Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam Beta Ends Tuesday
I think that about 85% of the community will take steam, even thou they know nothing about. They will take it because they really don't know much about stuff like this and how its made more to control then to help. 10 to 12 percent will fight it (I'm in this group) and the rest will not bother with it at all.

But for all those that don't take it ir fight it, there will be new people to take their place just because they don't know better.

Sure Steam has its good points, like helping to cut down on pirates and cheaters. But If I have to run it to play the single player and lan games its just stupid. There are all the others things I mentioned that I don't like about it either.

As I said, I will be moving to steam because I HAVE to, just to keep playing Half-Life 1 and keep playing Ricochet with my friends. Depending on what they do after that will determin when I get Half-Life 2.

Course I still have to get a new video card first before I get Half-Life 2 anyway. I still haven't decided which one to go for, for the price range I am looking at I don't have much of a choice.
The cards I looked at where going from £100 to £175 pounds.. that's $150 to $230 dollars :/
So basically, what i've gotten from this post is that ..Hell is going to freeze over... sorry hell will STEAM over.hehe get it, steam..ah nevermind
STEAM seems to have no real attributes that you can grasp hold of either... it's all going through our fingers and they are on top to catch it...!
I myself have had no problems with Steam since I've had it(knock on wood) and I think the good far outweigh the bad.

I have read the comments on the PlanetHalfLife forums and some say they will no longer play HL or any Valve games because of it. I think alot of people are making this into something bigger than it is. Won and Wonid are outdated and needed to be updated and improved from it's 5 year old technology.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Other than the WonID Generators, why?! Streaming patches is only good for those newbs who can't figure out what a computer really is... I prefer to keep patches on a CD... if I have to rebuild, then I apply them, not spend a fornight redownloading them.
the sad thing is the wonID system worked fine and what valve is doing is just rocking the boat seeing if their is any lose change in it, sounds like they should be raiding more couches, might be more profitable.
Nah, it's a corporation... and it doesn't make sense, therefore it's corporately viable... especially in the computing industry... just look at all those dot con's.... ;-)
I got this from the Steam site. We know the Steam beta ends today but here is the official time.

Steam Beta Ends Tonight
As mentioned last week, the Steam beta is now ending. The beta system will be offline at 5:30 PST.

Edit: More News I found.

This is quoted from dodnetwork.com, front page news.

"Steam

All Half Life users will soon need to connect via Steam, which launches at 6pm GMT TOMORROW. Shortly after which the WON servers will be shut down and Steam will be the only option.

Server files are released approximately 11 hours beforehand, when the Steam Beta shuts down early morning today (Tuesday night, PDT - which is 7 hours behind GMT). So expect Server Files to be available around 7am GMT.

Steam will launch with DoD 1.0 but 1.1 is not far away. It also comes with updates to CS and TFC - and all you need is a HL, DoD or CS CD-Key from a purchased product."
I dont have a fast enough processor to run steam, it says i need a 1 gig processor and all i have is a 733. :angry:

frito
bah dont pay attention to that frito..i have a p3 700 mhz and i dl'ed all that crap on satellite and it ran fine for me....
My old comp was a 750 Duron and it ran fine like SS said don't pay attention to that.
You know... I wonder what's gonna happen to mods like TS then ? Does it not work with them?!
Quote:[22:38] -O- (Broadcast) QUAKENET ANNOUNCEMENT - WARNING: There is a new virus disguised as the new "STEAM" software from Value Software, make sure you only DOWNLOAD and RUN PROGRAMS that you know come from TRUSTED SITES.
now that's funny... hahahahah
Don't ya see whats goin on man?!?!?? Its just like T-2. AI, SkyNet all that!!! WE're all gonna die man!!!!! QWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*-=][_=-*
You know... you could be on to somethiing there... self awareness and all that jive... so it took itself off line, but they are forcing it back, at which point it'll retaliate by allowing weapons of mass destruction kill million's of innocent newbies!
The AI! It's spreading through teh video games!
Artificial Idiots?
ppff, we don't need artificial ones.. if we made those, we'd all get over-run
..by lawsuits
something tells me valve knows they made a mistake taking this out of beta... hmm... where have all their forums / support / faq pages gone... (as pointed out to me by Gwar).