Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KotOR
I suck donkey nuts at writting reviews, so don't consider this one:PIt's just me saying "OMG KOTOR ROX"

Just finished downloading this game and started playing it for an hour. I would've gone and bought it (yes I wanted it that bad!) but the two Fry's near me were SOLD OUT. I am already very much impressed. It's like playing Star Wars with similar rules to D&D, anybody that loved Baldur's Gate/NWN (like me) and loves star wars should buy this game right away.

BioWare tried something new with the game engine, and it worked, especially on PC since you can have hotkeys setup. The combat system is turn-based similar to Baldur's Gate, but unlike BG2, I rarely have to use the pause feature to give commands between turns, everything seems fast-paced, but controllable on PC because of what Xbox didn't have (hotkeys). Tons of quests, so you'll always have your hands full doing one more tasks at a time.

Characters are fully customizable, there are loads of skills, feats, and force powers for further progression. There are mini-games, swoop racers, some game of cards I haven't figured out yet, and the ship's turrets to fight off incoming ships. I heard the PC version has some new mini games, but I haven't found any yet (well, I just started). What I love most about BioWare RPGs is how very LEGNTHY the games are, you can expect a slow start from this game, just like all BioWare games, but trust me, it gets better and better as you progress in the storyline and get more interesting quests.

Only problem I have so far is I can't remap the movement keys (the numpad), but that's not really a big problem because it has the same movement abilities using the mouse as EverQuest (left click to hold around, hold left and click right to move forward). The other problem I have is how some of the models look identical, same face and everything, but these models are few, and I don't blame them for adding more models/textures, the game is already 4 CDs.
I played it on xbox... and I was very impressed. I didn't really know what I expected from it but it is basically one of the best star wars games ever, i like the whole good guy bad guy thing.
Yeah, best SW game I have ever played, lots of decisions throughout the game that affects stuff in the storyline (mainly the light side/dark side thing, alternate endings depending on what you go for). So far the only issue performance-wise on PC is some certain areas (including one of the very first) are impossible to move around in, a framate of literally 1/2 fps in some zones. It's cool though, BioWare is doing their thing and already released a Beta patch, I'm sure they'll fix most of the bigger issues in a week max.

I wanted to roleplay a black jedi though:(
is that even an option?
I'm resurrecting this thread, because KoTOR is one of the greatest games ***I'm Stupid for Swearing***ing ever. The story is great and extremely versatile, which I expected from Bioware. The gameplay is amazing and the enviornment is beautiful. If you want a classic game for any genre, get this game. If there is one thing that makes this game one of the greatest games of 2003 though, it's the character development. You have an effect on the world around you and the NPCs of the game are worth talking to. This isn't some shitty DAoC or Everquest NPC that spits out incoherent gibberish at you, these are real characters with a history, a motive, and a style. The voice actors for the game put on a better performance than most movies/animations. If you want a classic gaming moment, talk to Canderous about his old war stories. I got the game a week ago, (a little late) and I just got past Dantooine, but this is the best Star Wars game period. Jedi Knight 2 and Academy can't hold a candle to this game. It is amazing.
You are SO right. I spent like a month playing it on xbox whenever i had time (ie. not working, drinking or playing pc...) but it is, as you say, easily the best. Being a darkside type i obviously sold out the working classes every time (who the hell would give away that viral serum???) I managed to piss off many ppls.

But.... the consistency of the characters...... the plot twists....... the just generic amazingness of that game.

I miss it, but not enough to go out and buy it for myself.
EEEEXCEELLEEEEEEENNT!!
[Image: SkaWars.JPG]
Its only one player right? If it was multi, I would buy it in a heartbeat but then there is Jedi Knights or w/e which is multiplayer. Which one should I buy?
so all of yall figure this is where we lost acid_head to? or you think it was a woman?
acid said he was getting back into elfquest. that game is uber-addicting i hear. i tried my first mmorpg last weekend. some game called 'fairyland'. it seemed fun, but i deleted it later that evening because i knew it would become a huge time-sink.
Last i remember acid had a woman. With the whole weed helps sex thing.
he's had a woman for the longest time though. oh well, not my biz...i'm sure he'll tell us later.
just got kotor and you're right...its damn good.

Quote:Jedi Knight 2 and Academy can't hold a candle to this game. It is amazing.

now why can we have kotor + academy?
So wait for a combination game or just buy KOTOR? ANd if I buy kotor then do I buy it for xbox or pc.