Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damnit
Ok, so reformatted my computer. Redownloaded the steam install and for somereson something stopped it from . . .well, doing anyhting at all. Other than update it managed to do that but then I saw no sign of it. I uninstalled it and now the install i downloaded vanished. I re-install my game (for WON) but it doesn't seem to be able to retrieve any server list, as if there's a problem with my internet, understandable, I mean my internet has been acting wierd, giving me back those "cannot display page" messages or whatever it says. Bottom line is, something is messed up and I dunno how to fix it. . . and input would be helpful.
Do you have a router or firewall? You have to forward some port ranges if so.

In this same thread, I'd like to ask for similar help, I can play CS and all HL mods on WON, and I can log into STEAM, but I can't seem to login to any STEAM server, my connection simply dies when I try, and the only way to fix it is by resetting my router. I have done everything necessary to play on STEAM (I was playing fine right before the update that screwed up STEAM for me), anybody else have this problem? I kinda miss CS 1.6:(
I was having the same problem as both of you, first i wasnt able to log on and find anyservers because my firewall wasnt getting shut down when I "shut it down" it was still running in the back ground for some reason, net showed me what was happening and we uninstalled it and reinstalled a better firewall and it works great, as for not finding the install that you downloaded, did you do a file find for it on your computer? maybe you can locate it that way. also did you download the patch for CS when you reinstalled? from like 1.001 to 1.005.

as for acid, I was getting logged on to a server and then almost as quick I would get booted off, I am sure you have done this but when it would do that to me I would shut down steam and start back up and then it had an install for me to download before it would run the game, which I did and it fixed the prob so I dont think this is going to be any help to you cept it sounded like the same problem. and I am sure you have your game set to autoupdate right?
I'm not missing an update, and I can't get onto any servers, let me exaplain how it happens. I start STEAM, I can update the server list once, then I can't refresh it any longer (nor individual servers), my router stops receiving packets from ANYWHERE, only way for it to start receiving packets again is by resetting it. This doesn't happen on any other online games, just STEAM.
Ok, first off, the first one with Trippy sounds reasonably like a virus actually. Might sound strange, but I've had two people recently come to me and say, "my internet is broke" with the above issues. Turned out that a virus scan worked a treat.

In frito's case, he had problems as his system was freezing up when using Zone Alarm (standard edition). Changing that worked, simply got him to uninstall it, since when I was remotely viewing and clicked on Zone Alarm's window, I got no updates anymore.

Acid, sounds a li'l like the situation that frito was experiencing so maybe you have a firewall issue generating dodgy packets ? If you want me to take a look at it for you some time, msg me, you have my MSN:)
i have to dl a security module for every server i go on, but other then that im working fine.