Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ricochet Fixes + Steam
So, I got to thinking... if all the mod stuff is streamed through Steam... are we still gonna be able to fix shit? Or is it gonna be a case of, sorry guys, you did a good job, but we couldn't be arsed accomodating you....

for those wondering if I sound a li'l narked off, I am... this Steam stuff is proving to be crap so far, despite the added benefits of registration, etc.
thats a good point, and all the stuff that kermit.asm did was going to be in vein, but all we can do now is hope.
Now you guys are realizing what I have been going on about. I think Steam is a HUGE mistake.
There's a petition against steam that already has 10k signatures.
someone should provide a link on here for those that never really venture out side our forums:)
Yes I will gladly sign that petition..this stuff is BS..:angry:
I'll sign it, and I will put it up on a few forums for others to sign it too.
I have been reading the feedback from both the coder side and the admin side...it is running about 50 to 1 against STEAM...no suprise there.

There seems to be a good news/bad news thing when it comes to Ricochet.

Only Valve-sanctioned mods are currently supported through the STEAM updates, of which Ricochet is not one of them. What that means is that when STEAM updates the server files it re-writes the llibgame file is overwritten. However, botman is looking into this as this also affects major plugins like MetaMod, etc. so if this is fixed we can set up Ricochet, with our own fixes and continue to play.

We may not want Valve to sanction Ricochet as they will most likely be overwriting the dll file and will certainly not actually do any updates.

I am going to try to set up a STEAM server this weekend to see how bad it wil end up being to get a mod up and going.
I kinda thought it'd be down to that lib file, after all it's what adminmod/metamod uses to hook the dll's into the server. As for being against them... i'm not surprised... they should have said, hey... it's shit, lets update it and push it back... but they won't... because of hl2...
Here you go:

http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
11194 Signatures Total

Now that sams sommat....
It could have a million sigs it's not going to change anything.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
So have you signed? 11342 Total Signatures

in the space of time since I did!
Nope.
12607 it grows fast
12855 Total Signatures

Maybe it's slowing down a li'l now?
12988 now

Seems to to getting alot of people to me.

Why haven't you signed yet power? You like steam?
oh lets not get into STEAMwars...
It may not change anything, but at least you're voicing your opinion. It's a free country:)
I say if it kill CS, it can't be that bad.
I don't care for Steam either but it is here so we have to deal with it. I'm sorry if I am one of the lucky ones where Steam has been working relatively fine. I am not going to sign something that has no purpose. I agree with Acid that you should voice your opinion. I however do not have to sign a petition to voice mine.
That sounds almost obstinate of you... as if you are saying that the rest of us are just mere folk, and because you haven't had a problem, you don't care.
What the hell would you like me to do? If you feel good signing a petition then go ahead. Like Acid said it is a free country so I choose not to sign a petition. I'm sorry if I have a differant OPINION than you. Sure I feel bad that it is not working for you hopefully things will work out.
Hey, I was just givin' ya a hard time for standing alone... even if it'd been perfect, I'd have still found fault with it (I'm a brit - and they didn't get it right).
Hmmm... anyone know where valve HQ is? We can get some serious attention then. Suddenly we aren't intangible lines of text, our words carrying as much weight as other people's feelings do for a llama. Just spread the word: Protest @ Valve HQ on <date in a few months>

People will show up, valve won't be happy, and I get to feel good about not being legally responsible for my own plan.
Unfortunately, there's no way I am coming across half the world for one day ;-) But, it's a good plan for those that are over there...

Quote:Registrant:
Valve, LLC (YHZHBRZSOD)
  520 Kirkland Way Suite 201
  Kirkland, WA 98033
  US

Domain Name: STEAMPOWERED.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Cross, Daniel  (DCD811)          [email protected]
      Valve, LLC
      520 Kirkland Way
      Suite 201
      Kirkland, WA 98033
      US
      425-889-9642 xt147 fax: (425) 827-4843

Record expires on 09-Aug-2010.
  Record created on 02-Nov-2002.
  Database last updated on 14-Sep-2003 07:55:54 EDT.