Poll: Web site sizes, what size do you like?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
800x600
14.29%
2 14.29%
1024x768
35.71%
5 35.71%
Larger then 1024x768
0%
0 0%
Variable size (fits your browser window you use)
50.00%
7 50.00%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web site sizes, what size do you like?
Have you goto a website and had to scroll over to the right just so that you can see everything on the site?

Have you seen web pages that have a whole bunch of empty space on the right and think wow thats a huge waist of space?

Well I'm getting ticked off at some of these sites that are like that. I personally like variable sites that adjust themselves to what your browser window size is that you use. I myself like to full screen my windows so that I can fit the most info on them.

Anyway I was just wondering what other people think?
Whilst that is admirable, there are some designs that look crap if allowed to automatically resize beyond a certain size, and lets be honest, the size a screen can goto is getting larger all the time. So, I say, you aim for middle of the road, allow some resizing but by using CSS you limit the maximum width it can go to so you know how it looks.
I say make it 1024x768, but use frames so that the info is situated in the center up and down at about a size of 600x500 or so.

Here's a site I made in the past using this method.

http://www.geocities.com/soullesssensations/
i use 1600x1200 resolution on all my monitors....lotta landscape for me.

however, basic web development states that you create your sites on the average sized resolution for
the viewer. this is 800x600. yes this looks sucky on a 1600 screen but depending on your audience, you
are suppose to accomodate the average viewer.

shit...i STILL make mine like 1024 though...lol.

:P
Likewise, especially as Windows XP now defaults to 1024x768 I believe....
All of my old sites were based off of 800x600, mainly because thats what rez I was running.

If it didn't take so much effort I would design maybe 2 or 3 versions of the same site all at different sizes so that everyone could pretty much be happy.
one key is to use % instead of fixed pixel width.
Thats something I always use with my sites, unless I need an actual specific size for something.

Its why all my sites expand or contract when the size of the browser window is adjusted.
Tak the Cruel,Jan 27 2004, 04:09 AM Wrote:one key is to use % instead of fixed pixel width.
No, the key is to make your website in such a way that they use a mixture of fixed and variable widthes, thus keeping some standardised look whilst allowing for some dynamic content changing due to sizing. Best of all is using CSS for Max Width settings. Not sure it works completely with IE... but as far as I remember it does ;-)