Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane
well if you guys have been keeping up wiht the news, you'll hear about that hurricane hitting our east coast. Its registered as 5 on the hurricane scale, in other words massive flooding, massive property damage, and massive things flying through the air.

Well its also going to hit washington D.C...... i live an hour north of D.C. in baltimore, sooooo on thursday, friday, and saturday i'm goinng to be praying that my house doesn't get blown over. Actually what i'm really worried about is my roof getting blown off and rain soaking everything in my room, including several computers in my house. In OTHER words for 3 days you won't be seeing me, because i'll have moved my computer, and have it unhooked downstairs. (i can't put it into my basement cause basements tend to flood, which also has several computers in it and an entertainment area) Baltimore is going to get HAMMERED! We aren't prepared for this and we are doing the best we can NOW to prepare for it. I'll probably lose electricity, and probably end up sitting in my bathroom. Meanwhile my soulless job wants me to come to work on thursday and friday (HA! yeah RIGHT!).

SO to sum it all up, in addition to dealing with hurricane STEAM, i get to deal with a real life hurricane, joy! Hope to see you guys again...
Good luck and don't forget to put a couple of garbage bags over top of your computer to help keep the water off of it.
That thing is forecast to hit us Torontonians too. Ought to be interesting enough. Doubt it'll be too windy, but it will bring lots of rain. Now we can see just how non-bouyant the new subway tunnel really is.
That's a shame, over here we had glorious sunshine for once, and I was cycling to work/back and to my friends/back in my shorts and t-shirt... was v. cool...
i wouldnt worry too much pG, i had my share of hurricane experiances, mostly when i was young. First i was coming back from florida, in a plane and it was through a hurricane, only found out later that it was a hurricane, i just remeber it being bumpier then the way their, and lots of ppl throwing up, so basically frat house conditions (if your lucky enough to have the bumpy ride ^_^) and my 2nd story i was camping with my granparents in Pennsylvania and we were in a small trailer (not to sure how big, couldnt have been larger then 14 feet) anyway I dont remeber it being anything big, or any damage. So it couldnt have been anything major.
Has it hit yet? Still sunny over here, and I'm still cycling around in my shorts... though obviously not whilst I'm writing this... though that could be supercool if i was...
Aside from a little fog, which isn't here anymore, it's been relatively beautiful here on the California coastline... good luck!
well acording to a few people i've talked to about it, toronto is supposed to get it thursday/friday, maybe even the weekend.
Toronto gets it thurs/fri... is that like a family sharing scheme or something? Where the governments make arrangements for who looks after the li'l tyke because (s)he's such a tearaway?!

Who has it now?!
She. I can't remember if they alternate years for name genders, or just alternate every other letter, and start on a different gender each year.
That's kinda interesting to know if anyone does... You see, we rarely get anything to name anything anyway... so ... I'd still like to know if it's hit, or waiting to etc.
Having grown up in the south of the US, I have first hand experience with a couple of hurricanes. They started naming them after women waaaaay before I was born but I think evil_admin was around...1953. They use to name them like the military does the alphabet able baker charlie delta etc. And then in 1978 (I may be able to recall this if I try hard) they started including mens names...one of the backlashes of EOW. They alternate them male female as they are named.
At the begining of the year or the season I dont know which, some meterologist sit around and think up names that go through the alphabet (other than QUXZ) I am not sure how they decide whether a girl name or boy name goes first. If it is a hurricane of proportions big enough that you will talk about it for years to come, then they never use the name again...like Hugo.
i think the hurricane naming system is, if it originates from a certain part of the ocean, during a certain time frame, then it will have a certain name, and i guess someone appoints that name, but its all done like years in advance, i know there might be one named after me B) but i forget when (and no you wont be calling it hurricane anonymity, or cake...)
Hurricane fonzie will forever live in my memory
sage_4,Sep 17 2003, 03:05 AM Wrote:Hurricane fonzie will forever live in my memory
Oh Happy Days!!!!!
riiiiiight..... so anyways the hurricance is down to a 2 and is supposed to hit the coast around 2 in the morning on friday
Can they ever become negative, thus an inverse huricane, or better known as an e-naciruh.
wouldn't that just mean that the winds have reversed direction??? and that never happens cause the only time the winds go in the other direction is in hte pacific coast and htey are called typhoons or monsoons.
Ok, here's sommat I never quite understood, why have three or four different words to describe the same thing... ?
There are only hurricane and typhoon, a monsoon is different. It's the calssic "let's ooh and aah at the 'eskimos' for having many words for snow" situation. Now for a little experiment, net, you being a self-proclaimed brit, how many words for rain do you have?

I'll spare you the nausea from reading more emoted coughs, and just say: Specificity. :thumb:
rain, spitting, god's pi...., showers, water works, and "Typical brit weather"
i call it "the magical weather condition that makes customers stop coming and makes work days easier"
It might over there... over here it's just normal british weather so they endure it but come even more miserable than ever!
i thought the food did that
no food usually cheers them up, until they realise how much weight they put on...
netniV,Sep 18 2003, 12:22 AM Wrote:It might over there... over here it's just normal british weather so they endure it but come even more miserable than ever!
i work at a garden center. people dont feel like standing outside looking at plants while its raining. not to mention buying fertilizer, which isnt supposed to get wet.
sage_4,Sep 19 2003, 05:16 AM Wrote:
netniV,Sep 18 2003, 12:22 AM Wrote:It might over there... over here it's just normal british weather so they endure it but come even more miserable than ever!
i work at a garden center. people dont feel like standing outside looking at plants while its raining. not to mention buying fertilizer, which isnt supposed to get wet.
aww shit. that's just gonna cause a stink...
Well, this has to be the lamest excuse for a tropical storm ever. All that happened was a completely unremarkable amount of rain, and as much wind as I've seen on any given day. The only difference was that it happened to be pleasantly warm.
It's been raining tons over here.... I guess it's not very remarkable, but it could be considering the wave of sunny days that came outta nowhere.
well its already passed us over, luckily we didn't get any damage though i heard that alot of ppl lost power and such