Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing performers
I just got back from the Telluride, CO Brews and Blues festival today... that's that festival of three days of nothing but live blues music and beer tasting. The headliners were great (Joe Cocker, Buddy Guy, and the Allman Bros. Band). The Allman Bros (as expected) were incredible. Derek Trucks, the 23-year-old guitar genius that replaced Dicky Betts in the band, stuck mostly to slide rhythm guitar, but also had some great solos (example: their intro was 45 minutes long, and Trucks soloed a lot of it). However, even though they kicked ass, the performance that i thought was best was Buddy Guy.
For one thing, Guy is 68 years old, and still one of the best electric guitarists ever. He did an amazing cover of Hendrix's Voodoo Chile, which is ironic, since when hendrix was alive, he was doing Buddy Guy covers. But not only this, but he actually talked to the audience, and even did a little improvisation (he was so impressed with the Telluride area, which is all mountains all around a beautiful valley, that he was reminded of that Hendrix lyric ["i'm standin' next to a mountain / i chop it down with the edge of me hand"], so he decided to perform it on a whim). He also moved all over the stage, and really wailed on that awesome sounding Fender Buddy Guy signature model Stratocaster (it's a tweaked Strat decorated with a solid black background and white poka-dots all over).
And Otis Taylor also has a great act, and i'm disappointed that he didn't take the headliner from Joe Cocker (who was of medium interest). He had Buddy Miles do drums in his set, which was a pleasant surprise, as well.

anyway, i just thought i should share. next year, everyone make plans to go, i don't care what you might be doing with your life, or where you'll be, IT DOESN'T MATTER. this was an amazing 3 days, and i'll never forget them.
I saw Joe Cocker last summer, and althought road hard and put up wet, he still has the intensity. You had to be there in the beginning to appreciate him. Buddy Guy I met at his club Legends in Chicago, I was in Chicago on some some little thing and my bro-in-law came up to see me and we went to this little club he knew and BAM, Buddy came down to do alittle interview for a tv show and sat with us for about 20, btw, the clubs ribs are OUTSTANDING.
...drool....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

i just saw the allman brothers band at red rocks. holy crap it was such a good concert. first off, they had this great (local? either way it was no name) opening act (cant remember name, will get it tomorrow). They were kinda jazzy, motly kick ass. The leader played sax, flute, and sang. the abb did an insane15 minute rendition of whipping post, an awesome version of dreams, and a 35 minute song with guitar solos, drum solos, bass solos, flute solos, and a piano solo by a blind guy! they did a 3 hour set and the first band did 1 hour. they finished it all off with an awesome layla (i didnt know why till my dad told me that Duane Allman had been in derek and the dominoes). well worth the 45 bux (my dad and i wanted to be closer, but the closer seats have been sold out since june). The guitar work of Warren hayes and Derek trucks is insane, and the way they compliment eachother is beautiful. it was basically 3 hours of awe inspiring guitar work.
I really miss good live guitar playing..hope they head this way...problem is not many people stop in Omaha...
well the allman bros. just came through salt lake...so i'm sure they will go to omaha...or they allready did since it seems like they are going westward. it's not my thing, so i stay away...:ph34r: