Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer Movies
If anybody here has a good understanding of quantum physics (if that's even possible) and many billions of dollars to spend on a particle accelerator, I propose this experiment:
Construct the accelerator in a "figure 8" as opposed to an ellipse, then attempt to cause a collision (or at least an interaction) between a single particle and itself.

If sufficient speed can cause relative time to reverse--rather than slow to a stop (at light speed) and plateau--then the particle will cross the intersection more than twice each lap. Echoes would appear as the relative time difference between the particle and it's future (more accelerated) self grew, eventually causing the particles to meet at the crossing point. The grandfather paradox can then be examined.

As for going back, simply being there influences things; microgravity, static electricity, etc. The less you do, the longer it takes for the exponential increase in changes to appear, but farther along, there will always be significant alteration.
If you hang out arounda black hole for a couple months and come back down to earth...it'll be as if you'd have left for a couple years...of course, this'll only help to travel into the future..i suppose that's kind of irrelevant to all this grandfather pardox stuff.
i'll not play devil's advocate this time: i think that time travel movies are simply there to entertain, and in order to make the movies not ubsurdly dumb, they put a little thought into it, and tried to convince the audience that it could happen. When logic is applied, the movie is ruined, and never had a purpose. thanks, all you cynics. by trying to put logic into the theories of james cameron, you've destroyed the world. so, did you prove him wrong, or prove him right? hard to tell. i say, avoid time travel, and stick with classics like "Aliens." Great movie, not so much thought. Plus you get Bill Paxton. =). (bytheway, whichever movie you prefer, the Terminator, or Aliens, you'll get Bill Paxton either way: he plays a punk at the beginning of Terminator.)
^_^
Hmmm.... Since that black hole deal's just you slowing down and thinking real time is moving faster, perhaps in faster-than-light travel, you wouldn't travel backwards, instead just come back younger than when you left, many years later.

Unfortunately that makes sense, so it can't be right.
lol..I thuoght about that after I posted it...but decided to leave well enough alone and not say anything.
one of the astronauts who went up in the shuttles in the 80's had a twin brother. they did the math and with the speed that the shuttle traveled, the astronaut brother is now 2 minutes and .00000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds older than the other brother, opposed to just 2 minutes.

it makes sense, i just cant remember how.
brokend,Aug 26 2003, 04:57 PM Wrote:i'll not play devil's advocate this time: i think that time travel movies are simply there to entertain
lets face facts. if you go back in time with the intention to change something, you already know that you didnt. the only thing you could ever do is go into the future, and if you cant find any records of yourself from after you left, then you know that your time machine ran out of gas.

i love conversations that can go from bad movies to quantum physics.
a rule of thmub that i try to use would be accepting their theories and if it happens to be an accepted scientific theory then all the better.