Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
video game produces violence...
Ok, here we go. First off, I'm big on psychology and am about to switch to it as my major. One big thing you learn is the difference between cause and effect and correlation. Statistically, we may find it to be true that those who play violent video games are more aggressive. Does it mean that the games caused the aggressiveness? HELL NO. Not even close. It's much more likely that other things have made the person aggressive, and playing games is a release. In other words, someone who is aggressive is more likely to play violent games, not the other way around. This does not mean normal people who play these games go out and shoot people or are aggressive at all. I love GTA3, HL games, in fact almost every game I play is violent... even football can be regarded as violent... football and hockey are my favorite sports. You look at my behavior in the video game world, one may conclude that I'm an aggressive and potentially violent person. If you asked anyone who knew me, I don't have an ounce of violence in me. I am a generally quiet person (unless it's a friend I'm comfortable with) and most of my thoughts come out on paper or typing. I am against violent people and rant about them all the time. So, no, playing a god damn video game will not induce violence. In fact, I'm surprised a psychologist said all that, because I'd think psychologists would be the ones who could most clearly see that they don't cause violence. There is no mechanism in a teenager's mind that would result in a monkey-see-monkey-do effect. In a young child? YES. Definitely.

It's like what RWS was saying. Look, I'm 18, I remember being 14 and 16. I played games then. I was not a moron, I knew right from wrong, the concrete had set so to speak. I never had any impulse to do anything I'd seen in a game or on TV that is wrong. At that point, for all intents and purposes, you're an adult. Maybe not completely mature, but an adult in the sense of impressionability. I was surprised diablo was playing ricochet because of his age. Now ricochet is fine, but I'd never want someone as young as him playing HL type games, and definitely not GTA3. There is a chance of future consequences as a result, if someone that age plays enough.

The bottom line is, the kids who did this had OTHER problems and perhaps this compounded it. If they were reacting to what they saw in a game, it means something psychologically was wrong, a disorder of some kind, to where their minds have not matured to their true age. Or, they are just a couple of sick ass holes who committed murder, like any other sick ass hole out there. And they happened to play video games, like MOST teenage males. Ladies and gentlemen, video games and TV do not cause violence... there may be a positive correlation (not a very good one at that), but it doesn't cause shit. People like to look for someone or something to blame for bad things that happen. The 2nd amendment isn't responsible either. Take it away and there will still be guns. Take it away and there will still be explosives and knives and crossbows and poison and fists and feet. What matters is the mind behind the person who pulls the trigger or lights the fuse. What matters behind that mind is the parents and genetics. People kill people.

Messages In This Thread
video game produces violence... - by Guest - 11-03-2003, 08:41 PM
video game produces violence... - by g-boy - 11-03-2003, 10:04 PM
video game produces violence... - by Wha? - 11-03-2003, 10:29 PM
video game produces violence... - by Gwarsbane - 11-03-2003, 10:53 PM
video game produces violence... - by Gwarsbane - 11-03-2003, 10:59 PM
video game produces violence... - by jabbahunt - 11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
video game produces violence... - by g-boy - 11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
video game produces violence... - by jabbahunt - 11-04-2003, 01:03 AM
video game produces violence... - by fritoman - 11-04-2003, 08:43 AM
video game produces violence... - by Gwarsbane - 11-04-2003, 01:38 PM
video game produces violence... - by Beebs - 11-04-2003, 02:29 PM