Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important Steam Information
I just read some of the stuff on the site. The cache folder contains steam's virtual file system, so basically, the content steam is delivering. It's not where your game goes. It's where the pertinant info is stashed until it's needed. It gets rid of old data to maximize the empty space, and adds new stuff as it's needed.

At least, that's what it sounds like.

Where I'm pissed is that it needs you to auth to connect to a friggin lan game. wtf? That's just crass. "Duh Why would you not have internet acces from your lan? guhh". Idiots. Now I can't even have a LAN party without some way of asking mommy if it's okay. ****ers.

Untill this poorly planned (or just magnificently pathetic attempt at evil) came about, I could have hosted a CAKE microLAN at my cottage. It would have been comparable to The Second Coming, but no, I have to sit on my thumbs instead, because valve didn't think about that.

Given how stupid all these problems are, I bet they haven't even thought about what happens when they release something, and people are playing. I bet they haven't even realized how annoying it is when somebody forgets to turn kazaa tf off before playing.

grr... progressive conservative ad campaigns and no play make Wha? a dull boy.
They are going to fix that who LAN thing I read that.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
what i dont understand is, why not leave it optional? you'll have ppl that will dl it anyhow to be lazy for the auto updates, and then you'll have ppl who dl the patches a website. And whats so diffrent about the steamID? vs the wonID?
Its now 10:52pm AST (6:52pm PST) and still no steam.

I have heard it might be released 8pm PST, but its not anything officials.
wonid is just based off your serial number.

Steamid is suppose to be based off your serial number AND your e-mail address.

Due to the crush of people complaining about it (or at least thats my guess) it has been offically announced (again thats what I have heard) that a lan and single player patch will be made.

Auto updates will be 100k there, 500k here stuff like that. I have heard (again nothing offical) that large patch files will be avaliable but not very often. Course I don't see anything wrong with having one large patch twice a year.
Well it's going for midnite here in the east I doubt it's coming out. 2 days in a row Valve dropped the ball. They should have never set a time and date (was 9/10 at 11AM PST) if they weren't 100% sure they were going to release it on time.
well, it's several hours later, and still nothing has been posted... ? Guess they haven't got around to it yet... As for the lan thing, it's cool that they are gonna patch for that... however... one question....

Don't you have to be playing via steam to get the patch?
To my knowledge all future patches will be through Steam.
Steam is out. I don't know when it came out. I went to bed at 12AM Eastern and it wasn't out then. I waked up at 5AM and it was out.
Yep its out...I woke up before school..ran to the downstairs comp and started gettin it..but its sooo slow..Updating Steam Platform..soo slow..:angry:
so naturally the site is down... :/
servers are so bogged down..you cant update the steam platform..i have the installer but you cant do anything becaues its swamped
I went to bed at 2 am EST and it wasn't out then, I woke up and its released.

Funny thing is THE FREAKING SITE IS SO VER LOADED NO ONE CAN GET ON!!!!!

I have found 2 links for it.... well one link and a bit torrent link but I don't trust them till I can actually see the links for myself on the steam page which is not gonna happen till they shove in a few more OC12 pipes into Valves website
well im stuck on Converting Half-Life files into steam cache... shit takes way to freakin long
Now that I have finally upgraded to DX9, I will try installing steam.

I personally think its STUPID to have a cache of files instead of just doing updates like before.

I fell real bad for people on models, they are getting pretty much screwed with steam from my understanding of it.
Well, my steam is being updated...
I'm gonna wait, takes 2 weeks give or take to dismantle WON, so im gonna wait a week, and hopefully the rush will be done, more or less.
I thought I might get an advantage being in the UK at a time when most american's would be at work / school... didnt' pay off.
When I did it at 5:30 this morning everything transfered easy. It would not let me enter any games though. ASE thinks I uninstalled HL and won't let me connect to any servers.
soulsolution,Sep 12 2003, 09:16 AM Wrote:well im stuck on Converting Half-Life files into steam cache... shit takes way to freakin long
Same here..I got home from school and started it up again ..and now I'm stuck at this...
Well, Gwar has generated a Steam-problem specific thread... I think valve are really going to get some stick for this... I have half a mind to send this on to the BBC news... they'd have a field day with it...:)
:angry:Ok mine is serously stuck..Its looked like this for bout 20mins now...and my computer isnt workin or anything( you know you can hear the sounds when its workin) and its quite look a good comp..and I can hit X on steam and it doesn't even do anything... :angry:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok, take your problem over to the problem thread, but that's actually not too bad. Take a look inside Steam\SteamApps see what .gcf's you have... can't believe I'm already getting technical about a new product :/
Well mine has now completly stopped workin now...:angry::angry::angry::angry:
http://www.vadavaka.com/forums/index.php?a...view=getnewpost

^^ I posted something there to check...