Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recon Gamers servers now Steam
I post this because it is one of the big name server rental places out there. I considered them one of the best ping wise. The NOH server was from them. Here is their statement:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Monday, September 22nd, Recon Gamer will be updating Half-Life: Deathmatch, Team Fortress Classic and Day of Defeat servers over to the Steam system. With the latest updates made to steam, and with the load on the steam network substantially lower, the issues experienced by most users when Steam was officially released over a week ago have been resolved.

Since this update does not make any major modifications to your game server files, any custom changes you have made to your game server such as custom plugins, maps and configuration files, will remain the same. We will simply update the necessary files to make your game server Steam enabled.

If you do not have Steam, you may obtain the necessary files at http://www.steampowered.com. Steam will be required in order to play on your Steam enabled game server.

Important Notes:
- If your game server utilizes AdminMod, it will be required for you to update your users.ini file to use the new Steam ID's rather than the WON ID's. Recon Gamer will be replacing the core metamod dll, as well as the core adminmod dll's and core amx files to ensure that the version of AdminMod you are running is compatible with the new Steam ID's.

- The WON Authentication system is scheduled to be deactivated within the next couple of weeks. Users who do not update to steam once the WON Authentication system is disabled will no longer be able to play online.

I hope some of the other server rental places start switching soon. I have noticed that there have been more people playing Rico on Steam than on WON at times. I have added the numbers up a few times so I'm not lying. You can check for yourself.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Tiz true, there does seem to be more, plus a lot more newbs.
I still havent heard from Holdouts, I have no idea when the planned change over is and not even sure if steam is compatible with linux
steam is compatible with linux. there is a slight change because of the authentication, but as far as I am aware there isn't too much else that is changed server side. Oh, and you'll need new metamod/adminmod