Poll: Would you support a Half-Life NO PLAY Day for September 30th, the scheduled release day for HL2?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I would support a NO PLAY Day to let Valve know how I feel
70.00%
14 70.00%
No, I would not support a NO PLAY Day
30.00%
6 30.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Poll
Those of you that have attempted to install the new Valve authentication and delivery system, STEAM, have undoubtedly experienced hours of stress frustration with little or no success.

I like Valve games...I think they are some of the best around and I like the idea of being able to create my own server and even participate in fixing bugs in mods or creating my own mod. However, Valve's implementation of the STEAM system has taken what is supposed to be the simplest part of gaming and made it unbearable. Hours of trying to download the client software only to experience numerous crashes, lockups, etc. For those of use lucky enough to get the client downloaded, there are still major problems.

I would like to propose a NO PLAY day for the Valve gaming community to remind Valve that we are the ones that paid for the games and we are the ones that put up our own time and money for servers and fixes. We are the ones that promote the game and help it spread. Apparently Valve has forgotten that part of the process.

Let me know that you think.

evil_admin
Definately support it.. though out of the many millions, it's gonna be interesting to see if we can't get this to them all... best to do it once WON has been disabled though, so they'll REALLY notice...
It'd be easy enough to do if you spread the word.
i support it, but how would we spread the word? we would have to join everysingle forum boards, for every mod, and that would be the best way to do it, plus, hl2 die hards, are gonna be lineing up the stores to get it, so its not like they will be online, or very willing to do it.
I think I might make a point of reporting this to a few news lists that I am on...:)
All that has to happen is people find out. They will decide whether or not they feel like it.
hence why spreading the word is the best thing to do...:)
I am working on an article that would go up on GRITS' main page...then I will put together a signature with a link to the page and put a post in as many HL forums I can think of. I have already talked to a few of the admins who run HL as a business and they are more than willing to shut down their servers for a day.

We could put the same article on other home pages (uT, OS, etc.) and send them to the main CS pages.

We should also have a couple of translated versions, like French & German for the European gamers. This could easily get acorss the HL gaming community in time.
hope so, too bad this wasnt thought of earlier, or steam didnt provoke us earlier, but we only have 15 days, i hope that enough time, to get it spread, hopefully we have a lot of connections.
I was goin to say no ..but then I looked and saw that it was a tuesday..so I figured with all the homework I get and soccer practice that night I wouldn't even have time to play..but yeh I say lets show Valve how we feel..
Might be hard to get those hackers to stop playin cs though :lol:
how would a no play day be possible..there's all these different time zones..while it's friday here it could be saturday in australia...

Edit: it's actually monday today i was just using friday as an example.
who all is working on this? and when are we going to need to write to other forums? i.e. spreading the word
I have unfortunately not managed to do anything just yet on it...
I have already emailed every email address I have run accrossed that is Vavle related but hell yeah I am up for a "no play day"

thats how people in different parts of the country get there gas prices to go down, dont buy gas for a day and they get the message.

frito the lonely rico steam player
Lonely steam player... you need to find your sidekick and get some upbeat tv music for your very own show ;-)
your son could be a sidekick

The Lonely Adventures of Frito the Lonely Rico Steam Player and his Sidekick Lonely Steam Kid.....

ok so the title needs a little work
What is this going to accomplish?
More than steam.
_Acid_Head_,Sep 17 2003, 12:57 AM Wrote:What is this going to accomplish?
Do you mean the vote or what?
where does this stand? Have we just given in to steam? is Valve apologetic enough not to have a non play day?
Do I really have to d/l steam??
let me know if I can help with any mailings
Sorry for the lack of comments on the STEAM protest thing. I have been monitoring 3 Valve lists (hlds, hlds_linux, hlcoders) and when STEAM first came out and was disastrous there were no comments from anyone at Valve. This is what spurned my idea to protest. However, after a few days Valve started to come around and even apologized for bungling the whole STEAM distribution thing. They put together the larger d/l files so we wouldn't have to d/l from STEAM from scratch, have worked on issues and are receiving and responding to constructive criticism. They even asked the people on the lists if anyone can mirror some of the d/l files until they get over the bump in requests (or increase their bandwidth).

I still believe STEAM has a way to go before it will be at the point that WON is now but I also believe that Valve is working hard and learning from their mistakes.
To be honest, as a developer/network guy, you always worry MORE when things go RIGHT without a SINGLE hiccup... or only minor ones...
i dont realy mind cuz at the 30th im going to a school trip for 3 days :P
Quote:To be honest, as a developer/network guy, you always worry MORE when things go RIGHT without a SINGLE hiccup... or only minor ones...

there is a difference between a 'hiccup' and throwup
a hiccup is a hi cup with a stutter... eg, you stutter and accidentally through your coffee through the air...:)