Poll: When should we change to steam?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
NOW I am waiting for you on steam
22.22%
6 22.22%
When hell freezes over/NEVER
11.11%
3 11.11%
When we are forced to, Lets drag it out as long as we can
66.67%
18 66.67%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heard from Holdouts
All of our servers are still won accessible. Is there a deadline we need to meet? Do we want to go ahead and take the leap or drag the servers out as long as possible on won?
I know it takes forever to connect to steam servers and I can pop in for a quicky on our servers.
I think it is inevitable but just wanted to check your views
What about switching one of the servers over to steam and keeping the other 2 as won for now.

It could be used as a "test" server. This way people that are still having problems with steam can play on one, people that don't have problems with steam can play on either.

And it being a "test" server we could put on all our fixes to it and other stuff. Then when we are forced over to steam we are ready for it and know what to expect :)
Great suggestion GB it is in the works
Not sure which one Holdouts will change over but don't be surprised if you can't get on one of our servers with your wonid:thumb:
If i'm correct, we won't have to worry about that because we just won't see that server threw won. We will only be able to see it in steam... or at least I think thats how it will work.
on my 'Favorites' I have both won and steam servers
and they show up on when I am playing on won but not the other...sorry that was a pun they don't show up on steam if they are not steam but they do on the won, they just wont let me connect to them
Thats strange and annoying. It should just not show them.
If you have favourites they might appear listed, purely because they are your favourites... however, this is to allow for a user to add servers in that haven't appeared in their list for some reason. Now, either way, I don't believe you will be able to access the servers without the right technology anyway.

As it is, I have both... and I will be keeping both until there are no more WON GRITS servers... or maybe until the end so that any of you left on there aren't on your own too much.
w/ ASE, i can see both steam and won servers at the same time...plus i can connect to both from there too.
well, the time has come.. I was gonna try and hold out to switch until i absolutely had to but i went through with it now. I still voted wait until the end though, that's how it always should be...

PROCRASTINATION! :D:lol:
i'm waiting.
Jabba and others you shouldn't wait. You can still play on WON servers if you back up your files during the STEAM installation. It will ask you if you want to. It's better to change now while STEAM is running decently. If you wait until your forced then you are going to run into the massive problems we had doing it when it came out. It will be 10X more bottlenecked then than it was for the manual change. At least doing it now we can help you with what problems you may have getting it going.

As for the servers I would like to see at least 1 of your servers switched over even if it was your HLDM server just to see how things are running like admin and ping. Valve has set no deadline yet until they feel that STEAM is ready and all bugs are ironed out. It's anyones guess how long that will take.

Quote:I know it takes forever to connect to steam servers and I can pop in for a quicky on our servers.

Actually connecting to a STEAM servers now is pretty quick and jumping to other servers with the in-game browser literally takes seconds.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I managed to have it install fine...I would've waited but, it's just that there was constantly this little voice in the back of my head reminding me that I would have to change eventually, so I had to kill it...by switching over
I have both installed, when I was asked if I want to remove my old install of Half-Life I said NO. :D
thats what i did, no problems with using the old system, worked like a charm.
I have both...but while I agree to connect to a different server while you are on steam is really quick...the initial access is slow when you are in the mood for a quick game
GRITS,Sep 26 2003, 04:39 PM Wrote:I have both...but while I agree to connect to a different server while you are on steam is really quick...the initial access is slow when you are in the mood for a quick game
We should get steam to make a pre-loader game, a little mini ricochet pong type deal or something...hehe

We could have different mini-games to correspond with the mod about to be played...

I expect our programmers to get right to work on this, I want it on my desk by monday :ph34r:
Err, sorry been busy, might be able to fit that in sometime around 2315