills for the fans too. They are good for protecting fingers. hehe (yes thats personal experience talking)

Right now I am using the case fans to cool down my 2 hard drives and the video card, ya I know over kill but hey, I have never had an over heating problem with my system. :D

I also leave my case wide open with no sides.

Something you should get if you don't have them, case thumb screws. they are expensive for the I think 4 or 6 (can't remember the actual amount) that you get and they are under 2 bucks a pack I think. Ihave been told that you can get them in a hardware store too.
what he said. B)
Gwarsbane,Aug 31 2003, 10:23 PM Wrote:I also leave my case wide open with no sides.
That's actually the wrong thing to do, because of air flow. In order for the fans to work effectively you really should have the case closed up so that it drags air in across the components, rather than just having it filter out the side in the large gapping hole.
i have the one side open, because i only have one fan, and thats the fan on the CPU itself. Their might be a fan on my video card, but it wont be a good one. I'm gonna get 2 more asap, hopefully this weekend.
Actually, Anon, your vid card has two fans on it.

I keep the side off my case because my system and cpu temps were in the high 50's and low 60's (respectively) and this was in winter. That is, until I took it off. I will put the side back on once I get some fans to draw enough air.
If your case is getting too hot with the case side on, you have DEFINATELY got a problem with air flow, because having it off should cause it to be hotter not cooler... despite the idea of an open gap. That's just all the technical theory behind it anyway.
After posting that I suddenly thought that last part sounds like sommat else I know ........
i see your point net, but we dont have fans on your computers pulling the cooler air in, so leaving the side open would help airflow, when there isn't aid from a fan. We only have the one CPU fan but we're planning on getting 2 case fans each ASAP, and then we'll close up the side.
build
I liked that enzymo!:)
the scary thing is, that its real, and i actually do see people doing it, and again.
If they are faked... those are the best faked photo's I've seen!:)
Must be a hardcore pain getting the CDs and stuff out.
Feet it some Bran it'll come out nice and smooth... or maybe that should be nuts...
avoid corn, trust me on this