Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the Hell??
Hey....I go away for a few days and all "steam" breaks loose.
HELP can someone do me a 'bottom line' of what all is included in the 146 unread messages since last Thursday? I am not touching my wonid until I absolutely have to. That wouldn't be anytime soon is it? I haven't heard from Stefan at HOLDOUTS yet about when he is making the server change...is it Linux compatable?
btw Did anyone even notice I was gone?:(
Im clueless as well, no idea what steam is.
of course i noticed u where gone, you told me ^_^ From what i know steam is a pain in the butt, basically a program to launch hl and hl mods, and to connect them to the net. It also has an auto update program. Seems like a good idea but it really isnt, for reasons i wont go into. From what i've heard/read WON is going down in about a week and a half, give or take, so thats the maximum amount of time you have to get it.
Grits I missed you...and if I were you ..you might want to start tacklin this Steam stuff..its quite complicated but there are some good guides out there..http://forums.dodnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=739 Thats what I've been usin to help me..I've got mine half way workin all the games loaded ..just can't play..but I would get a start on it ..and I guess to say it nicely is start sufferin like most of the people and just get used to not playin :P
bottom line...

STEAM SUCKS

bascially its an anti-cheat, autopatching, launching and messaging program all built into 1 program. As the http://www.steampowered.com site says or used to say (I think its been remove) Play games in seconds. BULL FREAKING CRAP It took me over 2 days just to get one game working then the thing broke again.

Ok now the problems with it...

You name it. Nearly everyone has had every sort of problem with it. I myself have have had problems with it right from the start.

you might as well get it now and start cussing at it for the next couple of weeks because in about 2 weeks (if valve sticks to what they said) you will be forced over to it anyway because they will be shutting down the won servers and anyone that doesn't have steam will be screwed out of play the game online anymore.

When you do install steam go slow and make sure for now you keep your old install of Half-life just incase you're install goes screwy like most of ours has.

BTW missed you too:)
of course gwars post was completly unbaised, seriously, it is stupid, i refer to it as the new coke.
OMG GRITS when are you coming home, I miss you alot, and I am having rico withdraws, I switched and all I can play now is stream rico servers and they are all LAGGY, even with a 65 to 70 ping it is almost unplayable for me :angry:

frito
I think I mentioned to Frito on friday that you were gonna be missed, and that I've posted quite a few new threads/posts so you'd come back to a field day ;-) Hope your break was worth all that you missed.. heh..
STEAM = crap. you dl a game that recuires you to update it as soon as you install it. This takes forever (chances are that it'll lock up on you

Then you have to dl the games which also takes forever (and that is if you are lucky enough to not hav ethe dl lock up on you.)
finally, they only did two things to ricochet: took out the sound YOU make when jumping but left in the sound hte oppenent makes, and hte jumps are slower. All the bugs are still there.

There are many mor issues with it too, but i dont' have enough time to tell you. Of course i don't think Methusala has neough time to tell you.
I agree with everything said above. I am disappointed in Valve in trying to implement STEAM before they were ready. I can't really tell if STEAM is crap or if Valve just didn't have their act together.

Regarding the Ricochet issue of no sound when YOU are jumping...this seems to be a client issue and not any changes to the game dll. I put the STEAM ricochet dll on my non-STEAM server and the sound magically reappeared. Also, regarding the slowness of playing in Ricochet, that may be an inherent STEAM issue or because of bandwidth, although ping was quite low.

I do not believe there were any changes to the Ricochet dll and I also believe we can still replace the server dll with our own. I am hoping to be able to install a Ricochet server but so far no luck in d/l.
there are quite a few things that I like about steam... that I have to admit... the friends list in game, etc... nice touch. The layout in game is nicer too... it looks a li'l smoother on my machine, though there is some quirks with it all too... I think eventually it'll work out... the problem is the rough ride getting there...
so u have to dl all the mods again as well? that would suck, espically if your ISP has a download cap, all those ppl, are gonna pay like 30 bucks to their ISP, for this month.
That's actually a good point. The control over what it downloads and when is SEVERELY limited... it would be far better to have controls like GetRight to manage it...
well if i do go over the download cap this month, i'll just blame it on my siblings :lol:
Especially if you have another CIH outbreak.
they limit how much you download?
I'm not limited...
I had sort of the same situation grits. Anyway, from what I'm reading, I'm ticked that this steam thing is happening. You may not see me for a while. Then again, there's a chance I might get kinda bored and just do it, but right now it would feel like a chore. I don't do chores.
After they've acknowledged the problem with downloading the content via steam, they are making the full packages available online for proper download... so it shouldn't be that bad for you once you get around to it...

I'm considering getting it, just to make steam work properly, but not tonight, too tired...
wait a sec, so the primary feature of steam being the automatic update, doesnt work? gg valve
just think, they wanted to get rid of the whole keep the installation program on your harddrive thing. and here they are giving you installations with everything in em, kind of ironic. So if the massive amount of bandwidth overload happens every update, we should be getting our installations back^_^
well, that's the idea... who knows... I have a post that I'm gonna have to put up, as it quite funnily enough can be doctored from it's original content to fit the whole steam thing...