Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
video game produces violence...
Garbage. You could blame this incident on anything. If these so called "good" parents were truly looking out for their children, they would have taken the game away since it was rated M (For Mature, not for 14 and 16 year olds). They revoked their right to file any complaint towards the content of the game when they let their children keep it. The Entertainment Software Rating Board isn't getting paid to do nothing. These parents are not sueing for damages, they are sueing for their own profit. If anything, the victims should be sueing the parents for negligence. What damages did the parents exactly suffer other than the anguish of learning that their son's are murderers and unstable? The only other harm I could see that took place was the realization that they were terrible parents.
Quote:NEGLIGENCE
The tort of negligence is:

1.   doing something that a person using ordinary care would not do, or
2.   not doing something that a person using ordinary care would do.  W. Page Keeton et al., Prosser and Keeton on the Law of Torts, §§ 28-31.

If they were actually good parents, they would have taught their children proper ethics and morals. These kids had 14 years to learn what right and wrong is, then they just go and throw it all away to listen to a video game that they had been playing for around a month? When one can not recognize the difference between reality and imagination, that's insanity, simple as that.
Quote:the parents of the boys and the boys themselves.
These boys and parents have no one to blame but them themselves. If for 14 years I knew that jumping off a cliff was stupid, and then someone told me it was the smart thing to do, I think I'd go with my own personal opinion. It's called common sense, and these boys are seriously lacking in it. This is just another example of parents taking advantage of a traumatizing situation that their children were in. You could blame this killing spree on ANYTHING, they live in Chicago for god's sake. I could just blame this series of homicides on the large amount of crime and gangs in Chicago. Then again, I could blame it on the 2nd Amendment and Bush for not keeping weapons out of children's hands. Rockstar is being used a scapegoat, the parents just don't want to admit that their children are unstable. The fact that the children are unstable then points to poor parenting, they realize this and are trying to keep the finger pointed in Rockstar's direction. If you buy your child a ticket for a rated R movie and take them to see it, you can't blame the movie or the content for what your child witnessed.

Too be frank, these parents were negligent about the content their children were viewing. I seriously doubt you wouldn't notice the gunshots and sirens blasting through the house from this game. These people ignored what they were seeing, hence, negligence. People do not go on shooting sprees due to video games. There are always multiple sources of the problem: Not well liked in school, lost faith, child abuse, divorce, whatever. No one thing can cause such a breakdown. It's like getting a flat tire, no big deal. Then again, let's say your tire popped while hitting 80 on the freeway heading for a job interview that would keep you out of bankruptcy. This would cause you just a little more stress than the previous situation. These parents were not aware of their children's self-esteem or their life style. The blame can not just be shoved in Rockstar's lap. Grand Theft Auto III sold over 8 MILLION (Probably more now, remember this figure from before Vice City came out) copies. Yet, we're only getting 2-3 of these cases. That means that only .0000002%(Rounded) of the people that bought the game caused an incident like this. What if the Zodiac killer liked Foster Farms chicken, does that mean you're going to sue Foster Farms for indirectly causing the murders? Scapegoat for shitty parenting Rockstar has become.

Messages In This Thread
video game produces violence... - by RuNnInG_wIth_ScISsOrS - 11-03-2003, 08:22 PM
video game produces violence... - by Guest - 11-03-2003, 08:41 PM
video game produces violence... - by g-boy - 11-03-2003, 10:04 PM
video game produces violence... - by Wha? - 11-03-2003, 10:29 PM
video game produces violence... - by Gwarsbane - 11-03-2003, 10:53 PM
video game produces violence... - by Gwarsbane - 11-03-2003, 10:59 PM
video game produces violence... - by jabbahunt - 11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
video game produces violence... - by g-boy - 11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
video game produces violence... - by jabbahunt - 11-04-2003, 01:03 AM
video game produces violence... - by fritoman - 11-04-2003, 08:43 AM
video game produces violence... - by Gwarsbane - 11-04-2003, 01:38 PM
video game produces violence... - by Beebs - 11-04-2003, 02:29 PM
video game produces violence... - by Beebs - 11-04-2003, 04:29 PM