Poll: If you had the opportunity to get all music for free off the internet (using programs like Napster or Kazaa) would you, or would you still buy CDs (or another means of recording)?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, free music is free music
21.74%
5 21.74%
No, it's wrong, and shouldn't be allowed
4.35%
1 4.35%
I would take advantage of the program, but still support the artists by buying the occasional album
65.22%
15 65.22%
Metallica should be beaten with concrete-filled milk jugs
8.70%
2 8.70%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Download
Join the somethingawful forums and get FTP addresses for all the albums you'd EVER want, or www.ircspy.com / www.packetnews.com always lists full albums on IRC (if you know how to use it).

Just stop using KaZaa:P
Metallica owns me.
-Sockhole
"If ya SMELL ... what the SOCK ... is cookin."
I use to run into Dave Mustaine in the grocery store when I lived in the Valley area in Arizona...it was sort of stange to see him as a 'regular' guy on a Saturday afternoon..
yeah, i think hes quite down to earth, and grounded. I saw ghetti lee at a jays game (lead for rush, not sure if i spelled the name right).
Geddy Lee...but hell all you had to say was lead vocals for RUSH everyone should know who you are talking about.... or even lead bass:D
Was he trying to catch a ball with his crotch so he could perform?
that was settled in batting practice ;)
practice makes perfect they say... but if you practive having a ball thrown in your croch... it ain't gonna be perfect afterwards:)
Ok finally looked at this thread..but I just glanced and saw ALL that writin so I was too lazy to read it all..but I would just like to say I used to d/l from kazaa and all..but I had a ton of prob with my comp..tons of viruses different things like that..and I traced it back to kazaa..so since then (1year ago) I haven't used anything to d/l music and I buy the cds to support the bands..and now they are lowerin the price to 10 dollars so YEH!! :D
I don't tend to download MP3's ... I rip them from the official CD's... I have loads of 'em.. however, if a friend has one that I like... I'll get it straight from them:)
netniV,Sep 7 2003, 03:51 PM Wrote:I don't tend to download MP3's ... I rip them from the official CD's... I have loads of 'em.. however, if a friend has one that I like... I'll get it straight from them:)
Same I rip the songs on the comp..and maybe if I must need a song they will send it to me through msn or somethin...
As long as i'm not using it to profit from, i'm not sure how it could be wrong.
Erm, because they won't be able to order £1,000 suits due to their ever increasing poverty-line pay packets being so low.
You know, something that a person brought up in a newsgroup I read got me thinking.

CDs already have a specific tax of them now to compensate artists for their music. If someone is buying blank cds, how can they be sued to pay compensation that is already suppose to be paid to the artists?

Since they are getting compensated already, then the downloading should be ok.

Think this could be a good defense for someone who gets pulled into court?
There's probably some pretty obvious counter arguement out there.
There is... it wouldn't be so much fun to test the waters with it if it were plain sailing...:)
guilty. <_<
I always seem to be. I got told tonight that all the problems at my last place of work have been blamed on me.... some that were... more that weren't... I love leaving a legacy behind.
This is on the news daily now... Some company or pseudounion representing something or other are suing all sorts of people (anybody and everybody) for possessing "pirated" mp3s. Too bad all they want is money... they might listen to reason otherwise.
It gets worse though when they have gone after a 12 yr old kid, with fines between 1,000 - 2,000 dollars! I mean, I can understand them trying to crack down on people who do this seriously for a living (and some do I should know!) but kids are easy targets and show that the RIAA have no backbone to them.

Just makes me glad I'm not over there ;-)
I bet you have your own problems to deal with.

Me, I'm going to ask anybody who complains about my collection to give me the albums from whence these tracks originated (at cost). When they can't do it, they'll just have to stfu.
If only that would work... I know I'd be asking ! I have always thought the price of CD's compared to what they make them at is extorionate... I mean, radio stations over here can purchase ANY for 50p!